14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2008 4:36 AM by (jujufactory)

Open letter to Steve Gotz.

Level 1
      Dear Steve,

A few yers ago you got me to purchase Aspect for HDV editing. It was a wise decision. Today I am so used to Aspect that I never used anything else. Meanwhile CS3 has evolved and new formats have appeared. The EX1, P2, and other footage can be edited natively by using drag and drop file transfers. Is Cineform codec for anything but high end HD CAM editing obsolete? Please share your knowledge. I have already started a few threads on this subject but I don't think people knew what they were talking about. Cineform users are welcome to give their opinions.

Warm Regards,

Moi
        • 1. Re: Open letter to Steve Gotz.
          Level 1
          Where's Steven Gotz?
          • 2. Re: Open letter to Steve Gotz.
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            I think he mentioned being on holiday in the Lounge. I'd give him a bit longer. Seems he was not taking his laptop with him, or would have limited Internet access.

Hunt
            • 3. Re: Open letter to Steve Gotz.
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5
              I have been tied up at work for the last few days. The entire team of about 500 people came to Orlando for meetings and I have been quite busy with training sessions and social evets.

While Cineform may not be a requirement for some people now that PCs have become more powerful, I still believe that the codec serves it's purpose with HDV. I believe that the ability to export to the Cineform codec allows me to treat HDV as easily as I did DV when it comes to passing files back and forth between After EFfects and Premiere Pro. And it makes a great backup codec.

I don't really know the answer to the question when it comes to P2 and other advanced media and codecs. I suggest that you pose the question on the DVInfo forum where the CEO and CTO of Cineform hang out.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/cineform-software-showcase/

Basically, the technology has passed me by. I am no longer much of an expert at anything related to video anymore.
              • 4. Re: Open letter to Steve Gotz.
                Level 1
                Ouch. This is the end of an era. I feel nostalgic. Has it been that long?
                • 5. Re: Open letter to Steve Gotz.
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                  It has been about seven or eight years. I kept up as best I could, and I beat most everyone to HDV since I bought one of the first Sony HDR-FX1 HDV camcorders, before the HVR-Z1 was even released.

But I have fallen behind. I don't even have many customers anymore since my day job is keeping me too busy. So it is all just a hobby now. And there are few hobbyists investing in P2 technology when they already own an HDV camcorder.

I am not even sure how much longer I will maintain my web site. It has gotten updated less and less often as time has passed.
                  • 6. Re: Open letter to Steve Gotz.
                    Level 1
                    Jujufactory
                    • 7. Re: Open letter to Steve Gotz.
                      Level 1
                      Steven... what the hell are you talking about? Nothing is over until we say it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour? Where is the Steven Gotz I used to know? Where is the expert on Cineform? Where is the expert on Premiere?

I want you to get back in there. You are the master of Premiere! You were there when HD came. You were there when Cineform came. You will be there when memory cards will become the norm. Steve we need you. This is not the end.

I'm going to start a Petition now to get Steven Gotz back on track. I want everybody to sign the petition by posting their name.

We hereby ask Steven Gotz to come back with expert advice. We need him and encourage him to upgrade his website and continue his precious assistance here.

SIGNED (Print you name):
                      • 8. Re: Open letter to Steve Gotz.
                        Level 1
                        Steven... what the hell are you talking about? Nothing is over until we say it is. Where is the Steven I used to know? Where is the expert on Cineform? Where is the expert on Premiere?

I want you to get back in there. You are the master of Premiere! You were there when HD came. You were there when Cineform came. You will be there when memory cards will become the norm. Steve we need you. This is not the end.

I'm going to start a Petition now to get Steven back on track. I want everybody to sign the petition by posting their name.

We hereby ask Steven to come back with expert advice. We need him and encourage him to upgrade his website and continue his precious assistance here.

SIGNED (Print you name):
                        • 9. Re: Open letter to Steve Gotz.
                          Level 1
                          Steven... what the hell are you talking about? Nothing is over until we say it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour? Where is the Steven I used to know? Where is the expert on Cineform? Where is the expert on Premiere?

I'm going to start a Petition now to get Steven back on track. I want everybody to sign the petition by posting their name.

We hereby ask Steven to come back with expert advice. We need him and encourage him to upgrade his website and continue his precious assistance here.

SIGNED (Print you name):
                          • 10. Re: Open letter to Steve Gotz.
                            Level 1
                            Steven... what the hell are you talking about? Nothing is over until we say it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour? Where is the Steven G I used to know? Where is the expert on Cineform? Where is the expert on Premiere?

I'm going to start a Petition now to get Steven G back on track. I want everybody to sign the petition by posting their name.

We hereby ask Steven Gotz to come back with expert advice. We need him and encourage him to upgrade his website and continue his precious assistance here.

SIGNED (Print you name):
                            • 11. Re: Open letter to Steve Gotz.
                              Dan Isaacs Level 2
                              Wow, juju. I think you may have set a new record for double posting. Congrats. C'est magnétique.
                              • 12. Re: Open letter to Steve Gotz.
                                Jay Zacharias
                                Jay Zacharias