8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2008 10:38 AM by almarrob

Problem Exporting video with audio

I am exporting my 20 minute video onto a dvd using Encore. The video has several different music.mp3 and .wma files. The music was either ripped from the cd or downloaded from Amazon.com. The video output is great but the audio does not sound good when playing back on the TV. The sound is like hollow or has a mono tone even though export settings is in Dolby stereo. the bass is not very good and the lyrics are lower then the music when turned up. Any help with export settings would help.

The audio formats are different. Should I be resampling them in Soundbooth or something to make them all the same? I have tried various audio bits and settings and nothing seems to make things better.
        • 1. Re: Problem Exporting video with audio
          akribie Level 2
          You might find that converting all the audio to WAV at the same sample rate as the Premiere project will give better results in Premiere and downstream.

Hope you've adequately addressed copyright issues.
          • 2. Re: Problem Exporting video with audio
            Eddie Lotter Level 4
            >The video has several different music.mp3 and .wma files.

Starting with compressed audio and then compressing it again (Dolby) is not going to achieve good audio.

Use only high-quality audio sources.

Cheers
            Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
            - Over 300 frequently answered questions
            - Over 250 free tutorials
            - Maintained by editors like you
            Forum FAQ
            • 3. Re: Problem Exporting video with audio
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              I routinely use .mp3 files in the project and end up compressing to DD Stereo without any issues. I export out a .wav from Premiere and then use Encore to transcode that to DD. No problems, and sounds great on a properly calibrated home theater system.

Having said that, I do agree that if you own the CD, rip them again to .wav files and use them instead.
              • 4. Re: Problem Exporting video with audio
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                I strongly agree with Jim on re-ripping to WAV, where you have the CD. I do not know what format that Amazon offers, but if it's MP3, then the compression has been done, and you have lost most of the data already. You can never reclaim it, though you might alter it to sound better through your TV's Audio system.

Though Premiere can Import and Conform your 44.1KHz ripped WAVs, I always run these through Audition. Matter of fact, I always rip with Audition. There I do touchup work, then Export as 48KHz 16-bit WAV, for Import into Premiere.

I do not use, or know, Soundbooth, so I cannot suggest what you might wish to use there to improve the Audio. You might be able to add an EQ Effect on any MP3 to "improve" them a bit, but remember - the majority of the data is gone already. MP3's are OK from an iPod, or similar, but usually sound poor (pretty much what you described), when used in a good system.

Hunt
                • 5. Re: Problem Exporting video with audio
                  Level 1
                  Thank you everyone for your input. I will try and rip the songs into wav format and use those all with the same rates. Not sure what the DD sound is ("use Encore to transcode that to DD"), I just am needing it to sound as close to the cd quality as possible.

As for any copyright issues...if I am only making music videos and not re-selling or making any money there should be nothing to worry about correct? I did not look into anything legally because thats what I thought. Any thoughts about that would be helpful.

Does anyone know of a good site for other tutorials for CS3 products. The workshop provided with the master collection is nothing to write home about as it is just so basic.
                  • 6. Re: Problem Exporting video with audio
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Mlaurich,

DD is Dolby Digital, one of the main Audio formats for DVDs. Since I always do DD 5.1 Surround Sound, that is the only format that I Export from PP. The other is PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit. In PAL-land, MPEG Audio is an "optional" Audio format.

As for the DCMA issues, it was back in 1976 that I last had a media law class, and much has changed. Matter of fact, a big change came right after that block of classes. Someone else will have to weigh in on that - sorry.

Hunt
                    • 7. Re: Problem Exporting video with audio
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      >if I am only making music videos and not re-selling or making any money there should be nothing to worry about correct?

In the U.S. the criteria is "public performance". Doesn't matter whether or not you make any money. You can't use other artists' work to show to other people without the artists' permission (and in the case of music often the publisher's permission too). No one is likely to complain if you make a music video of your favorite song, and it's very likely no one would complain if your immediate friends and family watch it. But put it up on YouTube and yeah, you would be in violation of copyright law.
                      • 8. Re: Problem Exporting video with audio
                        Interestingly, on the copyright issue, I just received an email from YouTube concerning a student work with copyrighted(?) music that I posted about 2 years ago. It said that UMG (which i think is Universal Media Group) had seen and reviewed the video. They own the music that was used in the video. They said that the video could could continue to be posted based on their criteria-otherwise they would have removed it. This is interesting from two points a)the owners of the music are looking, with YouTubes cooperation, b) apparently they make a judgement as to whether they will allow it to continue. In this case it was a very moving anti-drug message set Ironically to the Mamas and Papas "California Dreamin'". My point is you need to be careful what you use and what for.