19 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2007 6:52 AM by Jeff Bellune

2d3 SteadyMove

Does it still come with CS3? If not, is there a free download? Or a replacement plugin?

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: 2d3 SteadyMove
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Frequently answered question

Cheers
          Eddie

Forum FAQ
          Premiere Pro Wiki
          - Over 250 frequently answered questions
          - Over 100 free tutorials
          - Maintained by editors like you
          • 2. Re: 2d3 SteadyMove
            Level 1
            I remember when Pro 2 was released, 2d3 plugin is not compatible either. However, 2d3 later released a compatible version for free. The question is: is this still part of CS3 which will be release later for free? Or Adobe has a replacement plugin?
            • 3. Re: 2d3 SteadyMove
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5
              I believe it was dropped. That's that. When they are ready, you can buy it from 2d3.
              • 4. Re: 2d3 SteadyMove
                Level 1
                That's really disappointing. The plug has worked magic for me. Is there any replacement? Otherwise I have to hold off the upgrade.
                • 5. Re: 2d3 SteadyMove
                  Level 1
                  There isn't plugin included with PProCS3 that provides the same functionality. The replacement is you buy the plugin.
                  • 6. Re: 2d3 SteadyMove
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    Or shoot with a tripod.
                    • 7. Re: 2d3 SteadyMove
                      Curt Wrigley Level 4
                      See this thread:
                      jjvideofilm, "Where is SteadyMove?" #14, 19 Jul 2007 3:42 pm

You cant even buy it from 2d3 now. They havnt made it to work with CS3 yet and so far have no commitment for a time table.

This is the problem with adobe relying on 3rd party tools for key functionality. 3rd parties can choose to stop supporting whenever they want.

Curt
                      • 8. Re: 2d3 SteadyMove
                        Animotion.nl Adobe Community Professional
                        If you have Production Premium CS3, you can stabilize in After Effects and Dynamic Link back to PPro. (In CS3 there is only one version of AE; the full/pro version)

Joost
                        • 9. Re: 2d3 SteadyMove
                          Level 1
                          btw when it comes to 2d3: first,- I don't like it at all! And Harm is right - better off shooting with a tripod and all variants of image stabilizer turned off.
                          My experience is a) that 2d3 adds some sort of "picture-wobbling". It seem like a quite slow wave over the lower 1/3 -1/2 of the screen. This applies even when 2d3 is tweaked towards its minimum settings. Furthermore b)It doesen't help to to put the clips in separate sub-sequences as stated previously on this forum. As I understood it 2d3 should then consequently "learn" the the first few frames of the clips and such achieve the optimal result. Definately not my experience!
                          • 10. Re: 2d3 SteadyMove
                            TradeWind Level 3
                            Well, I tend to avoid using the SteadyMove plugin myself, mainly because if the footage is "very" shaky, then the plugin has to do a lot of work to get it balanced out, and then the picture looks awful. If the picture is only slightly shaky, I've found that the image looks somewhat organic and is preferable than smoothing it out a little and taking the hit on quality.

Obviously, a corporate video would not benefit from the "organic" feel of a non-stabilized camera, so I have taken steps (tripods, video monopods, steadicam, other stabilizing units) in my production to make sure that I don't have to fix it in post except very rarely. This is the ideal situation, of course, but is what I would expect most competent videographers would try to prepare for in their day-to-day (or week-to-week) work.

I would argue against calling the SteadyMove stabilization "key functionality," since I think most video shot by professionals is already stable. For the other cases where this function is needed, it seems justifiable to allow the 3rd party groups to develop it and sell it for those of us that need it, and then not sell it if demand is reasonably low. I categorize myself as someone who does not require such a so-called "key functionality."

Just my two cents, I realize some disagree and are upset over the lack of support in CS3. To that, I can only add that you may want to keep your copy of PP2 handy in those exceptional cases where you need to render out a stabilized clip.
                            • 11. Re: 2d3 SteadyMove
                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                              >I categorize myself as someone who does not require such a so-called "key functionality."

As do I. I've used the 2d3 plug-in exactly once in four years for a paying client. And I no longer hire the shooter that caused me to use it.
                              • 12. Re: 2d3 SteadyMove
                                Curt Wrigley Level 4
                                Obviously, if you can re-shoot it right such a tool isnt needed. But for the one important shot that cannot be re-shot; such a tool is very useful. Even Key to a successful project.

The competition is adding better anti shake features while adobe has pulled theirs out (or the 3rd party has pulled it out depending on how you look at it) Pitty

Curt
                                • 13. Re: 2d3 SteadyMove
                                  TradeWind Level 3
                                  Now there's a thought...the shooter screws up the shots, tell him (or her) that you'll cut his (or her) invoice to pay for the 3rd party plugin. Done :)

I understand the value of such a tool for "that one shot." However, I don't think that shot, being rare as it is, should dictate the plugin list of an NLE. Obviously, if motion controls or audio manipulation tools (which are still quite insufficient in most other NLE offerings) were missing or only 3rd party available, then we'd have a problem. As it stands, the shot that this plugin saves is the rare exception and might should be treated as such.

Out of my own curiousity, which competitive product do you have in mind when describing a better anti-shake feature? I had looked around a couple years ago and could find nothing better than the 2d3 SteadyMove (Pro) and the solutions available in After Effects (although they work a little differently).
                                  • 15. Re: 2d3 SteadyMove
                                    Level 1
                                    Joost,

Could you point me to how this can be done in AE?

To a few posters,

Please don't turn this into "if this functionality is needed" discussion. I am not here to ask if this plugin is needed and I don't have a cameraman to blame.

Thanks!
                                    • 16. Re: 2d3 SteadyMove
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                      You should probably read the manual for After Effects to learn how to use it. If you still have any questions, the AE forum would be the better place to ask. The guys over there really know that program.
                                      • 17. Re: 2d3 SteadyMove
                                        Level 1
                                        My understanding is that it's also a plugin for AE so that AE must not have this function built in. Are you sure you can do this w/o the plugin in AE?
                                        • 18. Re: 2d3 SteadyMove
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                                          I may be talking out of turn here, but the stabilization feature of After Effects was native to the CS2 suite, not a plug-in. I'd be surprised if that changed for CS3.
                                          • 19. Re: 2d3 SteadyMove
                                            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                            The SteadyMove plugin *works* in AE, but it is not required. AE has tracking/stabilization built in, and has for a long time, at least in the Pro versions.