14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2007 6:20 AM by John T Smith

Black Stills No Images

Level 1
      When I bring multiple stills onto the timeline, a large percentage of them show up as black. These are larger than 720x480 jpg images from my camera (5 megapixel). I've researched, but can't find if there is a solution for this. Sometimes I can get the images to appear by closing the project and reopening it, but as the project has gotten larger, it's gotten worse. Any suggestions?
        • 1. Re: Black Stills No Images
          Level 1
          Are they straight from the camera or did you process them in an application before importing them?
          • 2. Re: Black Stills No Images
            Level 1
            They are straight from the camera.
            • 3. Re: Black Stills No Images
              Level 1
              I saw some comments about this black stills problem with earlier versions of Pr and I tried increasing swap file space (seemed to help when project was reloaded, but now seems to have had no effect) and moving the entire project to another drive ( no help at all). I have about 300 slides in the project so far. Is this more than Pr can handle? I'm really surprised no one else is seeing this. I do have some low res video mixed in that was processed through another app, but it works fine.
              • 4. Re: Black Stills No Images
                Level 1
                > I have about 300 slides in the project so far. Is this more than Pr can handle? I'm really surprised no one else is seeing this.

I have never experience a problem like that. I had a project where I imported 3.6GB of 2048 x 3072 PSD files with multiple layers and never had a problem with seeing black.

Do they open up fine anywhere else like Bridge?
                • 5. Re: Black Stills No Images
                  Level 1
                  They open fine in Photoshop and image viewer programs when opened directly from Explorer. I haven't tried to open via Bridge (yet) while in Premiere. I haven't seen any that always are black - it's like a timing issue. Perhaps 10% are not open when I load, but it's different files each time. Usually a string will not open, but sometimes one or two in the string may decide to open while I'm working. I can't find any way to force an image to be reopened. I've noticed that I get errors when importing .psd files, but the .jpgs from the camera worked fine until I had several hundred. BTW, the image is entirely black, but the preview in the timeline is black with a yellow horizontal line at 2/3 up.

I tried a reinstall, but that was no help. Next I suppose I'll try another computer.
                  • 6. Re: Black Stills No Images
                    Level 1
                    Resize them in PS to something more appropriate for video use and the issue will likely go away. Premiere doesn't seem to like large images.
                    • 7. Re: Black Stills No Images
                      Level 1
                      I'll try the resizing, but I've been doing some pans and zooms, so I need larger than basic frame size for many of them.
                      • 8. Re: Black Stills No Images
                        Level 1
                        ffdshow icons - memory limits-

I tried resizing the stills. This seems to work, but I suspect the error is related to the video clips in my timeline. I'd rather not go through all the stills and convert every one of them.

The video is mpg video at 320x240 captured by a still camera. To import it I had to transcode it to avi format, using ffdshow codec via a video convert program called Super C. (I don't know why I chose ffdshow, it was the first option - I think the 4CC code is mpg2)

When I load the project, I see multiple (20-40+) ffdshow icons in my tray. I suspect it is loading one instance of ffdshow for each video clip, and killing memory causing the black still symptoms in this thread. I'm now getting memory error warnings from Premiere.

I've killed the ffdshow codec from my system and that solves the stills problem, but of course I can't play/render the video clips. I suspect I will have to reconvert all my clips to some other codec, but wondered if anyone has any suggestions for what to convert them to. Perhaps there is a solution to the ffdshow/memory problem some one knows about?

Thanks for any suggestions.
                        • 9. Re: Black Stills No Images
                          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Frequently answered question

Cheers
                          Eddie

Forum FAQ
                          Premiere Pro Wiki
                          - Over 250 frequently answered questions
                          - Over 100 free tutorials
                          - Maintained by editors like you
                          • 10. Re: Black Stills No Images
                            Eddie Lotter Level 4

Also: Frequently answered question

Cheers
                            Eddie

Forum FAQ
                            Premiere Pro Wiki
                            - Over 250 frequently answered questions
                            - Over 100 free tutorials
                            - Maintained by editors like you
                            • 11. Re: Black Stills No Images
                              Harm Millaard Level 7
                              You are encountering one of the joys of using the wrong tool set with your material. Like going from Britain to the US by ship. As long as it is not the Titanic, your chances of getting across the pond are reasonable, but take a long time. If you happen to board on the Titanic, your chances are far less. Just luck.

Your basic problem is you try to use a tool that is not suited to edit un-editable material with this tool. Use Elements or similar.
                              • 12. Re: Black Stills No Images
                                Level 1
                                This sounds similar to a bug that was in Prem Pro earlier. I would have a group of stills on the timeline and use different effects on each. I used a lot of pan and zoom as most do. Everything would look great when I closed the project. When I reopened the project to work on it I would fine that many of the stills had dissapeared and the frame would be either black or green. I would redo, everything fine, come back and they were gone again. I discovered two ways to get them back. One was to put a black video in the track over the still and lower the opacity to zero. The still would come back and stay back with the affects still on it. The other way was simply to open the "effects control" on the still and lower the opacity just a degree. The picture will pop back and remain with it's motion effects still there. Many people reported this as a bug, but I'm not sure it was ever addressed. If your problem is different, sorry, good luck.
                                • 13. Re: Black Stills No Images
                                  Level 1
                                  I was able to fix the same problem of black stills. to fix start by right clicking on still, click edit ,click anywhere on the picture , then exit by clicking on the x . then click save changes. my picture were then back again.
                                  • 14. Re: Black Stills No Images
                                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                    Some digital cameras put extra information in the file header, which confuses Premiere (no, I don't know which cameras)

Opening in Photoshop and resaving removes that extra information