1 2 Previous Next 47 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2008 6:26 AM by (Jon_Fabris)

Crashing every 5 minutes

Level 1
      I am editing a feature length HD film in PP CS3 and the software crashes literally every 5 minutes. (..has encountered a serious error and must close...) The crashing mainly seems to occur when I am dragging clips along the timeline.
      I read in the faq that turning off hyperthreading helps but I have a AMD Athlon 64 dual cpu and I don't believe it supports hyperthreading in the first place.
      It also said to try to set the affinity of PP to use only one cpu. That seemed to help with crashing but performance is too slow; playback is real jerky.

Any suggestions??
        • 1. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
          Level 1
          Ok provide more deatils, systems specs, and the nature of the media you are trying to edit.
          • 2. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
            Level 1
            Make sure all your hardware drivers are up to date.
            • 3. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
              Eddie Lotter Level 4

Some troubleshooting tips.

Cheers
              Eddie

Forum FAQ
              Premiere Pro Wiki
              - Over 250 frequently answered questions
              - Over 100 free tutorials
              - Maintained by editors like you
              • 4. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                Level 1
                AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core 4200 2.21 ghz
                4 gb ram
                7200 rpm raid 0 drive
                Windows XP Pro
                All hardware drivers are up to date
                • 5. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                  Yet another unanswerable question without relevant details.
                  Look here and supply details as outlined.
                  • 6. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                    Level 1
                    The exact version of the Adobe application you are running.<br />CS3 <br /> Your Operating System details. <br />Windows XP Pro<br /> Amount of installed RAM. <br />4 gb<br /> Amount of free disk space. <br />370 gb<br /> Make/Model of Video Card. <br />NVidea GEForce 7900 GT<br /> Exact make/model of other video hardware involved in the problem <br />Sony FX1<br /> The EXACT text of any Error Messages you saw. <br />"Premiere Pro has encountered an error. <br /> Precise symptoms of your problem (When I <do this>, <this> happens) <br />Program crashes, usually when dragging clips along the timeline<br /><br />Are you going to supply and answers now Harm or do you like to just go around and post arrogant messages with questions in them.
                    • 7. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                      Don Hoye Level 1
                      his answer to you was nessersary for us to help you
                      your problem looks like you have 1 hard drive
                      boy for someone so smart you sure are ignorant
                      • 8. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                        Don Hoye Level 1
                        sorry folk...i just hate it when somebdy attacks someone trying to help..i appoligize for stateing to obvious
                        • 9. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                          Harm Millaard Level 7
                          Jon,

The requested info is necessary to help you troubleshoot the problem. Imagine you get into your car in the morning to drive to the office and it does not start. You call your car dealer and say that your car does not start. He will want to know a number of things to help you, like:

1. What happened when you turned the ignition?
                          2. Is the battery charged?
                          3. Do you have sufficient gas in the tank?
                          4. Is the gear in Park when you try to start?
                          5. Do you hear the start motor crank?
                          6. etc.

If you don't supply these basic data, how do you expect to get sensible help? Or do you expect your car dealer to just say, well, bring the car over and we will look at the problem, despite the fact that it does not start?

Back to your problem, like Don said with only 1 disk you are in serious trouble for HDV. For DV and HDV the minimum requirements are a dedicated drive, which you don't have.
                          • 10. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                            Level 1
                            Nope I got one drive for the app and a dedicated raid 0 drive for the data. My machine is up to the minimum spec.
                            • 11. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                              Harm Millaard Level 7
                              What project settings are you using and what plug-ins are installed? Still further questions that were not included previously. More may come to mind depending on your answers. Just be ready for more information requests.
                              • 12. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                                Level 1
                                Project is HDV 1080i generic settings.
                                No plugins installed except what comes with CS3.
                                • 13. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                                  Level 1
                                  More info on the bug:

"Sorry, a serious error has occured that requires Adobe Premiere Pro to shut down. We will attempt to save your current project."
                                  (it doesnt save)

It said a log was created here but the file doesnt seem to exist
                                  C:\DOCUME~1\VALUED~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\54ff_appcompat.txt
                                  • 14. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                    Try changing:

1. Your playback settings to "Compatible" from whatever they are now (Standard or GPU).

2. Your audio hardware preference to "Premiere Pro Windows Sound". If it's already there, try explicitly selecting your your audio card.
                                    • 15. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                                      Level 1
                                      Crashing still happens.
                                      I bought a new sound card, doesnt help.

Did these two things:
                                      1. Your playback settings to "Compatible" from whatever they are now (Standard or GPU).

