6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2008 5:47 AM by Jim_Simon

No audio with AVI import

I am having trouble importing AVI clips to CS3. Sound plays fine on the video outside of premier, but the audio track does not show up when I drag the file clip in.

I have tried converting the video format (before import) using different compressions, but not having any luck.

Any thoughts I why this is happening, and what I can do to resolve it.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: No audio with AVI import
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Normally this happens when people try editing video that was not meant to be edited.

If you can convert externally, convert your clips to DV video, which is what Premiere generally works best with.
          • 2. Re: No audio with AVI import
            Dan Isaacs Level 2
            > If you can convert externally, convert your clips to DV video, which is what Premiere generally works best with.

Hmmm. The video portion of the AVI file may well be DV compressed for all we know. The OP did say that he has tried various compressors with no luck.

I will correct Jim's statement so that it is more relevant to the particular issue in question:

...convert the audio to a format such as uncompressed PCM audio (or uncompressed .WAV file), which is what Premiere generally works best with.

If you can open your AVI in VirtualDub, go to the Audio menu and select "Full Processing". The audio should be decompressed when it is written to a new AVI file. To avoid accidental/unncessary recompression of the video, choose "Direct Stream Copy" from the Video menu.

It is true, however, that Premiere is not crazy about temporally compressed video. If your video is DivX or something like that, you may be wise to compress it differently. DV is a good choice for speedy editing... Lagarith works well enough if lossless quality better for suits your needs.
            • 3. Re: No audio with AVI import
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              As far as I know, DV compression can only include PCM audio.
              • 4. Re: No audio with AVI import
                Dan Isaacs Level 2
                You can mux just about any audio format with any video compressor.
                • 5. Re: No audio with AVI import
                  Level 1
                  Thanks, running the audio through on that setting allowed the import.
                  • 6. Re: No audio with AVI import
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    Well how about that. You can indeed have other kinds of audio in a "DV" file.