7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2009 7:43 AM by Jim_Simon

Importing from DVD CAM

Level 1
      Hi, I just installed Adobe Premiere Pro but I don't know how to import my videos from my DVD CAM. Could anyone tell me how to import from DVD CAM?
      Thank you
        • 1. Re: Importing from DVD CAM
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
          Use the software that came with the camera to capture. Demux the captured files (i.e., split each file into separate video and audio files). Convert the demuxed audio into PCM .wav files. Import the demuxed and converted video and audio files into Pr for editing.

If the software that came with the camera can't demux the captured files, then you will need a third-party tool to do it. Google for MPEG Streamclip - it's free and will do the job. For demuxing, you won't need the Quicktime MPEG module.

-Jeff
          • 2. Re: Importing from DVD CAM
            Level 1
            my camera which is Hitachi DZ-GX5040E did not have that kind of software.
            • 3. Re: Importing from DVD CAM
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              You should have investigated that camera before buying. You can still watch your shots, just not edit them without going through all kind off cumbersome conversions and additional steps.
              • 4. Re: Importing from DVD CAM
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                >my camera which is Hitachi DZ-GX5040E did not have that kind of software.

Then you will need to Google for DVD ripping software that can rip the .VOB files off of the DVD that was recorded by the camera into separate .m2v and .wav files.
                • 5. Re: Importing from DVD CAM
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  Or, just use consumer software to match the consumer camera. Maybe something like Movie Edit Pro from Magix.
                  • 6. Re: Importing from DVD CAM
                    cellobella Level 1

Was just given 2 DVD cam discs containing footage that was shot at a concert I am editing. On reviewing the discs, I noticed that each song is assigned to a separate chapter on the DVD.   I'd really like to use this footage as it provides additional camera angles I didn't cover.  I am going to use my old Ulead Video Studio 8 program to convert the DVD files to mpg's for editing in Pr. (I will also check out the software Jeff mentioned).  I'm trying to convert each chapter on the DVD to an mpeg2 file so the files size is manageable.

The footage I shot is mini DV, and I plan on mixing the two sources.    What do I need to look out for as far as the "conversions/extra steps" you mentioned?

Thanks.

cellobella

• 7. Re: Importing from DVD CAM
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

If you're going to convert, then convert to DV AVI, not MPEG.  The media is already in MPEG format.  That's the problem.