3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2008 7:20 PM by Dan Isaacs

need help with 60fps to 30fps conversion

Hey Everyone,

I recorded 60fps video of my computer screen with fraps, and saved all clips in high quality divx to save space. I created a sequence I want to export, with 840x524 (half my desktop resolution) and 30fps progressive video. The problem is when I try to export video it blends frames instead of dropping every other frame, resulting in a blurry video which otherwise would look crisp. I'm hoping there's a setting I'm missing which can have premier drop every other frame, without interlacing. The final video is for the web so I want this progressive.

At 60fps export, the time-stretched clips do have blending, but that's better than the rest of the sequence being like this.

If not, my workaround is exporting at 60fps and then converting to 30 with virtualdub, which I don't think will have this problem. Thanks!
        • 1. Re: need help with 60fps to 30fps conversion
          Dan Isaacs Level 2
          Right-click on the clip(s) in question and turn off Frame Blending.
          • 2. Re: need help with 60fps to 30fps conversion
            Level 1
            Thanks so much Dan! Figured out that "B" selects that menu item which helped for the 50+ clips I had ;)

EDIT: Well as it turns out, it got rid of the blending but the videos are still not encoding properly in divx, resulting in jitteriness. I need a bigger hard drive so I can save in raw format and encode with a different program now...
            • 3. Re: need help with 60fps to 30fps conversion
              Dan Isaacs Level 2
              > but the videos are still not encoding properly in divx, resulting in jitteriness

Yes, I've heard Premiere does not do a very nice job with DivX.

Have you tried the DebugMode FrameServer plugin for Premiere? This will allow you to serve the uncompressed video from Premiere to any other VFW (video for windows) program, such as VirtualDub.

You need to be careful about the Premiere plugin directory when installing the plugin: it won't default to the right place. Make sure after you install it that you can find the file "cm-dfscPremiereOut.prm" located in "\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\Plug-ins\en_US" (or similar path, for non-US systems). If not, uninstall it and try installing again.

Once it's installed, export your movie:

1.) On the "General" tab, set File Type to DebugMode FrameServer
              2.) Set the other settings (width, height, framerate, etc.) to match your project
              3.) Click OK, and save the file as "frameserver.avi"
              4.) Choose RGB32 and check the "Write Audio as PCM samples" checkbox
              5.) Open frameserver.avi in VirtualDub and encode to DivX

Perfect quality... no need for a giant intermediary .AVI :)