8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2008 4:58 PM by (Christopher_Glaeser)

Ultra

Level 1
      Has Ultra been added to Premiere CS4? I don't see it listed on the page of
      new features.

Best,
      Christopher
        • 1. Re: Ultra
          Eliot Goshman
          Ultra has been discontinued. The keyer section is used in the newest versions of Visual Communicator and Premiere Elements.
          • 2. Re: Ultra
            Level 1
            The problems of modern capitalism. A big company buys a small company with a great product and discontinue the product so it won't compete. Final result: the consumer never benefits from the competition.
            • 3. Re: Ultra
              Dan Isaacs Level 2
              Well then, find another keyer. You may want to check out the CineGobs keyer -- it's free. Capitalize on that.
              • 4. Re: Ultra
                Curt Wrigley Level 4
                juju, your remarks are always dramatic, but often not very accurate. If you read this thread you will see Adobe has already integrated the Serious magic technology into some of its products. And OL has gotten the complete adobe maker and is now part of their suites. That is hardly evidence adobe bought SM to suppress competition. Ultra was an excellent keyer, a one trick pony; but hardly competition for Pr or Ae.
                • 5. Re: Ultra
                  Level 1
                  I thought I heard or read somewhere that it wasn't discontinued, but just put on hold while Adobe figured out whether to integrate it into something else, or do a re-write so it could be cross platform.
                  • 6. Re: Ultra
                    Level 1
                    >I thought I heard or read somewhere that it wasn't discontinued, but just
                    >put on hold while Adobe figured out whether to integrate it into something
                    >else, or do a re-write so it could be cross platform.

Adobe has said development of the Ultra technology continues, but has been
                    intentionally vague about the details. For example, it is possible Adobe
                    will release another version of Ultra in the future (I doubt this scenario
                    given that Ultra has been dropped from the product lineup), or it is
                    possible the technology will be folded into AE (my guess), or something
                    else. Also, they have not specified which Ultra technology, and Ultra has
                    at least two major technologies a) keying technology, and b) virtual
                    tracking set technology. When Adobe says "Ultra technology", they may be
                    referring to one or both of these technologies.

The most frustrating development is Adobe's decision to delete the entire
                    Serious Magic Knowledgebase. Apparently, an engineer in the group that
                    maintains these forums told them it was not possible to copy fourm messages
                    from one forum to another (SQL copies are sooooo confusing), so they deleted
                    the entire SM knowledgebase. Now, when someone asks questions on the Adobe
                    Ultra forum, there is no knowledge base to search and provide the answer.

Best,
                    Christopher
                    • 7. Re: Ultra
                      shooternz Level 6
                      Sometime ago I suggested to Serious Magic that they maybe able to incorporate their Ultra keying technology into DVRack.

I still think it would be a great feature. I shoot a lot of keys and to be able to trial compose on location would be fantastic.
                      • 8. Re: Ultra
                        Level 1
                        > Sometime ago I suggested to Serious Magic that they maybe able to
                        > incorporate their Ultra keying technology into DVRack.
                        >
                        > I still think it would be a great feature. I shoot a lot of keys and to be
                        > able to trial compose on location would be fantastic.

Prior to the acquistion by Adobe, SM was developing such a product. In
                        fact, they had a demo at one of the trade shows.

Best,
                        Christopher