2. Your audio hardware preference to "Premiere Pro Windows Sound". If it's already there, try explicitly selecting your your audio card.

Didnt help.

Is there a patch out for PP v3 yet?
                                      • 16. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                        >Is there a patch

Start here and look http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/
                                        • 17. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                                          Level 1
                                          Hello Jon - I recently had the exact same problem as you with a HDV project; but only this one project. Many other HDV projects worked just fine.

So in an endeavor to get to the bottom of it I tried all types of things including opening a fresh project and bringing in the 'bad' project to no avail.

As the crashing was very regular (and I had auto save down to every minute!) I decided to sit and just look at the computer screen with coffee in hand and wait. Sure enough without doing anything it just crashed as per your description. I opened other known good projects etc without a problem but this one and all its re-incarnations would consistently crash; I even loaded it up on a totally different system; the only common factor - the media. So as a test I deleted the media from the project and imported any media that I knew worked in other projects and not a crash. So I re-introduced the 'suspect' media and sure enough it consistently crashed.

I am pretty sure it had something to do with the unconfirmed 'indexing' problem that CS3 has introduced. Luckily for me my media was one HDV tape so I worked around the problems but if you are doing a feature you are going to go thru hell trying to narrow it down.

good luck

Baz
                                          • 18. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                                            Level 1
                                            Thanks Baz!

That actually makes sense. I get the problem more often when working with certain captured files. I'm going to try to recapture my footage with HDVSplit. Of course I will lose a couple hundred hours of work, but who cares I'm just one insignificant customer.
                                            • 19. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                                              Level 1
                                              Corrupt cache files might also be suspect. Close your project. Delete your media cache, conformed audio and temporary folders. Reopen your project, allow it to create new temp and conformed files.

Bottlenecks will cause issues:

Set your media cache files to a seperate drive other than your project drive. That way the drive head on the disk won't have to pull double duty.

Make sure your array, or the array's controller has it's own dedicated resources, and not conflicting with your audio card and/or video cards.

Defrag and run check disk on your array often. I don't trust raid 0 arrays (athough I use them). Theres always a chance a faulty drive, or bad block on one of the drives is the culprit. Especially if the disks are under constant use and more than two years old.
                                              • 20. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                                                Level 1
                                                had the same problem but installing the latest update(v3.0.1) seemed to help
                                                • 21. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                                                  fredou_79 Level 1
                                                  Jon,

I've bee nhaving the same problem as you forever and been working to fix it without success forever too.

Do you ever get a "low system memory proceed with caustion" message before your crashes ?

I've enabled the /3GB and the /PAE switches in the boot.ini an this help a lot, but don't fix the problem, undow certain person have claimed that this fixed their trouble completly.

The long form projects in Premmiere seem to be more problematic since it seem as it cannot hold the shear size of the media and that's what makes it crashes.

Check these sites for tweak for you Windows:
                                                  http://www.videoguys.com/TweaksWINXPVE.html
                                                  http://www.videoguys.com/WinXP2.html

For myself I'm using AspectHD, and the crash occurs mostly when I try to render. The audio preview file rendering seems to trigger this crash, at least in CINEFORM.

The only alternative I've found is to offline in another format with very light file size to edit in offline with these (that's what I'm testing right now).
                                                  • 22. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                                                    Level 1
                                                    An update on my crashing every 5 minutes problem.

For a while I thought the problem was caused by using PP to capture. I recaptured all 13 hours of my footage in HDV Split and it is still happening. This is on a brand new set of raid drives by the way.

To recap, all of my hardware is up to spec, I updated all my drivers to the latest, I tried putting in a new sound card, I tried defragging the drive, I tried fiddling with the PP sound settings, I tried cleaning out the cache and temp files.

Compounding the problem is that it takes a good 20 minutes for PP to load my project, so everytime this happens I lose 20 minutes plus the time since I last saved the project.

Does anyone know of a Windows editor that can handle a feature length HDV film?

I really dont want to shell out 5k to buy a Mac and Final Cut.
                                                    • 23. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                                                      Level 1
                                                      I doubt it will help but these are the log errors I get.

