4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2008 11:28 PM by Dan Isaacs

Frame Hold Corrupts Image

Hi,

Whenever I use "Frame Hold" on a clip in CS3, the frame image gets corrupted. Turn frame hold off, and the image goes back to normal. Really weird. This used to work fine for me in PP 1.5. Makes "Frame Hold" essentially useless. Tried in different projects and on different computers and consistently get the same thing.

Anybody else have this problem? Is this a known bug?

Cheers,
      Veronica
        • 1. Re: Frame Hold Corrupts Image
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
          Describe what the corruption looks like, please. Or you could post a link to a screenshot of what you are seeing.
          • 2. Re: Frame Hold Corrupts Image
            Dan Isaacs Level 2
            > Makes "Frame Hold" essentially useless

Yep. I know. I filed a bug report on this back when CS3 came out. The image is being deinterlaced without your permission, right? :)
            • 3. Re: Frame Hold Corrupts Image
              Level 1
              Indeed, it does look like a deinterlacer (that doesn't really work) is being applied to the held frame. Certain diagonal edges become jagged. I was wondering if that was it, even though the project is progressive and all the footage is progressive.

Thanks for the quick response Dan! Very helpful.

Cheers,
              Veronica
              • 4. Re: Frame Hold Corrupts Image
                Dan Isaacs Level 2
                > even though the project is progressive and all the footage is progressive

But this is really only the tip of the iceberg.

The project settings apparently do not matter. The problem is that Premiere makes some very silly assumptions (with no way to override them) about which sources are interlaced and which are progressive.

Along with frame holds, there are also issues with (certain?) effects and choosing TFF/BFF/progressive in the export dialog options. Here are some examples:

In a 720x480 interlaced project, applying effects to a video clip and then choosing a progressive output format will deinterlace your footage -- whether "deinterlace footage" is checked or not, and regardless of whether your footage was progressive to begin with.

In a 720x480 progressive project, applying effects to a video clip will cause instant deinterlacing: with no regard to output settings or whether the clip is progressive.

More things I've posted about this here ... #1 ... #2 ... # 3 ...and on the Matrox forums.