10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2008 7:21 AM by (Jyrki_Hokkanen)

Please help! Color problem!

Level 1
      Hi,
      For my movie, I rented a $8k camera (Cana XL H1) for two days. The first day we shot the first half of the movie, and the second day the other half.

I was reviewing the footage here and.. uh oh.. It seems some setting on the camera was changed and about 1.3 hours of my footage has some strange orangish glow.

Here is a picture. The image on the left is obviously correct:
      http://img29.picoodle.com/img/img29/3/10/2/f_testttm_f84d2c3.jpg
      Please tell me there is hope!
        • 1. Re: Please help! Color problem!
          Level 1
          Did you accidently hit the white balance at the wrong time?
          I don't think there is anything you can do...you can defintily tone down the orange but I don't think you can get back anything like the picture on the left.
          • 2. Re: Please help! Color problem!
            Level 1
            I see.. what should I do then.. just apply a Channel Mixer effect to all the footage?

Thanks
            • 3. Re: Please help! Color problem!
              Dan Isaacs Level 2
              > Please tell me there is hope!

Ummm. Not much. As tlc said, you can likely tone it back a bit but it seems way too far off to correct completely.

Ever thought about doing the whole thing in black and white? :) That would fix it.
              • 4. Re: Please help! Color problem!
                Level 1
                Thanks,
                I asked the question about the Color Mixer because I'm new to Adobe and I would like to know what the best method is for this. So is using the Color Mixer the best method?

Now it seems I can't apply the color mixer effect to more than one clip at once. Rather than re-capturing as one long clip and re-importing.. is there a way to select multiple clips and apply the same effect with the same properties of that effect to them all?

Thanks
                • 5. Re: Please help! Color problem!
                  Dan Isaacs Level 2
                  > Now it seems I can't apply the color mixer effect to more than one clip at once.

No, but you can copy and paste the Color Mixer effect to each clip instance (manually, unfortunately).

> So is using the Color Mixer the best method?

I'm not sure about that. Try the Three-way Color Corrector, for instance.

Could you upload two samples of the original footage somewhere so I can check them out in more detail? Give me one "good one" and one orange one.
                  • 6. Re: Please help! Color problem!
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    This looks like the footage one of my guys brings back when he forgets to switch off the outdoor filter for indoor shots. Turns everything orange.

I've had to deal with this kind of footage several times. I use Magic Bullet Colorista to fix it and get pretty decent results.
                    • 7. Re: Please help! Color problem!
                      Level 1
                      Thanks guys.. I'm feeling a little more relieved now.

I've uploaded the orange and 'good' clips here Dan:
                      http://www.2shared.com/file/4029876/705e6594/goodandorange.html

I'm definitely going to look into that software, Jim. Thanks

Here is what I achieved with the color mixer in Premiere:
                      http://img29.picoodle.com/img/img29/3/10/2/f_resutlm_141b7b7.jpg
                      • 8. Re: Please help! Color problem!
                        Dan Isaacs Level 2
                        Hey Derek,

It seems you did a pretty good job with the color mixer -- probably as good as you can get. I played around for a few minutes and I was not able to achieve anything better.

However, I think that reshooting (if possible) is your best option. The color cast is really strong.
                        • 9. Re: Please help! Color problem!
                          Level 1
                          Thank you Dan. I'd love to reshoot but that's not an option for the cast at this point. I didn't notice the coloring, actually, until I compared it to how the clips should look, so I'm sure with this tweaking, the audience won't really notice.

Thanks again
                          • 10. Re: Please help! Color problem!
                            Hello Derek

I would use RGB Curves filter. This way blacks and whites can be adjusted independently for red, green, and blue. Use the RGB Parade scope together with the Program Monitor. Here is an example of the color corrected clip:
                            http://staff.csc.fi/jyrki.hokkanen/orange_not.jpg

To find RGB Parade, go to the file menu, Window, Reference Monitor, and choose RGB Parade from the click-arrow-list from top right hand side.

In order to get proper reading from the RGB scope, go to Project Settings, Video Rendering, and tick the Maximum Bit Depth box.

In your particular example, there is an extra problem with blown out reds. Take care that red component reaches the top of the scope, otherwise highlights will be blue-green.

It takes practice to do heavy color correction. I do wildlife video and have to fine tune most of my shots in post...