7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2008 10:35 AM by (Mitch411)

Titler crashes Premiere Pro CS3, autosave don't work

Yeah I know the titler loads all fonts I've installed and that is the reason for this problem. Just wanted to suggest that Adobe finds a better way to handle this than having me to find out which Adobe fonts that crash the program.

And if you find a way to make autosave save when it's supposed to, we wouldn't lose hours and hours of worktime every time titler crashes the program.

Now you can flame me
        • 1. Re: Titler crashes Premiere Pro CS3, autosave don't work
          shooternz Level 6
          >And if you find a way to make autosave save when it's supposed to, we wouldn't lose hours and hours of worktime every time titler crashes the program.

I run Auto save but I also have a Back Up Project File (eg 'BACKUPprojectname.') that I save to regularly.
          • 2. Re: Titler crashes Premiere Pro CS3, autosave don't work
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            Andreas,

You might want to look into a program such as Font Dr. from Extensis. It will survey your system and repair (or remove at your direction) any bad fonts. It will go far beyond the installed fonts, and even work with font files in other directories.

I got mine bundled with Extensis Suitcase (font management software), but think it is available as a standalone. It is quick, automatic (until it cannot repair and asks for your instructions) and very good.

It saves having to halve your fonts, run PP, maybe halve again, or re-install half of the remaining, etc.. Install, run, sit back for five minutes and it's all done - fonts are as good as new, or removed it they cannot be repaired.

I've got 13,000 fonts on my system, though only about 900 are installed most of the time. It found about 75 that needed repair and only choked on about 5. These were deleted.

As for AutoSave, it works fine for me, though I also use Howard's method in addition to AutoSave, plus a Save_As_A_Copy, at the end of each editing session.

Other than that, can't offer you much. We're just lowly users here and have no pull with Adobe. They do not drop in often, so they are likely to never see your post - only the users will.

Good luck,

Hunt
            • 3. Re: Titler crashes Premiere Pro CS3, autosave don't work
              Level 1
              I have been working on a project that involves going back and forth between ULTRA and Premiere. I definitely noticed that auto-save was not ALWAYS working correctly. (I keep 20 versions and AUTO set to 5-min - which means in theory I can go back to any point within the last 3 hours or so.) There have been times when the last auto-save was well over an hour ago, much to my dismay. So I know what you mean about the auto-save. So, don't TRUST in it!

Like Craig, I also keep my own backups. Generally, renaming the project after any MAJOR revision or build. (i.e PROJECT-1, PROJECT-2, PROJECT-3, etc..) Additionally, I export my entire auto-save folder and ALL relevant .prproj files to BOTH a thumb drive and an external hard drive as backups. The .prproj is the ONLY thing that you cannot re-load from your source drives/tapes, etc. Protect it wisely! I recently lost a whole build that ran on a virtual screen in ULTRA. It was almost 2 minutes, included titles, movements, etc... Hours of work. I was able to go back into an older version and cut/paste that build into the new project. Without all these saved backups and an occasional rename of the project file I would have cried...

-BChil
              • 4. Re: Titler crashes Premiere Pro CS3, autosave don't work
                Level 1
                Seriously I just needed to let out a bit of steam there... But thanks for the constructive feedback. I appreciate it a lot!

I take a "save as" every 30 mins or so, but I guess I was just out of luck this time. Oh well it happens everyone once in a while.

Thanks again and luckily computer stuff gets better and safer each day that passes. Gotta try to remember that in these cases :)

edit: anyone know how to edit a threadstarter post? man it's risky to let out steam if that things is saved on the 'net for ever *shakes*

-Andy
                • 5. Re: Titler crashes Premiere Pro CS3, autosave don't work
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  There are things you do while editing which an Auto Save won't interrupt. If you're doing one of those those things when the time comes to auto save, that instance will be forgone so it could easily be hours between auto saves.
                  • 6. Re: Titler crashes Premiere Pro CS3, autosave don't work
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    As Jim points out, there can be reasons that AutoSave does not kick in. It is more than just a clock, which is a good thing. Otherwise, one could leave the progam idle for a long lunch break, only to find all AutoSave files identical. It monitors usage, as well as time. If you are going back and forth between programs, like AE, it will likely not detect THAT activity, so time will pass with no AutoSave. It's usually very good, but it is not perfect.

Also, if you have AutoSave set to 30 mins., you can rest assured that any problem will come at 29:59 and you're hosed! That is not just Adobe, but computers in general - they know when its worst to screw up and will do it every time.

Hunt
                    • 7. Re: Titler crashes Premiere Pro CS3, autosave don't work
                      Level 1
                      The autosave problem is a known issue and AFAIK it's a MAC only problem. I've never seen this on my PC. If you've got autosave set to save 5 projects, it works fine up until the 5th autosave, but when it attempts to write over the first project, it fails. They seem to have this fixed in the last beta version of CS4 I looked at so apparently, Adobe is now wise to the problem.

As for the font problem... Do you REALLY need more than about 100 fonts? When was the last time you used more than about 15 fonts. If you're in denial and insist that you must have the creative license to command 13,000+ fonts, then okay use a product like Extensis to manage them. Another important safety tip for you is that if you're offered 500 fonts for $9.95, then pass on it. You're definitely getting what you pay for there - trouble.