25 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2008 10:49 AM by (HR_Crystal)

Seeking advice from people with websites

Level 1
      I want to get my demoreel onto a webpage as a streaming video, but i want it to be on a page that i can password protect. The thing is i dont have the slightest clue how to go about doing this, what do i need to do to make this happen, and how much might it cost?
        • 1. Re: Seeking advice from people with websites
          Dan Isaacs Level 2
          Assuming you are running Apache (and have access via Telnet or SSH) you can use htpasswd to generate password files:<br /><br />http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/programs/htpasswd.html<br /><br />Something like:<br /><br /><LocationMatch ^/www/video/streaming><br />  AuthType Basic<br />  AuthName "Authorized Users Only"<br />  AuthUserFile /usr/local/etc/htpasswd/streaming.pwd<br />  Require valid-user<br /></Location>
          • 2. Re: Seeking advice from people with websites
            Level 1
            Ok, well, lets start by assuming that im running windows XP and have no knowledge of webhosting or html. Well, common sense tells me that i will have to get a domain name, pay a webhost, and pay a website dev to create the site itself. Just wondering the cheapest way to go about this.

I want my site to consist of a few lines of text and the video itself nothing fancy, i was sort of hoping to find a template of sorts to do this without having to pay a developer.

Also, when it comes to streaming formats, which one is the hardest to copy off the net? I noticed quicktime has a right click "save as" option, whereas flash doesnt.
            • 3. Re: Seeking advice from people with websites
              akribie Level 2
              You would find it a lot easier to use a web video sharing site like YouTube than set up your own web site. Cheaper, too.
              • 4. Re: Seeking advice from people with websites
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                >Just wondering the cheapest way to go about this.

Ah. There is a secret to that technique. It's called "price comparison". I generally recommend at least three of each type of vendor before a decision is made.
                • 5. Re: Seeking advice from people with websites
                  Level 1
                  The whole aim of putting it on my own site and password protecting it is to keep it off of youtube.

Can anyone recommend a webhost? And how does one find a dev, or determine how much to pay?
                  • 6. Re: Seeking advice from people with websites
                    akribie Level 2
                    You already seem to have a web account. Most such accounts come with 'free' webspace. So you probably already have a host.

Unless, of course, you expect huge numbers of people looking at your web site, in which case you might hit traffic limits.

As for writing the simple code to get your movie onto the web, then a local directory search would seem a good place to start - much better to deal face to face than at a long distance.

Or, if you have any programming experience at all, you might be surprised how simple it can be to make a basic web site and, by using Google to look for 'password protect web page', you will find a great deal of free help to deal with that aspect in a simple way, too.

But since this is a Premiere forum, maybe we are getting rather far off topic.
                    • 7. Re: Seeking advice from people with websites
                      Level 1
                      oh ok, i guess the only thing im really confused about is how to determine how much to pay a developer. Yeah, i probably could figure out how to make a webpage, but then theres always a host of other technical problems to work out when doing anything and i dont have years to develop html troubleshooting skills.
                      • 8. Re: Seeking advice from people with websites
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        As previously stated. You shop at least three web developers, and choose one. How much you pay will depend on how much they charge. How much they charge will depend on what you want done.
                        • 9. Re: Seeking advice from people with websites
                          Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                          Poof, you also want to decide if you truly need it to stream, or if the way most of us do it, using an HTML link to a file that downloads, is sufficient for you. Because hosted streaming will cost you a LOT more.

Passwords are easy enough. Posting a link to a file is easy enough. It is just that streaming is expensive.

And I agree with Jim, just form an idea of what you want and get quotes.
                          • 10. Re: Seeking advice from people with websites
                            Level 1
                            sort of a 'surely whole aim of a demoreel is..' point,
                            but still relevant:
                            saying you go to the above trouble of paying/becoming a website dude,

what if someone you give password access to puts your demoreel on youtube anyway?

(on a more useful note: i've seen internet forums with restricted areas: shortcut might be to get an off-the-shelf forum application. that way you'd have a list of people accessing said area & when for investigating ^said violitions, as well as instant password solution)
                            • 11. Re: Seeking advice from people with websites
                              Level 1
                              We use Vimeo.com. Good encoding quality (Flash) and you can password protect your video's. Its free but up load is limited to 500 MB per week. You can also directly embed the video to your own site with password protection and all.
                              • 12. Re: Seeking advice from people with websites
                                Level 1
                                The fact is, anyone that really wants to get your video from your site will find a way. All you wind up doing is stopping some of the less enthusiastic ones, and possibly annoying people that come across you and your work via search.

