15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2008 9:06 PM by Jim_Simon

Don't wait for the Intel Core i7 CPU!!!

Harm Millaard Level 7
      Anybody contemplating a new system with the Core i7 CPU better be warned! (Jim, are you listening?).

Due to the architecture of the X58 chipset, which does not allow for separate voltages for the CPU and memory, warnings about permanent damage to the core i7 are rampant.

The core i7 can NOT handle voltages over 1.65V. However, most DDR3 memory chips require MORE than 1.65V, sometimes up to 1.80V. In that case permanent damage to the core i7 is the result. It will be fried.

• 1. Re: Don't wait for the Intel Core i7 CPU!!!
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          >"One of the biggest concerns about Bloomfield X58 motherboards were previous reports that X58 boards will have to use the same voltage for Vcore, CPU and Vmem, the memory on the board. In previous reports, we learned that first revision of the boards had these two things Vcore and Vmem synchronous.

>We learned that motherboard manufacturers will be able to separate the CPU and memory voltages, and yes, this means that you will be able to set the voltage on your CPU independently from the one on your memory.

>This will certainly make the overclocking much easier, as you wont burn your CPU with 1.8V voltages that you might need for some ultra faster DDR3 memories. You can expect that the next Asus, MSI, Gigabyte boards, among the others, comes with separate Vmem and Vcore settings."

Seems Asus chose not to separate them for their first gen P6T, but the option is there for future revisions and other mobos.

In any event, I had no trouble finding appropriate memory for this board. Shouldn't be an issue if one is careful about matching parts.

Still, this is a good warning, as I was not aware of the problem.
          • 2. Re: Don't wait for the Intel Core i7 CPU!!!
            Harm Millaard Level 7
            > We learned that motherboard manufacturers will be able to separate the CPU and memory voltages, and yes, this means that you will be able to set the voltage on your CPU independently from the one on your memory.

At least ASUS has not been able to separate them and the fact that they warn explicitly for the danger can be construed as indicative of the problems they encounter in separating these voltages. This is a major drawback for users wanting speedy DDR3 modules, since nearly all 1600 and 1333 modules require more than 1.65V. It is also an impediment for overclockers.
            • 3. Re: Don't wait for the Intel Core i7 CPU!!!
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              I wouldn't say they were unable so separate the voltages, just that they didn't for their first revision of the P6T. I expect later revisions/models will have the feature enabled.

And while there are DDR3 modules that require more than 1.65V, I had no trouble finding about twenty choices at one site alone that are 1.6V and below. So again, with careful matching, this should not be a problem.
              • 4. Re: Don't wait for the Intel Core i7 CPU!!!
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                Corsair 1.8V, Kingston Hyper 1.9V, etc. At slower speeds you may be right, but why the latest and cripple it with slow Ram? That defeats the intention of DDR3 at 1333 or 1600 speeds.
                • 5. Re: Don't wait for the Intel Core i7 CPU!!!
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  I found several 1333 modules at 1.5V and 1.6V over at ZipZoomFly. If someone wants to wait for a mobo with unlocked voltages, I've no quarrel. But if someone's anxious for the new processors sooner rather than later, it can be made to work now - safely. And the new Core i7's will probably offer a larger performance boost over similarly spec'd Core 2s than you'd see getting faster memory.
                  • 6. Re: Don't wait for the Intel Core i7 CPU!!!
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    Here's an example of that increased performance I'm talking about.

"Expreview claims to have caught a peek at benchmarks Intel sent to its partners. Those benchmarks supposedly pit a 3.2GHz Core 2 Extreme QX9770 against a Core i7 965 (also clocked at 3.2GHz, if past reports are accurate), and they give the Core i7 a...41% lead in video editing and conversion."
                    • 7. Re: Don't wait for the Intel Core i7 CPU!!!
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      "OCZ Technology today unveiled the industry's first triple channel memory kit designed specifically for the impending Intel Core i7 processor / Intel X58 Express Chipset, available in 3GB and 6GB kits.

The new memory modules are Optimized for the Core i7's triple channel mode, combining low voltage requirements, speed, and latency.

The advanced memory modules offer clock speeds up to 1600MHz at just 1.65V memory voltage."
                      • 8. Re: Don't wait for the Intel Core i7 CPU!!!
                        Level 1
                        want one!
                        (a wintel pc with i7 insides!)
                        when is 'it' out?

..and when will prices have settled back past early adopter peaks,
                        if that still happens (been out of pc upgrade loop for long years!).
                        • 9. Re: Don't wait for the Intel Core i7 CPU!!!
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          The first models are due out this quarter.
                          • 10. Re: Don't wait for the Intel Core i7 CPU!!!
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            "Corsair announced today that it is launching a full line of DDR3 performance memory products designed for Intel Core i7 processor.

Corsair will offer memory solutions supporting three different DDR3 memory speeds in triple memory packs: 1333MHz, 1600MHz and 1866MHz."
                            • 11. Re: Don't wait for the Intel Core i7 CPU!!!
                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                              "Patriot today announced the release of their Viper series Tri-Channel memory kits designed for the forthcoming Intel Core i7/Intel X58 Express Chipset.

The Viper series Tri-Channel kits will also include Intel's newest XMP settings for Core i7 processor based platforms. When enabled, XMP settings allow easy, overclocking on Intel's X58 Express chipsets."
                              • 12. Re: Don't wait for the Intel Core i7 CPU!!!
                                will 1 i7 be equivalent to 2 quad core processors?
                                • 13. Re: Don't wait for the Intel Core i7 CPU!!!
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                                  No. Roughly speaking and with the same clock speed you will see about the following:

Q9450 = 100
                                  i7-920 = 130
                                  E5430 (2x) = 175

Q9650 = 100
                                  i7-940 = 130
                                  E5472 (2x) = 175

but the waiting is for the Nehalem based Xeon, possibly coded E55xx.
                                  • 14. Re: Don't wait for the Intel Core i7 CPU!!!
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                                    Serious TLB error in the current stepping that may cause complete system hangs.

Look here: http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10707&Itemid=35
                                    • 15. Re: Don't wait for the Intel Core i7 CPU!!!
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                      "A rumor was going around today that the Intel Core i7 series of processors have a TLB Errata much like the first AMD Phenom processors did last year. Legit Reviews has contacted Intel about this nasty little rumor today and confirmed that it's nothing to get worked up about and was fixed via a BIOS update way before they were launched. All of our review numbers have the correct BIOS update installed, so there isn't a performance impact or anything like that with the Intel Core i7 series. Go back to Cyber Monday shopping!"