14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2009 1:20 PM by (Hennig_Productions)

XDCAM 422 - Sony PDW700 50mbs Camera Support... When?

I have lodged a support request to confirm when the 50mbs version of the XDCAM codec will be available natively in Premiere.

I attended the NAB in Las Vegas this year to hear first hand that the XDCAM format will be supported natively, (INCLUDING THE NEW Sony PDW700 Camera).

However it is now clear that the recent upgrade does NOT support the 50mpbs codec. I'm quite dissapointed as I have just spent $40,000.00 on a new camera, and Premiere CS3 does not support this camera as stated at the NAB conference..

I am yet to receive a reply from adobe on ETA for this update. I understand there is a 3rd party plugin made by MainConcept, but this is an additional $490.00 I did not budget for.

Does anyone know when Premiere CS3 will natively support the 50mbs codec for the PDW700?
        • 1. Re: XDCAM 422 - Sony PDW700 50mbs Camera Support... When?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          We users don't really get to know what Adobe's future plans are.
          • 2. Re: XDCAM 422 - Sony PDW700 50mbs Camera Support... When?
            RDA972 Level 3
            With such a camera I wouldn't mind going the extra mile.
            I would even go so far as buying a Matrox Axio LE which now supports the PDW 700.
            • 3. Re: XDCAM 422 - Sony PDW700 50mbs Camera Support... When?
              Level 1
              Go with Prospect HD and for get that God is in every man. There is divinity in only one man... Prospect HD... all you need to do is buy Prospect HD and you will rise I promise... now either you are for prospect or gainst it. There is no other way. Either you are for or against Main Concepts.

Your answer you be: "If that is the choice...then I am...." You fill in the rest.
              • 4. Re: XDCAM 422 - Sony PDW700 50mbs Camera Support... When?
                Level 1
                Better still.

I am switching to Vegas 8.0c
                They now support the camera.

Sorry adobe.. you just were not quick enough.
                auscam
                • 5. Re: XDCAM 422 - Sony PDW700 50mbs Camera Support... When?
                  Level 1
                  Unbelievable.

I just saw the release notes for Premiere CS4 and the Sony PDW700 50mbit XDCAM camera is the ONLY camera that is NOT supported.

It does every other camera and format out there, but not the one I just paid for.

I've been playing with vegas, but do not like the workflow.
                  Final Cut pro and Avid supports the camera naively, but not CS3 or CS4.

ADOBE please get your act together and support the only missing device!
                  • 6. Re: XDCAM 422 - Sony PDW700 50mbs Camera Support... When?
                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                    So use the camera with a 35/25 Mbps bit rate instead.
                    • 7. Re: XDCAM 422 - Sony PDW700 50mbs Camera Support... When?
                      Level 1
                      Hi Jeff.

Firstly the camera can only shoot at 50mbits for the next 2 to 3 months until a firmware release is issued.

Also why would you want to lower the quality of the source when your hardware supports a 50mbit codec.

If I wanted 25/35mbits, I would have bought an F355

My point is; that Adobe at the recent NAB conference clearly told me that all XDCAM cameras were now fully supported including the PDW700 that is being released by Sony.

This fact was indeed incorrect. I understand people can make errors, but at the NAB conference there should not be any errors.

I am very surprised this has not been addressed in the latest release of CS4, it is almost like they chose to leave the camera out of the specs.

I am sitting in a trial version of Vegas 8.0C transcoding all my content from the 50mbit version, back to SD just so I can edit in my preferred application..

This is not a way to go through life.

I have downloaded the Mainconcept plug-in, but I'm very disappointed in the way it handles transcoding from HD to SD. The transcoding from NTSC to PAL, and vice versa is terrible. Why would I want to spend $500 USD on software that does not function well.

I would simply buy a matrox RT card that handles the codec, but most of my work is done on a laptop in the field which can not accommodate the card.

Premiere CS3 and/or CS4 MUST support Sonys latest XDCAM Camera!
                      It is being dubbed as the next Digital Betacam..
                      If they can support the new RED One, and 2K, 4K, why not the latest HD standard in broadcast acquisition.??
                      • 8. Re: XDCAM 422 - Sony PDW700 50mbs Camera Support... When?
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        Maybe support is forthcoming. Didn't I read where features will be added down the line?

(Though I do have to say it is very nice that AVC-I was included. :):):))
                        • 9. Re: XDCAM 422 - Sony PDW700 50mbs Camera Support... When?
                          Level 1
                          Err, that's not right. I saw that in one of the CS4 documents - P2 AVC Intra is NOT natively supported in CS4. AVCHD is what's been added in CS4...
                          • 10. Re: XDCAM 422 - Sony PDW700 50mbs Camera Support... When?
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            "Enjoy support for native editing of content from Panasonic P2 cameras in DVCPRO, DVCPRO HD, and AVC-Intra formats..."