Unless your reel contains material that just cannot be shown, in which case I question its place in a demo reel, my suggestion is to create the reel, brand it with a link to your website/blog/Facebook/whatever and just blast it across as many platforms as you can; YouTube, Vimeo, Brightcove, anything. If it's good, and you know it is or you wouldn't want people to see it, the idea is for it to pass through as many pairs of eyes as it can so that it hits the attention of the people that want to hire you and give you money.
                                • 13. Re: Seeking advice from people with websites
                                  Level 1
                                  Is Anyone else UltraCurious as to what would be on a demoreel you wouldn't share with the world?

(as in not curious to see the reel, just whats on it that needs hiding!)
                                  • 14. Re: Seeking advice from people with websites
                                    Level 1
                                    You could go with hostgator who is who I am with having recently switched.
                                    They get one of the highest approval ratings.
                                    Type hostgator reviews into google and see for yourself.

You will need a program like Dreamweaver to do websites.
                                    That lets you insert passwords protected scripts.

Unless you are willing to pay for someone else to do the designing then buying software & reading up on what you want to do is unavoidable.
                                    • 15. Re: Seeking advice from people with websites
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                      >hosted streaming will cost you a LOT more.

Not necessarily. I pay $6.95/month for unlimited disk storage and bandwidth at InMotionHosting.
                                      • 16. Re: Seeking advice from people with websites
                                        Curt Wrigley Level 4
                                        But do they provide a streaming video server? Or are you just doing progressive downloads? I suspect the later which they are free to thottle back or even shut off as they see fit.
                                        • 17. Re: Seeking advice from people with websites
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                                          I can do either.
                                          • 18. Re: Seeking advice from people with websites
                                            Curt Wrigley Level 4
                                            Im very dubious.

Somewhere in theie terms of their service will be language that reads something like "unlimited BW based on normal website usage" which allows them to throttle you or shut you off as they see fit. There is no way 6.95 a month is really unlimited bw. If you believe it is, I some swamp land ill sell you.

Curt
                                            • 19. Re: Seeking advice from people with websites
                                              Dan Isaacs Level 2
                                              Another note about "unlimited" bandwidth: If your cheapo web host has only marginal servers and connectivity and they really do allow everyone "unlimited" bandwidth it will certainly choke at some point.
                                              • 20. Re: Seeking advice from people with websites
                                                Curt Wrigley Level 4
                                                Exactly. All these cheap plans are shared hosts with dozens or more customers all on the same blade server. Any one of the customers can hose the whole server or network making unlimited BW impossible by its very nature.

If you use any real BW on a shared host account, they will eventually kick you off the plan or force you to upgrade to a dedicated or "VPS plan" (VPS plans are just shared servers with less customers per server than their regular shared hosting plans)

Curt
                                                • 21. Re: Seeking advice from people with websites
                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                  It's not a dedicated server, to be sure. That definitely costs more. But I've had no problems yet with availability. And for the price, it's certainly worth a go.
                                                  • 22. Re: Seeking advice from people with websites
                                                    Dan Isaacs Level 2
                                                    VPS rocks. It's really more than just shared hosting with less clients: You can install and run whatever you want, customize the server however you want, which you cannot do on shared plans. I'm big into ModPerl, which (by nature) you cannot run on a shared host.

I do admin on several VPS servers from http://www.fluidhosting.com/ and I'm very happy with them.

The support is fantastic (albeit email/chat only). No complaints for the price (although they don't have video streaming on their FreeBSD servers, perhaps on the Windows ones?)
                                                    • 23. Re: Seeking advice from people with websites
                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                      InMotionHosting does provide password protected directories, which poof seemed interested in.

And they do provide VPS starting at $40/month. (Plus they offer 24/7 phone support, as well as email and chat.)
                                                      • 24. Re: Seeking advice from people with websites
                                                        you can use mediafire.com to place the video and then only give out the password info to whomever you want to download the file. MediaFire is free, and password protected. Just an alternative, maybe make it in .mov for the quicktime player as it has a pretty good looking interface.
                                                        • 25. Re: Seeking advice from people with websites
                                                          Level 1
                                                          I can help you with this one -- I run a webserver. :)

a Couple of Questions:
                                                          1. Do you want your own domain name? Or simply a location you can send people to? (This I can do for you for free, I'll just tuck it under my domain name with a roachsrealm.com/yoursitename

2. Streaming media formats can be expensive (to use space) or bandwidth heavy (like using quicktime, windows Media, Flash) There is a script (I'll see if I can dig it out, I used it once) that your webdev can use, that you can put your video on youtube, mark it private then the link from the site translates that with the hyperlink.

3. Password protecting a page or file is cake if you're an admin.

Feel free to drop me a line and we can chat about it a bit more. roach@roachsrealm.com