12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2009 12:40 PM by canonxl1

Premier CS3 is demolishing my DVCPRO HD 1080i footage

My project looks BEAUTIFUL on my original timeline but by the time it is encoded to standard DVD specs (progressive or interlaced) it looks almost like VHS. I have read the discussions about what the CS3 deinterlacing does to our beautiful HD footage.

I have also read the very detailed work arounds posted by Dan Isaacs. I really appreciate the extreme technical knowledge and talent that Dan and those who follow Dans procdures have. I on the other hand am just a professional editor/producer that has been doing video production full time for 20 years. I do not have the knowledge or time to follow this procedure.

All I want is for Premier CS3 to render my HD footage into acceptable DVD quality. Is the new CS4 going to do a better job of rendering DVCPRO HD 1080i???? Or do I need to go to a different editing program after using Premier since the days of 5.1???

Please Help if you can...

Thanks,

Mark Voigt
        • 1. Re: Premier CS3 is demolishing my DVCPRO HD 1080i footage
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          My own limited experience opinion is that it may be better to keep things consistent. If you shoot in HD, then edit, deliver and watch only in HD.

If you deliver in SD, then shoot edit and watch only in SD. Things do seem to get tricky when you mix and match SD and HD.
          • 2. Re: Premier CS3 is demolishing my DVCPRO HD 1080i footage
            Harm Millaard Level 7
            Going from HD to SD means going from 100% quality back to 25%. If you add de-interlacing from PP you throw away 50% vertical resolution, so your vertical quality hit is enormous. If you don't want to take that quality hit, burn to BR, but check whether the player does accept burned BR's. Often they don't.
            • 3. Re: Premier CS3 is demolishing my DVCPRO HD 1080i footage
              TradeWind Level 3
              As to CS4....CS4 will let Encore use PPro sequences without rendering (via Dynamic Link) so that may help somewhat. Might be worth checking it out when it arrives (30 day money back guarantee means that if it still destroys your footage, you can still get a refund and look elsewhere for a solution).
              • 4. Re: Premier CS3 is demolishing my DVCPRO HD 1080i footage
                Dan Isaacs Level 2
                As for CS4, it apparently (according to Harm's research, anyway...) uses the same scaling and deinterlacing algorithms as in CS3, so it may not help the quality of HD->SD.

> I do not have the knowledge or time to follow this procedure.

Seriously, Mark... There's just no other way to do this that I'm aware of. I really encourage you to try it out. It will certainly take less time to figure out my method than, say, learning another editing program (which may or may not do things any better than Premiere).

I offer you the same help as anyone else: Try it out and, if you get stuck, I'll help you get through it.
                • 5. Re: Premier CS3 is demolishing my DVCPRO HD 1080i footage
                  Level 1
                  Dan,

Thanks for your encouragement! I will take another look.

On the other hand...what if I invested in the Matrox AXIO LE hardware. Would this by-pass the Premier CS3 deinterlacing issue and provide a high quality conversion to standard DVD from my 1080i HD footage?

ThaNKS,

Mark
                  • 6. Re: Premier CS3 is demolishing my DVCPRO HD 1080i footage
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    Seems like a waste of money when Dan's solution is free, let alone the introduction of typical Matrox related problems into your workflow. If you want progressive, why not shoot it? If you shoot interlaced and the DVD has an interlaced wrapper, why the fixation on de-interlacing?
                    • 7. Re: Premier CS3 is demolishing my DVCPRO HD 1080i footage
                      Dan Isaacs Level 2
                      > Would this by-pass the Premier CS3 deinterlacing issue and provide a high quality conversion to standard DVD from my 1080i HD footage?

No. I actually have the RT.X2 -- I wouldn't describe it as a waste of money, as I love the realtime editing, but it's not an "essential" and in this case solves only the colorspace conversion issue, not the interlaced quality.

If you're looking to invest in anything, think about getting Cineform. Again, this won't solve the interlacing problems but it handles colorspaces correctly and is a damn fine intermediary codec. Couple this with a BlackMagic card and I think you'll be very happy. I'm no expert on this stuff, but I think Craig Howard uses a DVCProHD/Cineform workflow... (Craig?)

