8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2008 5:21 PM by SFL46

Newbie: How do I get started

I have captured 15 minutes from a digital video and saved it on my HD, and now I would like to edit it.
      I have opened the project, and now it shows up in a small video window in the top left corner, and in the window beneath that is the name of the project. It also shows up in the big window to the right, called 'Source'.
      Now, as far as I know, I shall grab the line with the name of the project and pull it down on the time line.
      But nothing happens.
      So what do I do?
      Thanks ind advance for your help.
        • 1. Re: Newbie: How do I get started
          shooternz Level 6
          Did you get the Tutorial DVD with your CS3 Package?

Would be worth your time taking a look at it and the manual.

There are other tutorials on the ADOBE site (google / search).

For now...create a project that matches the video you captured (use a preset) then import your video clip into the project window and drag it onto the timeline or the source monitor.........
          • 2. Re: Newbie: How do I get started
            Level 1
            I quote from my frst message:
            I have opened the project, and now it shows up in a small video window in the top left corner, and in the window beneath that is the name of the project. It also shows up in the big window to the right, called 'Source'.
            Now, as far as I know, I shall grab the line with the name of the project and pull it down on the time line.
            But nothing happens.
            • 3. Re: Newbie: How do I get started
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              >So what do I do?

My best guess is user error. In such cases, I generally recommend learning how to do something before actually trying to do it. In this case, reading the manual all the way through would be a good idea.
              • 4. Re: Newbie: How do I get started
                Level 1
                This is really useful. I get two answers, one of them suggesting that I do what I have told that I have already done - and the other answer suggesting that I have done something wrong - which I already know perfectly well.
                • 5. Re: Newbie: How do I get started
                  Eddie Lotter Level 4

It's often useful to watch it being done in a video tutorial.

You will find links to many free tutorials in the PremiereProPedia that will quickly show you how things are done in Premiere Pro.

Cheers
                  Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                  - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                  - Over 250 free tutorials
                  - Maintained by editors like you
                  Forum FAQ
                  • 6. Re: Newbie: How do I get started
                    shooternz Level 6
                    >For now...create a project that matches the video you captured (use a preset) then import your video clip into the project window and drag it onto the timeline or the source monitor.........

I gave you a hint. Did you try it?

>I shall grab the line with the name of the project and pull it down on the time line.

I have no idea why you are dragging the name of the Project to the timeline. Double click it if it is a Sequence and it will open .
                    • 7. Re: Newbie: How do I get started
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Graverholt,

Depending on how you have your Workspace set up (probably default upon installation), there are four Panels (Adobes name for the windows that you see), that you need to be concerned with for now:
                      1.) The Monitor Panel (usually upper right)
                      2.) The Source Panel (also a monitor, but with differences, upper left and grouped with the Audio Mixer and the Effects Panel)
                      3.) The Project Panel (has a list of all of your Imported Assets and is on the left of the Timeline, IIRC from the default)
                      4.) The Timeline Panel (usually the bottom 3/4 from the edge of the Project Panel to the right-hand margin of your monitor)

Note: I haven't used the default Workspace in years, so my memory might be off. The Panels all have little names on them, or on their Tabs, so they are easy to figure out. You may have to ammend my placement to match your Workspace.

If you look at your Project Panel you will see the names of your Imported Assets with some data to the side and usually an icon for the media type. Dbl-click on the Clip and it will open in the Source Panel. There you can set the In & Out points of that Clip. This will then update in the Project Panel. When done, you have two choices: click in the Source Panel and drag to the Timeline and onto whichever Video Track you wish this Clip to be. If it has Audio, that will come along for the ride and go onto one of the Audio Tracks. Or, you can go to the Project Panel and click on the icon for that Clip. Drag that to the Timeline and to the Track you want. Same thing will happen to the Audio, if there is any.

Now, this is the beginning of using Premiere. I would follow all of Eddies links to the tutorials. They will show you how things are done in Premiere. Seeing is often the best way. The Premiere-pedia is a great resource. Do not skip over stuff in there relating to older versions. Things might not be identical to your version, but so close that you can figure it out.

Next (actually first thing that Id do) would be to read the beginning of the manual. It will get you started and also introduce you to the names and purposes of these Panels. As you read, do what it is talking about, so you can see if on your screen. Id suggest reading the entire manual, though some of it wont make sense. This will give you and idea of where info is located, for when you need to look something up later.

Good luck,

Hunt
                      • 8. Re: Newbie: How do I get started
                        SFL46 Level 3
                        As a newbie, when you registered Premiere, did you receive the Adobe "gift" e-mail for registering? If so, select the 30 day free session on Lynda.com They have several Premiere CS3 course--basic to advanced. they also have courses on Encore CS3.

If not, you can buy a month for $25.