5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2008 6:49 AM by Jim_Simon

Easy newb question

I've never done any form of video editing before but I am interested in it so I'll be watching all of those tutorial videos and faqs soon (now that I have Premiere)

But I need to get something completed quickly (example: today)
      I would assume this is pretty basic and someone may be able to just quickly explain the process to me. Guess I should get on with it huh?

I have a screen capture video of a application I built with quite a few moving parts (prototype doesn't take user input and menus don't work) I need to be able to "fake" some menus and configuration panels as if the user is navigating through them. I have jpg of the menu screen and I can get them to lay on top of the other layer then set some opacity but I can't place it anywhere I want (the video layer) not sure how to resize one layer and move it around on top of another one.
      Also is setting the opacity my best bet?

Well if anyone has any way to simply explain what I need to do for this then let me know. Second option would be if anyone knows a couple videos I can watch really quick (not to in depth) just to understand these features (and maybe more about frames/keyframes)
      Would be awesome
      Thanks
        • 1. Re: Easy newb question
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          Tutorials, help file and manual are good starting points, as well as at least a basic education in NLE.
          • 2. Re: Easy newb question
            Level 1
            Thanks. What's NLE?
            And since I have no experience in video editing I'm not sure what to look for in the help files. Any keywords you can give me to start with?
            Thanks again
            • 3. Re: Easy newb question
              Eddie Lotter Level 4

NLE = non-linear editor. Keywords you will be interested in are scale, motion and opacity.

You will find links to many free tutorials in the PremiereProPedia that will quickly show you how things are done in Premiere Pro.

Cheers
              Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
              - Over 300 frequently answered questions
              - Over 250 free tutorials
              - Maintained by editors like you
              Forum FAQ
              • 4. Re: Easy newb question
                TradeWind Level 3
                Lynda.com has a free 24 hour trial (http://tinyurl.com/4spgoo) as well or a monthly access fee of $25, and there are plenty of tutorials to help you with what you need. With a full day of training, you could be in good shape by this time tomorrow.

Won't make you a super incredible editor, but you'll be on your way to at least finishing the project in front of you.

As far as doing it today...well, you might want to try stalling whoever it is you're working for until at least tomorrow, probably Monday if you can. Besides the training time, you'll need time for the actual editing as well as rendering, burning, etc etc.

Once you get on your feet with the training, the full subscription is well worth it. They add new courses all the time, and the project files in the Premium subscription are very helpful.
                • 5. Re: Easy newb question
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  I agree with Christian. For an inexperienced editor to learn what he needs to know and actually do the editing by the end of today is quite the task.

I'd actually try and get it delayed a full week.