5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2008 9:01 PM by Jim_Simon

Jim Simon - Recomendation help?

Level 1
      Hey Jim,

Do you think any of these boards would work well supporting the Q6600?

Asus P5N-D nForce 750i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard
      Asus P5N-E nForce 650i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard
      EVGA NFORCE 680i SLI CHIPSET 1333FSB DDR2/800 SATA RAID W/ USB2.0, 1GbLAN

Or would you recomend something comnpletly different?

I am building a system from cyberpower and it gives you motherboard options for use with the Q6600.

Also...what do you think of the:
      NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT 1GB 16X PCI Express
      NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT 1GB 16X PCI Express
      NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 16X PCI Express

Thanks for your suggestions!
        • 1. Re: Jim Simon - Recomendation help?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I'm not too familiar with those boards, mostly because I prefer Intel chipsets over nVidia. I'd probably go for one with an x38 or x48 chipset myself, something in the P5E lineup.

For the GPU, that's a tougher call. Currently, the GPU has little affect on rendering and playback performance. That might change with CS4, Adobe having said it will take better advantage of the GPU, but not going into detail about how or to what degree.

What Adobe has said is that CS4 will take advantage of the SSE4 instruction set, which was specifically designed for video processing. I'd expect to see pretty decent rendering improvements using that feature (somewhere in the double-digit percentage range). But those instructions are only available on the newer 45nm CPU models, the Yorkfield and Wolfdale processors. Whether or not that improvement will be worth the price increase is an individual decision.
          • 2. Re: Jim Simon - Recomendation help?
            Level 1
            Thanks for your help Jim! I will look into some of those recommendations.

If you were going for eight cores what would you go with? CPU and Motherboard? I used to be up on these things but it has been awhile and by the sound of things you keep current with technology.

Thanks again!
            • 3. Re: Jim Simon - Recomendation help?
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              To get 8 cores, you'd need a server motherboard. Those I'm really not up on at all. Harm can give you better advice on that front.
              • 4. Re: Jim Simon - Recomendation help?
                Level 1
                What would you think about something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/GAMING-QUAD-2-CORE-PC-GAMER-DUO-COMPUTER-GAME-DUAL-hp_W0QQitemZ2002558 23653QQihZ010QQcategoryZ179QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
                • 5. Re: Jim Simon - Recomendation help?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  I always build my own.

http://www.newegg.com/

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Home.jsp