6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2008 8:54 PM by the_wine_snob

Using a PDF

A client has sent me a PDF (Adobe Acrobat) file to use in a video. What should I convert it to and at what resolution to maintain highest quality? Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Using a PDF
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I like TIFF for such things.
          • 2. Re: Using a PDF
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            W,

You might want to Open the PDF in Photoshop, just to make sure that there are no Layers, that you might need separate from the
            i Background.
            If not, then I agree with Jim to choose TIFF. Normally, my graphic images are in/from PS, so I choose PSD out of habit, even if the image will be Flattened for use in PP.

Hunt
            • 3. Re: Using a PDF
              Dan Isaacs Level 2
              What does the client want to show in this PDF? What I often do is rasterize it at high-resolution and bring it into AE for animation (zooming, pans, etc.)

The animation is more interesting and it allows you to focus on smaller text within the document that would otherwise be illegible.

You could set up an AE comp at the same dimensions as your PPro project, then either export as an AVI from AE ... or import to Premiere via DL.
              • 4. Re: Using a PDF
                Level 1
                The PDF is mostly text.

Which program do you use to rasterize the PDF? I'm guessing Photoshop. (Sorry to sound so ignorant.)

Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions.
                • 5. Re: Using a PDF
                  Dan Isaacs Level 2
                  > I'm guessing Photoshop.

Correct. I think you can even bring it into AE directly, but I prefer to "Photoshop" it first... Split it into layers as I see fit, perhaps.

Also, you may want to adjust the levels a little: CMYK black is (usually) not as black as RGB 0,0,0 -- so raising the low end of the input level is often good idea.
                  • 6. Re: Using a PDF
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Along Dan's lines, if the file IS CMYK, you will want to change the Mode in Photoshop to RGB for use in your NLE. As you probably know, CMYK is designed for mechanical printing. An NLE deals in variations of RGB and wants that file format.

Hunt