Event Type: Error
                                                      Event Source: Application Error
                                                      Event Category: None
                                                      Event ID: 1000
                                                      Date: 11/5/2007
                                                      Time: 5:22:51 PM
                                                      User: N/A
                                                      Computer: LIQUIDCOOL
                                                      Description:
                                                      Faulting application adobe premiere pro.exe, version 3.1.0.0, faulting module backendlib.dll, version 3.1.0.0, fault address 0x002cb7e2.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
                                                      Data:
                                                      0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
                                                      0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
                                                      0010: 75 72 65 20 20 61 64 6f ure ado
                                                      0018: 62 65 20 70 72 65 6d 69 be premi
                                                      0020: 65 72 65 20 70 72 6f 2e ere pro.
                                                      0028: 65 78 65 20 33 2e 31 2e exe 3.1.
                                                      0030: 30 2e 30 20 69 6e 20 62 0.0 in b
                                                      0038: 61 63 6b 65 6e 64 6c 69 ackendli
                                                      0040: 62 2e 64 6c 6c 20 33 2e b.dll 3.
                                                      0048: 31 2e 30 2e 30 20 61 74 1.0.0 at
                                                      0050: 20 6f 66 66 73 65 74 20 offset
                                                      0058: 30 30 32 63 62 37 65 32 002cb7e2
                                                      0060: 0d 0a ..

Event Type: Error
                                                      Event Source: Application Error
                                                      Event ID: 1000
                                                      Time: 8:16:29 PM
                                                      Description:
                                                      Faulting application adobe premiere pro.exe, version 3.1.0.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000003.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
                                                      Data:
                                                      0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
                                                      0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
                                                      0010: 75 72 65 20 20 61 64 6f ure ado
                                                      0018: 62 65 20 70 72 65 6d 69 be premi
                                                      0020: 65 72 65 20 70 72 6f 2e ere pro.
                                                      0028: 65 78 65 20 33 2e 31 2e exe 3.1.
                                                      0030: 30 2e 30 20 69 6e 20 75 0.0 in u
                                                      0038: 6e 6b 6e 6f 77 6e 20 30 nknown 0
                                                      0040: 2e 30 2e 30 2e 30 20 61 .0.0.0 a
                                                      0048: 74 20 6f 66 66 73 65 74 t offset
                                                      0050: 20 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 0000000
                                                      0058: 33 0d 0a 3..

Event Type: Information
                                                      Event Source: Service Control Manager
                                                      Event ID: 7036
                                                      Time: 8:16:54 PM
                                                      Description:
                                                      The FLEXnet Licensing Service service entered the stopped state.

• 24. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                                                        Level 1
                                                        Have you considered Cineform? Just a thought...

I wish I had a better answer for you. I've done some HDV work with CS3 and so far it's been great. But I've not done anything close to feature length...

I'm assuming you've contacted Adobe, and you've updated to version 3.1 - the patch was just released...

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3812

It mentions bug fixes for HDV editing...could help
                                                        • 25. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                                                          Jeron Coolman Level 1
                                                          FWIW - 3.1 fixed my "crashing every 5 minutes" problem with HDV projects

>Does anyone know of a Windows editor that can handle a feature length HDV film?

I'm not sure what "feature length HDV film" means, other than a multi-cam 90 min - 2 hour sequence?

My typical HDV project is the output from five 1 hour multi-cam sequences from 12 to 18 hours of footage in one PPro project. Of course, there are many other sub-sequences and many sub-clips as well.

I'm sure you have all of the latest drivers installed, especially video...
                                                          • 26. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                                                            Level 1
                                                            For anyones information,
                                                            this problem is still happening for me.
                                                            I have tried every suggestion mentioned in this thread to no avail.

Lately the crashing happens simply when I open up (double click) on a sequence, or just scrubbing through a sequence.
                                                            • 27. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                                                              Level 1
                                                              I haven't had a chance to read through this thread entirely, but I've been consulting with a client on a similar project. Unfortunately, after weeks of trying various things, the solution doesn't seem to be readily apparent. Here are a few things that we tried that had a positive impact:

a) Delete all "temp" or rendered files
                                                              b) Ensure that the scratch disk is separate than your media disk
                                                              c) Ensure that your media drive has enough empty space available (at least 20%)

- Aanarav
                                                              • 28. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                                                                Level 1
                                                                In the end you never know why Premiere is unstable. I think there is a core memory handling problem somewhere...

I have Cineform for my HD stuff and Premiere still crashes. I got 4 GB RAM and Premiere crashes, I bought a Quad Core CPU and still crashes. I got 1TB of hard drive space and still crashes.

I installed Premiere with nothing else on my system and it crashes. I have been using it for nearly 5 years on different systems and approved work stations, and it has always crashed on me. If you told me Premiere is stable I'd never believe you, give your system to me and I'll come edit and within 20minutes I can make it crash.

Sorry, I just spent half a day with a client and Premiere crashed 4 times editing a DV project. Embarrasing...

