4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2008 10:05 PM by (pat_ford)

Video Formats

I would like some help on Video Formats within PP CS3. (I don't own a copy yet)

In an environment where the TV is digital how should I encode the video output when making a DVD - eg does PAL or NTSC enter into it. Can I keep all pixels from whatever digital source (eg Photoshop, camera) square and assume they will be that way in the output as well?

If PAL or NTSC doesn't enter into it will it play OK on TV's that are PAL or NTSC as well? Will the pixel aspect ratio of the analogue screens cause picture distortions?

Looking forward to a full HD setup (Blu-Ray etc) can I make my projects in 1920x1080p now and somehow export them to SD for normal DVD's, but keep the project in HD so I can re-export it later to Blu-Ray when I get one?

Thanks,
      Baz
        • 1. Re: Video Formats
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          TV is not digital by definition. DVD is MPEG2 with the normal resolution of 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL) with a certain PAR. No square pixels.
          HDV is 1440x1080 with a 1.33 PAR. Again no square pixels. Encode to MPEG2-DVD in the format your material is shot, either 4x3 or 16x9 and use NTSC or PAL as applies to your region.
          • 2. Re: Video Formats
            Level 1
            Thanks Harm,

However I am even more confused now. And I don't know enough to know for sure what to ask.

My scenario is that I am using sources from digital cameras or created on the PC (not actual video yet). So all my source pixels are square. My digital TV screen has a resolution of 1920x1080 and I believe these to be square pixels. It has inbuilt a digital and an analogue tuner and picks up the analogue PAL signals, and both the SD and HD digital signals broadcast in Australia

I want to create projects (eg slide shows and animations) in HD (1920x1080) and be able to output them in both the best format to burn onto DVD for viewing on an analogue system and similarly on a system that has a native SD digital tuner, and also onto a Blu-Ray.

So firstly, can PP CS3 do this (create a 1920x1080 project and output it to Bluray and DVD of any ilk. The key here, I think, is can it output it to a frame size different to the project size)

The next step is to understand that if it can do this, what is the output format that will maximise the quality of reproduction when using a DVD with my digital TV (I think this means do I still have to use PAL given I effectively have a DVD feeding a set top box driving a digital LCD screen with square pixels - it seems to me that PAL - with interlacing and non square pixels - is irrelevant in that scenario and a progressive format with square pixels should work fine and give best performance).

Any light that can be shed would be useful.

Thanks,
            Baz.
            • 3. Re: Video Formats
              Level 1
              Premiere does HDV which is 1440x1080. Yes, it can be exported to blu-ray at 1920x1080. Yes, it can also be exported to DVD where the footage will automatically be down converted to DV widescreen.