7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2008 3:51 AM by (Mitch411)

Chapter Navigation (Non-DVD)

I am looking for a way to provide navigation in an online video and am wondering what my options are. I'm still learning my way around posting video online.
      Camtasia Studio allows you to place navigation within a video, but it appears that it's dependent on being a flash export.
      My questions are: Does Premier Pro have a comparable feature? And is it possible to make it work with other formats beside flash?
      Thank you.
        • 1. Re: Chapter Navigation (Non-DVD)
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I think your best bet here would be to edit the video, then make the DVD project in Encore, then author a Flash export from there.
          • 2. Re: Chapter Navigation (Non-DVD)
            Steven L. Gotz Level 5
            Agreed. The chapters will work like a DVD player, but it will all be done in Flash. Which means it will work on a PC or a Mac.
            • 3. Re: Chapter Navigation (Non-DVD)
              akribie Level 2
              Do you also have Flash? If so, you have further and more flexible options to interact with FLV video which you might want to explore.
              • 4. Re: Chapter Navigation (Non-DVD)
                Level 1
                Thank you for the replies. I do have Flash, but have always had difficulty trying to figure the program out. :(

The main complication I have with Flash video is that with our CMS (a multi-site Drupal 5.x installation), I have problems getting all the Flash files linked correctly so that the play buttons work properly. I wind up with a video that auto-plays and without any controls. I have been using Google Video to link and play the video files, which has been working great, but now my director wants to have chapter links, especially for longer videos.

I was hoping to find a non-flash solution that would include something like the chapter menus, but realize that it may not be possible.
                • 5. Re: Chapter Navigation (Non-DVD)
                  akribie Level 2
                  Suggest you look for some tutorials on line for Flash and FLV with cue points. Not too difficult and very powerful. http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/video_workshop/ for the Adobe set might be a good starting point. The Flash help file on cue points may also prove helpful.

It helps if you can use Actionscript. http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/9.0/main/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=Li veDocs_Parts&file=00001037.html may illuminate.

Having made the swf with associated functionality (preferably with all on-line assets in the same folder off the root of your web site), importing the swf into Dreamweaver and placing it on a web page is a breeze.
                  • 6. Re: Chapter Navigation (Non-DVD)
                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                    If you create the DVD menu in Encore and export to Flash, all of the cue points will work just like a DVD.
                    • 7. Re: Chapter Navigation (Non-DVD)
                      Level 1
                      Timeline markers in the Premiere Pro sequence become Flash navigational cue points when the file is exported as an FLV from the Adobe Media Encoder. No need to re-encode the file in Flash (although encoding as FLV in flash will let you add event markers as well as navigational markers. Additionally, if you add timeline markers then double-click them to open them, you can create webmarkers for use in a web authoring tool like Dreamweaver. To do this specify a frame and a URL you want to trigger in the marker, then export the file as Realmedia or QuickTime.