Just make sure you have the latest patch, free hard drive space and backup the project as often as possible. Try cleaning the project and removing any unused media from the project bins.
                                                                • 29. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                                                                  Level 1
                                                                  I edit with PPro almost everyday, mostly DV projects but a few HDV (without Cineform), and I'm not going to say that PPro doesn't crash - every once and awhile it does, but for 98% of the time, it's solid. It doesn't crash anymore then a few of the FCP systems I've edited on.

Sorry to hear your having a rougher time, Howard.
                                                                  • 30. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                                                                    Level 1
                                                                    Yeah. Perhaps its hardware. I don't know?

The funniest thing is PPRO was rock solid with DVCPRO HD, I barely remember it crashing.

But I will stand by Premiere. :-) I love it and it gets the work done, would not trade it for anything.
                                                                    • 31. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                                                                      Level 1
                                                                      You haven't added any older plugins have you? The only reason I say this is that when I installed CS3 and loaded all of my plugins, After Effects kept crashing. After uninstalling, and loading the plugins one at a time, I found that one of the older plugins was causing the problem.
                                                                      • 32. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                                                                        Level 1
                                                                        > You haven't added any older plugins have you?

No.
                                                                        • 33. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                                                                          Level 1
                                                                          Is there any way to tell? Premiere doesnt have any kind of plugin manager does it?
                                                                          • 34. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                                                                            Level 1
                                                                            If it´s any confort... You´re not alone!

I´m going through the same thing, with a heavy HD project in CS3 on a 3gb Intel Core 2 Duo with a 4gb RAM.

I´ve read through the thread and most of the things mentioned in this thread I´ve tried (except enabling the /3GB and the /PAE switches in the boot.in) without any luck. I do like the idea of an older plugin being the cause. Though I doubt it.
                                                                            • 35. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                                                                              Level 1
                                                                              Jon Fabris, i've had the same problem
                                                                              i had no clue what to do, so i just updated my CS3 version with this patch from adobe
                                                                              http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3887

and installed SP3 for my Windows XP SP2 OS
                                                                              http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f 3d4&displaylang=en

and everything is solved!!!
                                                                              since i don't know which of them solved it. try the patch first, if it didn't work, update your OS too.
                                                                              • 36. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                                                                                Level 1
                                                                                You might try looking at your video card. I had the same problem until I put in a NVIDIA Quadro FX 1500 and it all went away. After Effects stopped crashing as well.

It was good advice from the video guys:
                                                                                http://www.videoguys.com/DIY-GPU.html
                                                                                • 37. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                                                                                  Fighting Sticks Level 2
                                                                                  Well Jon,
                                                                                  You've got a SC3 PPro problem, you run to the brothers in the forum and 36 messages later you still have the same problems. Way to go boys! Personally I think this forum is populated by complete choeckads with small dkcis who feel the need for self gratification extends to supplying 'I'm so good attitudes' to men like yourself who are hurting with a product that doesn't deliver while still not supplying you with any workable answer. Take a looks at this thread - Jarrod Wirth, "Fix CS3 & never again error, crash, freeze, shutdown or low memory." #, 14 May 2008 4:27 pm

It may help and if it don't try breaking the 'feature' down into numerous very small projects, say scene by scene and then add these all together like chapters at final output. Trust me there is no way CS3 can handle the complexities of building a HD feature as easily as the sales propoganda makes out. Anyone who says otherwise is full of it, has a vested interest or is trying to sell you something. Don't suffer the patches they'll just lead to more trauma, even Adobe tech support has advised me against installing them. Yes when it comes to HD I'll confirm you've burnt your money on CS3 and the only thing that it going to get your project finished is your own dogged determination to complete a project on a app that really don't do what you thought it could when you first parted with your cash. Flip 'em the bird as a part of the learning experience, I understand your pain but don't give up.
                                                                                  • 38. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                                                                                    Level 1
                                                                                    > Personally I think this forum is populated by complete choeckads with small dkcis who feel the need for self gratification extends to supplying 'I'm so good attitudes' to men like yourself who are hurting with a product that doesn't deliver while still not supplying you with any workable answer.

Clearly you are looking for trouble, not with me but this forum by saying that.
                                                                                    • 39. Re: Crashing every 5 minutes
                                                                                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                                                                      Actually, the info in Jarrod's linked post is useful. He just feels the need to editorialize while promoting his ideas.

@Jarrod,

A little less editorializing would be appreciated, and may even work to your advantage, i.e., getting the message in your "Fix CS3" post out to more people where it can do some good. Right now, I think it's getting lost in the surrounding noise of your posts.

I'm surprised TS is telling you not to install the updates. The 3.2 update fixes some memory issues that may be directly related to your issues.

-Jeff
                                                                                      1 2 Previous Next