3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2008 6:53 AM by Jim_Simon

Near lossless HDV export?

Does CS3 have settings for near lossless HDV export - for those segments of the timeline where the video is unchanged? For example, let's say I have four HDV mpeg2 clips. The first two are clips that butt up against each other: no transitions, no effects. Clip 2 cross-dissolves into clip 3. Clip 4 has effects. In near lossless, I would imagine that for clips 1 and 2, CS3 would copy the frames (GOPs?) with no data change (instead of rerendering) up until the first dissolve. At the beginning of the dissolve CS3 would render and then, after the dissolve, go back to laying down an exact copy of the part of the mpeg on the timeline that was unchanged. For clip 4, CS3 would have to completely rerender.

Is this a nutty question? Or is there a setting to tell CS3: just copy the mpeg2 HDV video exactly - when possible?

Thanks in advance!
        • 1. Re: Near lossless HDV export?
          Dan Isaacs Level 2
          I think you need the MainConcept MPEG Pro plugin for that.
          • 2. Re: Near lossless HDV export?
            Level 1
            The question is not nutty but uninformed. Datawise there is no such thing as a single frame in native HDV. You should know that HDV is a compressed format which combines information over multiple frames. In other words a group of frames are compressed together and the processor decompresses them into separate frames when you watch the video. However, when you render, the processor re-combines multiple frames. Therefore you can not render on the frame.

The only way to render on the frame is to use a codec which decompresses the native formet once and for all into single frames. From there on you can go down many generations with minimum loss.

Use the award winning Cineform codec, either Aspect or Prospect (Aspect works perfectly for me).
            • 3. Re: Near lossless HDV export?
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              HDV actually does have single frames. In the Canon and Sony 1080i varieties, there are two I-frames per second. In the JVC 720p cameras, there is an I-frame for every 6 frames.

An I-frame is an independently recorded frame that does not rely on any other frames for it's data.