3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2008 9:31 AM by Harm Millaard

Aspect Ratio Help

I've tried to find this on my own, but to no avail. I am using a Canon XHA1 and shot footage in 16:9 HD format at 24fps. Imported it in using default Windows Video Import tool, then brought into Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows Vista.

The footage looks distorted (4:3) no matter what project settings I use. I tried using the Intrepret Footage per Adobe help, and while that does seem to get rid of the 4:3 aspect ratio, the preview window then for some reason shows a much smaller widescreen preview surrounded by a lot of black box.

I tried outputing a sample file, and sure enough, the final output shows a smaller version of the footage with more then normal black box surrounding it.

Any help in understanding what I'm doing wrong, or how to import the video correctly into Premiere is much appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Aspect Ratio Help
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Capture with HDV split and use 1080i30 for project setting.
          For 24F try these settings:
          http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3408
          What export settings did you use?
          • 2. Re: Aspect Ratio Help
            Level 1
            Thanks Ann for the help. Forgive me as I'm a newbie and still had a few questions:

1. Should I capture with Premiere and not Windows Import? If so, where do I specify HDV split? Not sure what that means.

2. When and where do I choose the 1080i30 project setting? I downloaded the 24f Canon presets and those show up, but I wasn't sure what to choose initially when opening Premiere (either a Canon preset or the 1080i30).

I'm fairly new at this so step by step is kind of what i need to figure this out.

Thanks.
            • 3. Re: Aspect Ratio Help
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              Go step by step through the manual, the help file, some good books on NLE and PP in particular and various tutorials.