27 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2008 10:51 AM by (John_Orban)

How do you import off of a DVD???

If you already have a DVD, how do you import this into Premire CS3? We have a dozen football games that were recorded on a DVD camcorder and immediately put into the share station to finalize. We want to make a skills video for college coaches from these.
        • 1. Re: How do you import off of a DVD???
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Based on reading a LOT of problem reports, importing files from a DVD or hard drive camcorder or other MPEG device (including digital STILL cameras that create MJPEG files) or trying to edit divx, or Ripping DVD files rarely results in success in Premiere... do not be fooled by movie industry advertising into thinking that "DVD Quality Video" is suitable for EDITING... it is not... a DVD is designed to be for PLAYBACK only... and that includes trying to edit a Standard Def MPEG or VOB file!

You should also use WAV sound files, not the compressed MP3 format

The only SD (Standard Def) files that Premiere really likes are DV AVI type 2 (be sure you have type 2 and not DV AVI type 1 files)

HD (High Definition) files are a completely different issue... I don't use HD, so can't say anything about editing those files

Go to my notes page http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

Click the internal link for editing compressed files... read, there are some ideas & links there, including some links to other programs that have been mentioned in the Premiere forum as being better suited to editing MPG files... if you want to edit a divx file, start at http://www.divx.com/

If you only have DVD type files, you should convert to DV AVI type 2 or use different software... go to the VideoHelp link in my notes and look for a program to convert... but do be aware that converting from a HIGHLY compressed viewing format back to an editing format is going to cause a drop in quality

PS - To work with AC3 sound files in Premiere CS3, copy the ad2ac3dec.dll file from the Encore CS3 directory into the Premiere directory
          • 2. Re: How do you import off of a DVD???
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            Copy to hard disk rename vob to .mpg and import into Premiere.
            I have no trouble playing or editing mpeg what so ever.
            Just try it, you can always convert.
            • 3. Re: How do you import off of a DVD???
              Level 1
              When I do what Ann has suggested, I still have to open the resulting .mpg video in Adobe Audition, save the audio as a wav file then import it into PPro.
              • 4. Re: How do you import off of a DVD???
                Dan Isaacs Level 2
                Try this:

Download and install DGIndex:
                http://neuron2.net/dgmpgdec/dgmpgdec.html

1.) Open your .VOB files via "File/Open"
                2.) Choose "Audio/Output Method/Decode AC3 track to WAV"
                3.) Choose "File/Save Project and Demux Video"
                4.) Open the resulting .m2v + .wav files in PPro
                • 5. Re: How do you import off of a DVD???
                  Level 1
                  Why don't you just do it the easy way and recapture the footage. Hook a DVD player to the "in" of your mini DV camera and capture through firewire as usual. Very simple.
                  • 6. Re: How do you import off of a DVD???
                    Alas, not all camera's have video-in.
                    • 7. Re: How do you import off of a DVD???
                      Dan Isaacs Level 2
                      > Hook a DVD player to the "in" of your mini DV camera and capture through firewire as usual. Very simple.

Simple and crappy and slow. In addition to the unnecessary D->A->D conversion (the quality of which will vary greatly depending on your DVD player, cables, and DV camera) and the fact that "real-time" (+ the setup time of cabling and hitting the play and recond buttons and all that) is the best performance you'll ever achieve ... there is the difference in chroma subsampling between the two formats:

1.) NTSC DV uses 4:1:1 subsampling, while DVD is 4:2:0. To look at this another way, NTSC DV has oblong 4x1 blocks of color while DVD uses 2x2 squares. By converting from one to the other, you will end up with 4x2 blocks -- a serious degradation of the color information.

2.) PAL DV, like DVD, uses 4:2:0 chroma -- but it sampled differently. I'm not exactly certain of what would occur during an analog transfer, but it is likely that the vertical color resolution would be further degraded. This is certainly true (or truer) when the DVD source is Upper Field First (DV being "lower", always). This would result in 2x4 chroma blocks.

Also, should the alignment of the video in the analog signal be slightly shifted (very likely) the resulting chroma information can be further screwed up.

DV is really not the nicest compression in the world and it should be avoided whenever possible -- especially for re-compression of another digital format.

When dealing with digital formats (whether it's audio, video or photos) it is always best to work with the original material and to sacrifice quality (when it must be sacrificed) at the latest possible stage.
                      • 8. Re: How do you import off of a DVD???
                        Level 1
                        >especially for re-compression of another digital format.

You are not re-compressing in this example. you are capturing exactly what is there.

The files you are importing are already compressed. You will not get anything back by using those files.
                        • 9. Re: How do you import off of a DVD???
                          The recompression starts when you want to convert this material back to dvd.
                          Best is to use a smart render like mainconcept.
                          • 10. Re: How do you import off of a DVD???
                            Level 1
                            >The recompression comes in when you want to convert this material back to dvd.

They are already compressed to begin with. He will not gain anything extra by editing those files.
                            • 11. Re: How do you import off of a DVD???
                              When adding titles, transitions or whatever, it recompresses when making into a dvd again.
                              • 12. Re: How do you import off of a DVD???
                                Dan Isaacs Level 2
                                > You are not re-compressing in this example. you are capturing exactly what is there.

You certainly are: DV is not uncompressed or anything like it.

> When adding titles, transitions or whatever, it recompresses when making into a dvd again.

