14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2008 8:09 AM by Eddie Lotter

Cannot install in Vista 32 Bit SP1

Hi
      I've called support in the USA but they could not help.
      I've checked answers to similar topics on this forum but to no avail.

This is what's happening:
      Download and extract is working fine.
      When I click on set up file windows opens for 4 secs then closes.

Things I have tried:
      Rebooted
      Rebooted in safe mode
      Tried it with user account control on and off
      Tried it with AVG firewall turned off
      Ran system restore and re-downloaded again
      Went into msconfig and disabled start up programs.

Any ideas? I want to try this product first before shelling out £££'s.
        • 1. Re: Cannot install in Vista 32 Bit SP1
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          > I've called support in the USA but they could not help.

What makes you think we can?

I don't know which support you called, but Adobe seems the one you need to contact.
          • 2. Re: Cannot install in Vista 32 Bit SP1
            Level 1
            Sorry I do not understand your comment "what makes you think we can?".

I called Adobe support. Which support do you think I would have called? Again I do not follow your question.
            • 3. Re: Cannot install in Vista 32 Bit SP1
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              At the top of the page, right under the Adobe logo, it says:

b USER TO USER FORUMS
              • 4. Re: Cannot install in Vista 32 Bit SP1
                Level 1
                Hi, this is my first time on here and I'd really appreciate you not being quite so blunt.
                You say "what makes you think we can?" I assume you mean it's a user to user forum therefore why should I think other users can help?
                Well for the very reason that other users may have had the same problem or may have some helpful ideas on how to fix it.
                I am a member of user to user forums for other things and they are often able to come up with resolutions.
                If I have unintentionally posted on the wrong forum perhaps you could give me some help and tell me where to post?
                • 5. Re: Cannot install in Vista 32 Bit SP1
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Julian,

Adobe's Tech Support for installation issues is free. In my few uses of this service, it has been fast (even limited hold time), and they have quickly and easily solved every install problem that I've had over 20 years. I'd try them again.

You have already done most of the things that I'd have recommended. I don't have any tricks to try, beyond what you have already attempted.

Fortunately, I (and most of the people here) have not had any install problems. It is something beyond our expertise. What I do know of install issues, I've picked up in the various Adobe forums. Only problem I've ever had was a multi-version upgrade to AI, and my ancient S/N was not in the new version's database. Adobe gave me the keys that I needed in about 2 mins., with 5 mins. hold. Quick and easy.

You are posting into the best forum for CS3. Unfortunately, your problem is not, "where's the Ripple Delete Tool?"

Be patient, as maybe someone here WILL have had your problem. The majority will not. Sorry.

Give Adobe another call, and maybe you'll get a good tech rep this time.

Also, Harm was just stating what I did, but with fewer words (and commas!).
                  i Sorry, inside joke around around here.

Good luck,

Hunt

[EDIT] Did you have either a "trial" version, or a beta version installed before? If so, check out the Premiere-pedia for installing after using the "trial." One needs to uninstall, use the Clean-script,
                  b THEN
                  do the install. Premiere-pedia:
                  http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/Category:FAQ
                  • 6. Re: Cannot install in Vista 32 Bit SP1
                    Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                    > Hi, this is my first time on here and I'd really appreciate you not being quite so blunt.

I enjoyed your to the point observation and later comments explaining whey it is that users post to a user to user forum - even when they know it is not official support. Most insulted users waste too much time arguing and complaining. Harm is well known for his often unnecessary rudeness. He provides help in many technical areas that is of great value, but he is impatient with what he (and some others) see as inappropriate questions or ones that come from not doing enough study or work ahead of time. He grows on you, but only once you've seen him help solve a difficult problem.

> Give Adobe another call, and maybe you'll get a good tech rep this time.

If your particular install problem is a known issue, someone will chime in. But the wikia has most of those, and Hunt's main point is the bottom line: Adobe provides free install support, and that is your best resource. And knowing that other users have learned that install assistance is best pursued through adobe is advice that makes your posting worth it.

You don't say what Adobe said, but I'm not sure it will help much, since it is most likely that you need to pursue their technical support again.
                    • 7. Re: Cannot install in Vista 32 Bit SP1
                      Level 1
                      I have two words for you: XP NOW!
                      • 8. Re: Cannot install in Vista 32 Bit SP1
                        Level 1
                        Thanks for all the above comments everyone.
                        The problem is now *resolved*, here's how.

Although I searched extensively before posting yesterday, further web searching revealed:

A CS3 clean up utility at
                        http://kb.adobe.comselfserviceviewContent.do?externalId=kb401574#CS3CleanScript
                        This removes any traces of previous installations.

For the clean up utility to run you must have Windows Installer Clean up utility installed.
                        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
                        • 9. Re: Cannot install in Vista 32 Bit SP1
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          Julian,

I'm still not clear if you had the "trial" version installed. Even if it was some time ago, it must be uninstalled first. It is at this time, that you'll need to run the CleanScript to remove all residual traces of it. Some people have also found that running a Registry cleaner, like Ccleaner helps, though I believe CleanScript should do the job. Then most installs progress with few problems. Beta versions suffer from the same problem. That is why I'd never run a "trial," or beta on one of my production machines - just too much work if you want to purchase. Many people do not have the luxury of having many computers sitting around, that can run these, so there is a necessary amount of housekeeping to be done.

Good luck, and be sure to read over the Premiere-pedia on installation,

Hunt
                          • 10. Re: Cannot install in Vista 32 Bit SP1
                            Level 1
                            Hi Bill
                            I had not knowingly installed the trial version!
                            Just to reiterate I have resolved the problem using CleanScript.
                            Sorry to sound obtuse, what is Premiere-pedia?
                            • 11. Re: Cannot install in Vista 32 Bit SP1
                              Level 1
                              >He grows on you.

How long does that usually take?
                              • 12. Re: Cannot install in Vista 32 Bit SP1
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                Depends on how much you water him. Plenty of sunlight, too.
                                • 13. Re: Cannot install in Vista 32 Bit SP1
                                  Phil Griffith Level 2
                                  >He grows on you.

So do warts.
                                  • 14. Re: Cannot install in Vista 32 Bit SP1
                                    Eddie Lotter Level 4
                                    >what is Premiere-pedia?

You have probably heard of Wikipedia, an online encyclopedia that anyone can edit, well the PremiereProPedia is the same thing but specifically about Premiere Pro.

Cheers
                                    Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                                    - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                                    - Over 250 free tutorials
                                    - Maintained by editors like you
                                    Forum FAQ