11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2009 8:17 AM by Harm Millaard

CS4 Hi Definition

Hi,

I lost the will to live trying to figure out if CS3 actuallt imports true hi definition video - I came to the conclusion it doesn't (or at least, any output would be in Standard definition) which is a shame as it seriously reduced the number of Hi def cameras I could buy! Does anyone know if CS4 will support (natively) all HD formats, and if this will open up the HD Camera market to the "pro-sumer" market - i.e. those without the 2000 - but still around the £600 mark?
        • 1. Re: CS4 Hi Definition
          Level 1
          >or at least, any output would be in Standard definition

You can export to Blue Ray.
          • 2. Re: CS4 Hi Definition
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            CS4 support most any HD camera in the sub-$10,000 range, but so does CS3. The only thing CS4 really adds to the mix is AVCHD.
            • 3. Re: CS4 Hi Definition
              Curt Wrigley Level 4
              What output do you want it to have?
              • 4. Re: CS4 Hi Definition
                Level 1
                Hi, thanks fo rthe replies. Wasnt aware that I could actually import HD into CS3. I was aware that CS3 works with Blu Ray, but wouldnt the Blu Ray just play Standard Definition?

In terms of output - I want it to output in High Definition (say 1080) - as far as I see it at the moment with CS3, you can only output in standard definition format - or have I missed something?

it has been a while since I last looked at this (and gave up), but I udnerstood it to be that CS3 can input (some ) HDV, but not AVCHD, but that any input of a HD signal had to be scaled down in terms of export into a standard definition.

For example. At the time, i was looking at getting a Sony HDR HC3E which is capable of recording at 1080p. As I understood it, I could get the video into CS3, but when outputting it, it would be in standard definition. i also understood that, for certain HD formats, that these had to be scaled down to Standard definition BEFORE you could import it into CS3.

Please correct me if I am wrong - if i can input a video which is recorded at 1080p, and create a Blue Ray which is also 1080p using the above camera, I have obviously taken a wrong route somewhere in my quest for information!!!
                • 5. Re: CS4 Hi Definition
                  Phil Griffith Level 2
                  > I was aware that CS3 works with Blu Ray, but wouldnt the Blu Ray just play Standard Definition?

just what do you think blue ray is?
                  • 6. Re: CS4 Hi Definition
                    (frustrated_one)
                    Hi Mike,

We currently have one of the same Sony HDR cams, and i really don't like it!
                    The whole AVCHD thing throws CS3 off. You can get a plugin for ppro(not cheap), from Mainconcept which will support AVCHD, but we get lots of problems with audio/video sync. CS4 does seem to support it, but i feel very wary about it all! you can get a similar HDV sony camera that records onto miniDV tape which is far more stable and is still the most widley used format.

Just to give you a straight answer; CS3 works very well with HD source footage, and can export to either blu-ray(HD), DVD(SD), uncompressed HD avi or HD quicktime files, among others...
                    Ive been using CS3 with HD footage without too much problems (see my other post!), sice its release. :-)

andrew-
                    • 7. Re: CS4 Hi Definition
                      Level 1
                      Andrew - thanks!! Great answer. So, in a nutshell, as long as the source formet is in a supported HD format (obviously), CS3 CAN export in an HD format. So, the million $ question, what cam are you using / or what cams will work properly (and natively, without the need for Mainconcept, which I had also looked into) to get an HD source format which works well in CS3?

Phil, sorry, I think you missed the point, I know what blu ray is, but if you can't burn HD files onto it (without spending a large amount of money on a camera), there would be little point in burning a Standard definition video onto it.

All your replies are much appreciated!
                      • 8. Re: CS4 Hi Definition
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        HDV and P2 cameras currently work with CS3. AVCHD & RED cameras will be added to that list for CS4.
                        • 9. Re: CS4 Hi Definition
                          Curt Wrigley Level 4
                          > HDV and P2 cameras currently work with CS3. AVCHD & RED cameras will be added to that list for CS4.

And pretty much any other cam that can be captured as HD with appropriate capture cards.

Curt
                          • 10. Re: CS4 Hi Definition
                            im using a sony hdv1000u camcorder. I recorded on a minidvhd tape and need to import it on adobe premiere pro cs4. What do i pick to import the video over to get the hd video to the pc.
                            • 11. Re: CS4 Hi Definition
                              Harm Millaard Level 7
                              Start reading about capturing. In general use the setting that is identical to the format you shot in.