> If you want progressive, why not shoot it

That's a valid point. What are you using -- an HVX200 or something? You may want to think about shooting and editing in 720/60p (or 50p in PAL land). You could then use my "advanced" hd2sd() workflow to make either/both interlaced/progressive DVD versions from that -- and you can output 720/60p Blu-Ray also.
                      • 8. Re: Premier CS3 is demolishing my DVCPRO HD 1080i footage
                        Level 1
                        I've been shooting all summer for a client that is building a library of footage that will be used on many future projects. We dicided early on to shoot in 1080i with the new HVX200 P2 camera

My first stab at providing my client with a standard def DVD for review of some of the footage has brought up the fact that Premier CS3 will demolish the quality when you convert down 1080i to standard def DVD. Most HD projects still need to be distributed in standard DVD format.

Now I have a library of 1080i HD footage and need to begin supplying finished DVD's in standard def. My 1080i footage is beautiful and I have to believe I can supply "ACCEPTABLE" standard DVD's to my client. If it take an investment in Hardware to do it, I guess I have no choice. Just looking for advice on affordable hardware that will solve the issue.

I owned a Matrox DTV for many years and it was very faithfull. Why do you mention typical Matrox related problems?

Thanks,

Mark
                        • 9. Re: Premier CS3 is demolishing my DVCPRO HD 1080i footage
                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                          >Now I have a library of 1080i HD footage and need to begin supplying finished DVD's in standard def. My 1080i footage is beautiful and I have to believe I can supply "ACCEPTABLE" standard DVD's to my client. If it take an investment in Hardware to do it, I guess I have no choice. Just looking for advice on affordable hardware that will solve the issue.

Hardware with this kind of capability is expensive. For about 500 bucks you could buy Sorenson Squeeze (after testing the trial version, of course). Its deinterlacing is way better than Premiere's, and its scaling is at least as good. (But not as good as Dan's script functions - which I remind you are completely free)

Squeeze is easy to use, has batch processing built in, and produces good results.

I expect that Grass Valley's ProCoder 3 will do as good a job, but since they won't let you test a trial version, you have to purchase the product blindly without knowing whether it does the job for you or not. Silly policy if you ask me.
                          • 10. Re: Premier CS3 is demolishing my DVCPRO HD 1080i footage
                            videostart Level 1

Where are these solutions from Dan that I keep reading about....they sound pretty helpful

• 11. Re: Premier CS3 is demolishing my DVCPRO HD 1080i footage
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, the links to the original articles are possibly broken now - forum changeover. However, you *might* be able to locate the new links via Search. It's different now, as you have to initiate the Search, Enter, ignore what is found, then go to Options. There you can set the criteria for Forum, and then add Dan to the list. That *should* get you close. Might take some doing. If I can locate Dan's excellent articles in the new forum, I'll be sure to post the current links. Until the Google (and other) 'bots complete a full sweep of the new forum, and compile the new links, older articles just might be out in limbo.

Hunt

[Edit] Here's ONE for you, but it's mostly Dan's replies and not the main How To article that I'm looking for.

[Edit 2] Here is ANOTHER, that looks like the original article, but seems truncated, in that this link goes to Jeff Bellune's reply, which, IIRC was way down the thread. Maybe the original is lost forever.

• 12. Re: Premier CS3 is demolishing my DVCPRO HD 1080i footage
                                canonxl1

My Friend

Switch to CS4 firstly it runs on 64bit 8 gig ram if poossible make use of the program called On Location that came with CS4 to capture direct from your camera.

Import into Premier / edit and titled / go to Encore to make your fancy menu's then you can code to Blue Ray or HD via encoder and you should get crisp and detail quality to play back on a HD tv nothing else.

Otherwise make a avi file via media encoder that also ship with CS4 and then go to Adobe Encore to code your DVD.

And oh yes it all works because thats what i do. My Spec Pentium Core to Duo / 8 gig ram / Vista 64 / 2 X 22inch monitors / 1 32" HD TV and a normal capture card.with a 512 MB but will change that very soon.

Please note if you want to go HD you have to go all the way including HD monitors/TV's and lots of disk space and preferable go Quad Core.

Good luck from Cape Town

South Africa