Copied and pasted from the following page, Will. It is indeed disappointing if AVC-I isn't supported, but if it's not, perhaps a chat with Adobe's web designer is in order?

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/supportedformats.html

As you can see, AVCHD is mentioned as well.

(And just out of curiosity, why add support for the consumer format in the professional editor before the professional format?)
                            • 11. Re: XDCAM 422 - Sony PDW700 50mbs Camera Support... When?
                              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                              >Firstly the camera can only shoot at 50mbits for the next 2 to 3 months until a firmware release is issued.

I just know what I read on the Sony site, and they specified a lower bit rate option for that camera.
                              >Also why would you want to lower the quality of the source when your hardware supports a 50mbit codec.

Because you are on the bleeding edge of technology, and sometimes you have to make due with what is available in the rest of your production pipeline. Or change your tools.
                              >Adobe at the recent NAB conference clearly told me that all XDCAM cameras were now fully supported including the PDW700 that is being released by Sony.

I would say that if you can shoot with the camera and get Premiere to ingest that footage, then it is supported. That a certain bit rate or a certain codec are not supported does not mean the camera isn't supported at all. Maybe Sony should get their act together and issue the firmware update sooner rather than later. I submit that their advertising of capabilities for this camera that don't currently exist is far worse than a 3rd-party software company not supporting an esoteric feature.
                              >I am very surprised this has not been addressed in the latest release of CS4, it is almost like they chose to leave the camera out of the specs...I am sitting in a trial version of Vegas 8.0C transcoding all my content from the 50mbit version, back to SD just so I can edit in my preferred application...This is not a way to go through life.

SD is far worse quality than 35 Mbps MPEG2. If you'd record in 35 Mbps MPEG2, you wouldn't have to go all the way down to SD. Oh wait - I almost forgot - Sony's camera won't do what they say it will do. ;) :)

Look, I understand your disappointment, but I would advise patience. XDCAM EX support wasn't included the release version of CS3, yet it arrived before the release of CS4. Don't borrow trouble. Keep in mind that your camera is brand-new, as are its capabilities. It will take the industry a while to catch up, especially if Sony is as snotty with its licensing for camera codecs as it has been for Blu-ray.
                              • 12. Re: XDCAM 422 - Sony PDW700 50mbs Camera Support... When?
                                Just got off the phone with Adobe Tech support and there is no way to natively import footage from my PDW-700. Very frustrating because if you talk to sales, they'll tell you it supports XDCAM HD, if you look at the presets it says it will support XDCAM HD. Tech support says they may support it in next upgrade but for now I am screwed. Basically I have a $3000 doorstop that is going obsolete by the minute, as I built a Quadcore system to exclusively support my PDW-700. Very frustrating. Yet another reason to stick with Final Cut. Dragged some footage into Final Cut,edited it, exported it and watched the spot run last week on all 4 networks. Looked beautiful. Shame on you Adobe, you let your marketing guys promise what your software developers can't produce. Thanks!
                                • 13. Re: XDCAM 422 - Sony PDW700 50mbs Camera Support... When?
                                  Level 1
                                  Fully Agree.

It's much worse when you are told first hand at the worlds largest broadcast conference "The NAB" that the new PDW700 will be supported with the "all new" CS4, when in fact it is NOT natively supported.

I'm very disappointed by this lack of communication and inaccurate information.

I have a number of colleagues who have PC's and have invested in the PDW700, most have now switched to Mac from their long standing PC platform, simply because their beloved CS3 suite can not support the camera, and nor can the CS4 suite.

UNLESS, you are prepared to pay $6000+ USD for the axio card & software, there is no support whatsoever

NOT ACCEPTABLE ADOBE.
                                  I'll be having words with you at this years NAB.

There better be an official "Compatibility" Announcement released when I walk through the door on the 20th April.
                                  • 14. Re: XDCAM 422 - Sony PDW700 50mbs Camera Support... When?
                                    Level 1
                                    As an aside, I was hoping it was only one setting as I just got my 700 about 2 weeks ago, but no. No support for 1080I/P at all 3 different data rates(50/35/25) or 720p at all 3 different rates. So if you own a 700 do not even think that there is a shadow of a chance. Also, tech support said work around was the Main Concepts codec, downloaded the trial version, and it wouldn't work because it doesn't support CS4. Next stop Vegas 8.0 to figure out if it can pull my bacon out of the fryer. What a waste of time and money.