Ann is correct: The important distinction is that recompression is done at the latest possible stage. In any case, DV re-compression would be avoided which is always a good thing.
                                • 13. Re: How do you import off of a DVD???
                                  Dan: off topic: when writing timeline back to tape (SD or HDV), does it compress?
                                  • 14. Re: How do you import off of a DVD???
                                    Level 1
                                    >You certainly are

So...what your saying is that when you capture from a mini DV tape that has already been compressed (to tape) is compressed again on capture? I don't think that is how it works. You capture the exact same information from tape to hard drive without compression.

The example of mine was not a compression capture it is a pass through.
                                    • 15. Re: How do you import off of a DVD???
                                      Dan Isaacs Level 2
                                      > So...what your saying is that when you capture from a mini DV tape that has already been compressed (to tape) is compressed again on capture?

No. That's not true and not what I intended to say.

> The example of mine was not a compression capture it is a pass through

You can't pass an analog signal though firewire. If it's being converted from analog to DV, then camera/deck/converter is compressing it.

Likewise, even if your DVD player has a firewire output, it is not dumping a native format to the DV deck. It still must be converted and recompressed. While this is certainly preferably to analog capture (for those with capable equipment) it is still lossy and unnecessary in most cases.
                                      • 16. Re: How do you import off of a DVD???
                                        Dan Isaacs Level 2
                                        > when writing timeline back to tape (SD or HDV), does it compress?

Surely.

With DV, it avoids recompression of already-DV material to which no effects, etc. have been applied but everything else needs to be compressed. I'm pretty sure that's how it works, but I don't use "Export to Tape" much these days.

With HDV, I'm pretty sure it recompresses everything regardless. I hear that the MainConcept MPEG2 Pro plugin can avoid this for unaltered footage, but I don't know.

Personally, I would see no reason to ever write HDV back to tape... unless you need to provide an HDV master to someone, which I've never had to do.
                                        • 17. Re: How do you import off of a DVD???
                                          Thanks Dan. I thought so, but just needed some assurance.
                                          • 18. Re: How do you import off of a DVD???
                                            jefbak Level 1
                                            I find it really easy to use mpeg streamclip (open source) for this purpose for not commerical DVD video recapture. I think it works on pc and mac and is mostly a drag and drop affair unless you want to get all technical. I find it hard to beat for this kind of work.

BTW, now that PPro runs on both platforms, if anyone knows of more plugins/apps/frameservers that run on both please list them. thanks.
                                            • 19. Re: How do you import off of a DVD???
                                              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                              >I find it really easy to use mpeg streamclip (open source) for this purpose for not commercial DVD video recapture.

Unfortunately, mpeg streamclip requires the QT MPEG plug-in to convert. On a Mac, the user probably already has this installed. On a PC, it is a required purchase.
                                              • 20. Re: How do you import off of a DVD???
                                                Level 1
                                                How's that for answering your question, kenny corona? Sometimes when you touch off a firestorm in this forum you don't get your question answered. Premiere Pro will not import video from an existing DVD. Premiere Elements does it quite easily. If I were you I would spring the $70.00 for Elements and it will solve your problem. If you have to have it in Pro, export the DVD footage from Elements as AVI's and import them into Pro. You will still not have better than DVD quality but you will be able to edit the footage and import it however you would like. It is still more than usable.
                                                • 21. Re: How do you import off of a DVD???
                                                  Dan Isaacs Level 2
                                                  > Premiere Pro will not import video from an existing DVD

Not as VOBs but, in my experience, it handles elementary .m2v streams fairly well. Hence my demux suggestion, which does directly answer Kenny's question of "If you already have a DVD, how do you import this into Premire CS3?".
                                                  • 22. Re: How do you import off of a DVD???
                                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                    >it handles elementary .m2v streams fairly well.

I've had some issues myself, so a conversion to DV first is at least something good to know about.
                                                    • 23. Re: How do you import off of a DVD???
                                                      Robert: My 1st post also answered Kenny's question.
                                                      But i do not think Kenny is listening.
                                                      • 24. Re: How do you import off of a DVD???
                                                        jefbak Level 1
                                                        Your right the quicktime mpeg plugin is like $20 so I have to take back the totally free part. Darn, so close!
                                                        • 25. Re: How do you import off of a DVD???
                                                          Ruud Blauw Level 1
                                                          From MPEG Streamclip video converter for Windows XP/Vista :

KL QuickTime Alternative is a free unofficial distribution of QuickTime. It has a quite smaller installer (less than 15 MB) and includes MPEG-2 decoding in the "Additional plugins". When you install it, be sure to enable the checkbox "Additional plugins", otherwise the MPEG-2 decoder will not be installed. You can choose either the full or the lite version.

- KL QuickTime Alternative 1.81
                                                          (http://www.filehippo.com/download_quicktime_alternative/?2615)

THE LATEST VERSION OF QUICKTIME ALTERNATIVE IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH MPEG STREAMCLIP; PLEASE DOWNLOAD QUICKTIME ALTERNATIVE 1.81 USING THE ABOVE LINK.
                                                          • 26. Re: How do you import off of a DVD???
                                                            jefbak Level 1
                                                            Nice Addition Ruud, this turned in to a pretty useful thread.
                                                            • 27. Re: How do you import off of a DVD???
                                                              I have been wrestling with this issue for a while now, since moving to Premier from SONY Vegas (which, as pointed out, imports VOB files just fine).

Get this program (it's free, believe it or not):

http://www.any-video-converter.com

It will convert VOB files to usable mpeg2 files (what I learned after much trial and error). If you try to convert directly to AVI, you lose the video. If you convert to .mov, you lose the audio...or vice versa. But converting to mpeg2 video seems to work since, as I understand it, that's what .VOB files are in the first place.

Rather good quality as well. I found by renaming .vob to .mpg, the video was kind of crappy at times.

Anyhow, that's what I found out.

John