12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2008 6:45 AM by the_wine_snob

Why go with Windows XP Professional?

Level 1
      I just installed my Blackmagic Decklink HD Extreme card. The instructions manual says the card requires XP Professional and SP3. This is not the first time video equipment and/or software require XP professional. I don't get it. I use XP Home edition SP 2 with P5E and a quad core 9300 and I don't see why XP Professional is necessary.

Here are the specs for professional. Can anybody tell me why video work would require any of this?

Windows XP Professional Edition:

_Includes extended support for security between multiple users on the same machine.

_Better support for peer-to-peer networking, plus support for joining a "Windows NT domain."

_The backup utlity is installed by default.

_The Professional edition includes the following components not found in the Home edition:

_Administrative Tools (in the Start Menu and Control Panel)

_Automated System Recovery (ASR)

_Boot Configuration Manager

_DriverQuery

_Group Policy Refresh Utility

_Multi-lingual User Interface (MUI) add-on

_NTFS Encryption Utilitiy

_Offline Files and Folders

_OpenFiles

_Performance Log Manager

_Remote Desktop

_Scheduled Tasks Console

_Security Template Utility

_Taskkill

_Tasklist

_Telnet Administrator

_Provides support for multi-processor systems (2 or 4 CPUs), Dynamic Disks, Fax.
        • 1. Re: Why go with Windows XP Professional?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Well, that last feature seems a compelling reason, especially for someone with a quad.
          • 2. Re: Why go with Windows XP Professional?
            akribie Level 2
            There are at least two possibilities:

1. The software requires XP Pro SP3 and it will not work on lower spec systems.

2. The vendor only tested and certified it for XP Pro SP3, but it will work OK (probably/possibly at purchaser's risk) on untested lower-spec systems.

You have several choices, including:

1. Try and see if it works. Given that you have it installed, this would seem the best choice in your case.

2. Ask the vendor/manufacturer if your spec is OK after all.

3. Ask on forums (probably more-fruitfully for Decklink, not Premiere) if others have it working OK on your spec of system.

4. Choose an alternative that IS rated for your system.

This begs the question, of course, as to why you bought something for which the spec requires something you do not have and only found out afterwards. Caveat emptor.
            • 3. Re: Why go with Windows XP Professional?
              TradeWind Level 3
              > Well, that last feature seems a compelling reason, especially for someone with a quad.

The limitation in XP Pro is actually on multiple processors, not multiple cores, so he's good there.

When he's running dual quad cores, however, he needs the XP Pro.

Administrative Tools, Task Kill, Task List and Boot Configuration Manager are handy though, especially when you need to tweak and ultra-tweak your XP installation.
              • 4. Re: Why go with Windows XP Professional?
                Curt Wrigley Level 4
                The question I would ask is, why would you want to run Home edition?
                • 5. Re: Why go with Windows XP Professional?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  >The limitation in XP Pro is actually on multiple processors, not multiple cores

My understanding is that from a software standpoint, they look the same.
                  • 6. Re: Why go with Windows XP Professional?
                    Level 1
                    This is the first time hearing of anything requiring SP3.

Why go with windows? because everything else is inferior for multimedia production and business functions, thats why M$ has 90% market share.
                    • 7. Re: Why go with Windows XP Professional?
                      shooternz Level 6
                      >and I don't see why XP Professional is necessary.

Because you are a professional arent you?

:-)
                      • 8. Re: Why go with Windows XP Professional?
                        SFL46 Level 3
                        There are system management features/tools in XP Pro that don't appear in XP home. It could very well be that the vendor is relying on those features.

Did Microsoft take down the XP comparision web page???????
                        • 9. Re: Why go with Windows XP Professional?
                          Level 1
                          My question has been answered. The fact is, as far as editing goes there is no difference between XP and Professional. My guess is that they test the cards with professional but that it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. Same with SP3. They probably don't want to assume anything and just play it safe.

cwig asks: why use home edition. ANSWER: Because I never figured out the reason to use professional and Home edition is cheaper.

What is amazing is that Professional is always recommended and vendors will even tell you pro works better or can handle more memory. None of this is documented by Microsoft. The fact is Professional only makes sense if you're using (1) Multi processor motherboards (2) complex company networks. Beyond that they're one and the same. Everything else is just hype. Word to the mother.
                          • 10. Re: Why go with Windows XP Professional?
                            Harm Millaard Level 7
                            > (2) complex company networks.

Dead wrong!. For complex networks, use VMWare or at least Linux. For simple and very basic networks/ sharing/ domains/ VPN/ Dameware support etc. you need XP Pro.
                            • 11. Re: Why go with Windows XP Professional?
                              Level 1
                              I think both handle a maximum of 3GB, whereby it is not clear as to wether anything above 2GB actually really does increase performance. I doubt it.
                              • 12. Re: Why go with Windows XP Professional?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                Jujufactory,

Based on your findings, I'd guess that the reason for the statment from Adobe on Pro, is that they have to test on a lot of systems (alpha and beta) and wish to limit their testing someplace - that ends up being the Pro version of the OS. Now with Vista and its myriad number of flavors, I wonder how version specific they'll be.

If you are running on Home fine, that is good news. I've seen many programs that seemed to do OK on Home and Pro, but some would choke on MCE. Go figure. Must have been a bunch of crap in MCE that did not play well, though it was a version pretty much between Home and Pro in the XP lineup.

Let us know how it goes, and good luck,

Hunt

PS It's similar to upgrading Production Studio. One has to ask "what does this upgrade do for me?" In MY case with CS3, the answer was "not much." That's why I'm waiting for CS4, before I make the commitment to the $'s. I WILL wait for all of the early adopters to sort out the kinks with both CS4 and Vista-64, before I make the conversion. I should also be ready for a new box by then too.