9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2008 7:32 AM by (bchil)

Turning OFF transitions - temporarily?

Level 1
      I am trying to re-size, re-position the STARTING keyframe points for some graphics I am moving/re-sizing on-screen during the scene... I have transitions on them, so they are 0% OPACITY at the start point.

Is there a way to turn off all transitions temporarily (i.e. a SHOW TRANSITIONS button, etc) - so that I can reset these keyframes WHILE seeing the graphic, instead of guessing???

For some reason I think this is possible, but cannot find it in HELP or a quick search of this forum...

-BChil
        • 1. Re: Turning OFF transitions - temporarily?
          Level 1
          Jerry -

I forgot to mention this, but I am running Premiere Pro CS3 Version 3.2.0

-BChil
          • 2. Re: Turning OFF transitions - temporarily?
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            You can only delete that transition and reapply it when the keyframe is set.
            • 3. Re: Turning OFF transitions - temporarily?
              Level 1
              Really?

I guess a workaround would be to delete the transition... Make your change to the clips motion/scale settings. MEMORIZE your change. UNDO back to where it was, BEFORE you deleted the transition. Select the clip and then re-enter the MEMORIZED change... Not exactly the best usage of my time, but at least it would work... At least it didn't delete all my transitions... I guess I should choose my battles.

Seems like maybe a button to show transitions (or not) like AVID has had since 1946 would be a nice addition. I will submit a feature request.

-BChil
              • 4. Re: Turning OFF transitions - temporarily?
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                Are these transitions from third-party plugins like Vitascene or SpiceMaster? I know in SpiceMaster you can save your transition as a preset, so do that and then simply re-apply the transition after you are done fiddling with the underlying clip(s).

If these are stock Pr transitions, then it still may be easier to delete the transition, make your changes to the clip(s), then reapply the transition.
                • 5. Re: Turning OFF transitions - temporarily?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  BChil,

If you are using PP's Transitions, you can set the most common one as "default," and then step through your Sequence with PageUP/Down and hit Ctrl-D to place the default Transition at that spot. If you use a bunch of different ones, it can be a bit tougher.

I always try to make sure that my major editing is done, before I add Transitions. Sometimes it just doesn't work out and one has to Delete, edit, then replace the Transitions - bummer. However, I tend to use Dip to Black and Cross-Dissolve about 95% of the time, so it's not a real biggie.

Hunt
                  • 6. Re: Turning OFF transitions - temporarily?
                    Level 1
                    I should have mentioned that MOST of these are VITASCENE transitions. (only $199 if you buy through digitaljuice.com by the way...) Yes, you can save your transition presets in Vitascene, but at the time I didn't think it important enough - i.e. just minor variances from it's own presets. (lighting angles/effects mainly)

Just though if there was a quick way that I was missing. Thanks for your suggestions. I will continue to do it the old-fashioned way. (DELETE TRANSITION / MAKE KEYFRAME CHANGES AND MEMORIZE / UNDO BACK TO PREVIOUS STATE / RE-DO KEYFRAMES )

Wow, what a productive workflow...

-BChil
                    • 7. Re: Turning OFF transitions - temporarily?
                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                      >Wow, what a productive workflow..

You make it sound like it's too late to save the existing Vitascene transitions as presets now. Is that the case?

With SpiceMaster, I can select an existing SM transition, open the SM user interface, and save the settings right there. Pity if VS can't do that.

-Jeff
                      • 8. Re: Turning OFF transitions - temporarily?
                        shooternz Level 6
                        >Wow, what a productive workflow...

You could alter your workflow and do the transitions last.

BTW: You could maybe have copied the clip ...put it on a new layer ,adjusted the keyframes and copied them back to the original.
                        • 9. Re: Turning OFF transitions - temporarily?
                          Level 1
                          Craig - I ALREADY do the transitions last. What I am trying to do is just make a few tweaks. I thought I had everything where I wanted it on-screen, but the client wants to see changes. Your suggestion - copy/change keyframes/copy MOTION back to old clip works great - I didn't think of it!

Jeff -

I guess I can open VS, save the preset, and exit for each one. Good workaround. But I will definitely put in a feature request for a "HIDE TRANSITIONS" button, as this is still a feature I would love to see.

Thanks.

-BChil