4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2008 7:14 AM by Jim_Simon

16:9 export

I'm having some trouble exporting footage i've shot in 16:9. I HAVE looked through the forum at people's posts with similar problems, and none of it is any use, i don't think. basically, i shot on DV, 16:9, i'm fairly sure the project settings are correct, as everything looks fine. When it comes to exporting, no matter what i do, i just get a squeezed and cropped box image in the middle of the screen. I have tried manually changing the aspect ratio to 640:360 or whatever in the export dialogue window, and all that happens is i get a nice black 16:9 box, which would look correct if it wasn't for the fact the image is STILL squeezed, cropped, and sitting centre-frame like a lemon. Can anyone help?
        • 1. Re: 16:9 export
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          OE, source material, project settings or export settings are the likely cause.
          • 2. Re: 16:9 export
            Eddie Lotter Level 4

Please provide these details to help us help you.

Cheers
            Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
            - Over 300 frequently answered questions
            - Over 250 free tutorials
            - Maintained by editors like you
            Forum FAQ
            • 3. Re: 16:9 export
              The best thing to do here is export your video to a new clip which is widescreen, then bring that clip into a new, standard project and scale it down to fit the SD frame (about 74% if I remember right...)

This is one area where CS4 will be helpful- edit in widescreen sequence, then drop into SD sequence and scale to fit- no clip exporting needed. :)
              • 4. Re: 16:9 export
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                I disagree with Justin, Eddie's got a pretty big list, I think Harm's on the right track but I will clarify one point.

Is your DV footage letterboxed or anamorphic?

You can check by clicking on the clip in the bin. Up next to the thumbnail, you will see some information about the clip. If the PAR is (.9), then your clip is letterboxed and you should be editing in a normal 4:3 preset and exporting a normal 4:3 image.

Only if the PAR says (1.2) is your footage true widescreen (anamorphic).