7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2008 11:07 PM by (Malick_A)

Hardware Upgrading... advice needed

Level 1
      Hi All

I am considering the components below and would like get some knowledable
      feedback from the pros. I will be editing DV material (SD) and some
      HD. Editing PPro 3 and AE3

Motherboard: ASUS P5K3 Deluxe

Processor:Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB
      L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

RAM: What do you recommend? 4 Gb Corsair? or Kingston?

Graphics Card: Nvidia Quadro FX 1700 by PNY Technologies
      with Pro Video Edition Breakout Box

What dual layer-DVD writer do you recommend?

Also would like to add 2 x 20" Samsung lcd's or should I go for
      2 x 22" Acer Crystalbright displays? (for almost double the price)

I have numerous Seagate (8mb cache) 250 Gb and 320 Gb HDD

an Antec 450W Powersupply and Antec Powerview Full tower case.

Thanks for your comments

Malick
        • 1. Re: Hardware Upgrading... advice needed
          Dag Norum Level 2
          Hi Malick,

Recently I bought the ASUS P5Q motherboard and the same CPU as you.
          (and of course 4GB RAM, a graphic card Nvidia 8800GT w/1GB RAM, dual layer DVD burner, etc)

It's not much I can say because it's still so new that I don't have to much experience (CS3 is also new for me). I tend to do my paid-for projects on a PC and software I know well, and gradually do the shift. The new PC is fast though.

Anyway, two things:
          1. Get a more powerful power-supply!!!
          2. LCD's aren't good (well, they look OK, but ******* to calibrate) unless they are expensive. A very good LCD is quickly up to 2000 USD, if you want a good one for photography. OK, for video it's not such a big deal as you should always judge quality seeing your production on a TV-set.
          I have taken advantage of the new "LCD-times". Everybody seems to toss out their old CRT's, and I just picked up some 20 inch monitors. CRT's are easy to calibrate unless they are old and burned out. Hey, free is a good price for nice monitors. They take up a lot of space, but I have enough of that so...

Dag
          • 2. Re: Hardware Upgrading... advice needed
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            I think the mobo and CPU are good choices. I think either RAM option will suffice. I think your graphics card is serious overkill. An ATI 4850 or even a 3870 should be more than enough for your proposed displays. The Sony/NEC Optiarc AD-7200S DVD burner got very a good write up at CDRinfo.com. I'd consider the new Spinpoint F1 drive for media storage. It's very fast, and large. Something smaller (75GB or 80GB) for the system drive, as anything larger is wasted. Use the current Seagates for project/scratch and export drives.

And definitely get a bigger power supply. At least 600W.
            • 3. Re: Hardware Upgrading... advice needed
              Level 1
              Thanks Dag & Jim
              I can get the Antec 550W at a good price - is this okay? I'll have
              a maximum of 2 drives (project and scratch) plus the ops drive in at a time. If not I will go for a 600W.

I haven't got much space in my studio and considering changes my
              other 2 (existing) edit suites to LCD as well. My assistant
              already has no space to have his lunch! ;-) The desk width is about
              a meter or so.

Yes, I do monitor on a TV set - an old 37" Sony Trinitron calibrated.
              A really excellent tv set.

Jim - I want to free up my camera instead of using it as a "breakout box" Do you really think the FX 1700 is an overkill? Would the 1500
              be a more modest choice? I would'nt mind as the 1700 is almost $500.
              Also consider that I only upgrade every 3 years.

i An ATI 4850 or even a 3870...
              will check these out.

I haven't a clue about dvd burner - so will go for the The Sony/NEC Optiarc AD-7200S DVD burner as suggested.

Yes, my system drive is 80GB.

I have 2 Seagate Freelance externals (750 Gb) for media storage and backup.

Thanks for your input.

I have a few more days to finalise my order
              (until this Friday 29 August) so more comments are most welcome. Thanks!

Malick
              • 4. Re: Hardware Upgrading... advice needed
                Level 1
                Jim

Had a look at the Samsung Spinpoint F1 drive - very impressive.
                Up to 20% faster and way cooler!

the 1Tb aren't too pricey either.

Thanks!
                • 5. Re: Hardware Upgrading... advice needed
                  Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant
                  Don't forget the minimum disk requirement for true HD editing is "striped disk array storage (RAID 0) for HD" if that is your goal. If by your reference is just HDV you probably can get by with a single fast drive.
                  • 6. Re: Hardware Upgrading... advice needed
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    >I'll have a maximum of 2 drives

Bad move. Use a minimum of three - System for OS and programs, one for Projects/Scratch, and a third really big one just for media. Add a fourth if you can and use it for exports.

If you're main goal with the Quadro is video out, then it may be a good option. However, check into this. Make sure the 1700 can actually output video from Premiere. Not all cards can. Also check around, you may find nVidia gaming cards that can do it as well, and they'll be a LOT less expensive. You could probably get a much better CPU for the price difference between a really good gaming card and a low end workstation card. And that much better CPU will serve you a LOT more than a workstation card.
                    • 7. Re: Hardware Upgrading... advice needed
                      Level 1
                      Bill, yes - just HDV. (I use Sony FX1 and Z1 cameras)

i I'll have a maximum of 2 drives
                      Excluding my ops drive. So it is a maximum of three.
                      I like the idea of another drive for exports. Its can then also be added to my backup and hopefully final resting place for all projects.

i that much better CPU will serve you a LOT more than a workstation card
                      very true. Thanks Jim