13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2009 9:18 PM by Jim_Simon

HDV7 codec..?

(frustrated_one) Level 1
      Hi,

I have been sent interview footage from a client in Africa, and i need to add it to an edit i am creating in ppro CS3(win).
      He sent me a DVD with 4 formats, .avi .mov .mpeg2 and .mp4
      Premiere won't import any of these files...

I have done alot of searching and it seems he must have exported them on a mac. I read a thread here about using Gspot to determine the codec, which tells me i need the HDV7 codec installed, but a google brings nothing.

Does anyone have any idea how i can import these formats into premiere?
      also, Quicktime and Windows media player won't play these either.

Sorry to go over this again, but I can't find an answer..!

cheers!

Andrew-

Adobe CS3 production suite
      Windows XP x32
      Dual core 3.4Ghz
      3Gb RAM
        • 1. Re: HDV7 codec..?
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
          Did you check GSpot for each of the formats you received?

If not, which one(s) did you check? If so, what did GSpot report for each one?

What frame size are you using in your Premiere Pro project? What frame size is *your* source video and what frame size is the video that was sent to you?

It's probably best to contact the client in Africa and ask which program was used to export the footage, and what the exact export settings were.
          • 2. Re: HDV7 codec..?
            (frustrated_one) Level 1
            Hi Jeff,<br /><br />thanks for your relpy.<br />I checked GSpot for all the formats he sent.<br /><br />My project is HDV 1440*1080. <br />My source footage is all HDV 1440*1080, shot on a Sony Z1.<br /><br />His footage:<br />GSpot says(AVI):<br /><br />File Length Correct<br />AVI v1.0<br />Video: 1.79 GB (94.18%)<br />Audio: 113 MB (5.79%)<br />AVI Overhead: 724 KB (0.04%)<br /><br />codec: hdv7<br />name: <unknown><br />status: Codec(s) are NOT installed<br />frame rates: 25<br /><br />GSpot says (QT)<br />qt  : Apple QuickTime (.MOV/QT)<br />File Type: QuickTime (.MOV)<br />Mime Type: video/quicktime<br />Recommended Display Size: 1920 x 1080<br />Created:      2008 Oct 07   11:27:34<br />Modified:      2008 Oct 07   11:29:13<br /><br />Codec: hdv7<br />status: Codec status undetermined<br />frame rates: 25<br /><br />The funny thing is that the client sent me the DV tape last week, but i couldn't capture it because of some strange format issues. (i then took it to our largest conversion company who were just as baffled as me!<br /><br />I don't want to go straight back to our client and ask him to send another version just yet..!<br /><br />Does this sound like a staight forward Mac-PC incompatibility issue?<br /><br />cheers...
            • 3. Re: HDV7 codec..?
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              My guess is that this is a Quicktime FourCC format. (Damn Macs!)
              • 4. Re: HDV7 codec..?
                Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                PAL vs NTSC? what is your frame rate (project and source)? What is his frame size?
                • 5. Re: HDV7 codec..?
                  (frustrated_one) Level 1
                  Hi,

I don't really understand 'FourCC format'..?
                  I did a google search for HDV7 codec, and get nothing! weird.

Stanley; All material is PAL, project and source footage.
                  25fps, 1440*1080(1.33), his frame size and mine are all the same.

The funny thing is that on paper, it should import fine!
                  Im learning more about the PC v Mac thing everyday...!

still, no answer though.
                  • 6. Re: HDV7 codec..?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    >I don't really understand 'FourCC format'..?

This means Four Character Code. It's a part of the media file which identifies the compression scheme used to create it. Sort of an ID tag, if you will. It tells programs if it's MPEG, DV, Divx or other type of media file.

The problem seems to be that Mac users are a relatively small percentage of worldwide computer users, so those who do choose to go the rebel route often create compatibility issues when they interact with us normal PC users.
                    • 7. Re: HDV7 codec..?
                      Level 1
                      Jim, although Mac users are a small percentage of the worldwide computer users they make up a much higher percentage of the film/video production community. Get used to it becuase it is only becoming more pervasive. It is not a "rebel route"--just sometimes a better route. I don't really understand why, because you chose PC, it is the superior format and all problems extend from Mac. I am proficient at both and, quite frankly they both have their good points and bad points. With all due respect, try not to be such a hater.
                      • 8. Re: HDV7 codec..?
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        Too late. I'm pretty set against Macs at this point.

My opinions on them aside, the issue in this case does appear to be Mac related, which was the main point of post 6.
                        • 9. Re: HDV7 codec..?
                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                          As others have noted, I suspect a Mac/PC incompatibility. Not only are the files encoded with a codec that unavailable on your PC, it may well be a codec that is unavailable on *any* PC (IOW, a Mac-only codec).

However, I'm surprised that the mpeg2 files didn't work. That would be my first choice for creating HDV files. Do you have a system-level mpeg decoder? If you didn't explicitly install one, then installing a software DVD player like WinDVD or PowerDVD will accomplish the same thing.

At this point, you probably have to ask the client to send you files using a codec that you have. He/She needs to send you PC-friendly Quicktime .mov files, or PC-friendly .avi files.

-Jeff
                          • 10. Re: HDV7 codec..?
                            Colin Brougham Level 6
                            I don't know this for sure, but I wonder if the "hdv7" is not the FourCC for either AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) or ProRes 422. For the former, I believe you're out of luck--and up until recently, you'd be out of luck for the latter, as well. While Apple still hasn't seen fit to release a DVCPROHD decoder for QuickTime on Windows, they *did* release a Windows QT decoder for ProRes 422 (gasps from the audience). You can download the Windows decoder right here.

No promises... but it's worth a shot...
                            • 11. Re: HDV7 codec..?
                              (frustrated_one) Level 1
                              Thanks for all your suggestions...

The mpeg file he sent me was standard def (720*576), so not ideal.
                              **i have actually upscaled the SD image to fit the HDV project for the meantime.** I know, it sounds like a stupid way to do it, but it doesn't look all that bad, honestly!

I'll take it to my mate who's under the apple spell, and see if he can help me out.

Colin; I'll have a look at that decoder in a minute or two... thanks!
                              • 12. Re: HDV7 codec..?
                                dan_aka_jack Level 1

Hi folks,

Today I had the task of importing an FCP HDV project into PPro CS4.0.1.  The XML import seemed to work OK but PPro couldn't read the .mov rushes files.  A bit of digging revealed that the .mov files used the "hdv7" codec (which I think is called "HDV 1080p25" in Quicktime).  I'm 99% sure that "hdv7" is the Canon flavor of HDV (and is MPEG2).  After lots of head scratching and trial and error, I finally got some of the files into PPro (but not all the files would convert, wierdly).  The overall strategy is to re-wrap the MOV files as AVI files and then to install an MPEG2 codec which can decompress hdv7.

First, re-wrap the .mov files as .avi files using MediaCoder (a free app).  Go to the "video" tab, make sure video is enabled and select the "copy stream" check box.  It's probably best to configure the "audio" tab to convert the audio to "waveform".  Then go to the "container" tab and select "AVI" and disable the multiplexer.  Select your output folder at the top of the window and then click "start transcode".

But, PPro still can't import these AVI files properly.

So download and install FFDSHOW (free) and make sure that FFDSHOW is configured to take over the decompression of MPEG2 files.  Restart PPro and PPro should now use FFDSHOW to decompress MPEG2 files.

But, like I say, this workflow hasn't worked entirely for me.  But it's a start.

• 13. Re: HDV7 codec..?
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                  Then go to the "container" tab and select "AVI"

Try the .m2t extension, which I believe is the norm for HDV captured through Premiere.