8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2008 8:04 AM by Harm Millaard

panning clip audio?

sminnis
      This is stumping me but good...How do you pan the mono audio within a clip, not using the track mixer but within the clip itself? This is super simple in Avid and FCP, so I'm sure I must be missing something basic, but I just can see it. Thanks,

Stu
        • 1. Re: panning clip audio?
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          If it is super simple, can you explain what you mean by panning a mono track or clip? Panning AFAIK is left to right or vice versa, which is impossible with mono.
          • 2. Re: panning clip audio?
            sminnis Level 1
            Sorry, unclear. What I mean is that I have mono clips in a mono track in a timeline with a stereo master mix. I want to be able to control the L/R placement of individual mono clips within the stereo mix to give them some spatial perspective. I have done this many times within other editing platforms; is there a way to do it in Premiere Pro?
            • 3. Re: panning clip audio?
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              Convert the mono tracks to stereo and then do the panning. If necessary use fill left or fill right.
              • 4. Re: panning clip audio?
                sminnis Level 1
                I'm not sure how to rephrase this so it's clear, but I don't think you're understanding what I mean. I don't want to pan an entire track. I want to set different L/R balance positions for different clips in the same track. And I want to do it so that the panning changes are instantaneous on the cut points, not gradual with even very quick automation changes.

This capability isn't strange or unusual. It is a very simple thing to do in Avid, FCP, Pro Tools, and Logic. I'm relatively new to Premiere, so I assume it's possible here as well; I just can't figure out how to do it.
                • 5. Re: panning clip audio?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  It's very simple with stereo tracks. Just use the balance effect. I've never tried that with mono clips, just cause I don't use any. May be worth a shot, though.
                  • 6. Re: panning clip audio?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Stu,

I do this all of the time in the Audio Mixer. The one difference is that I am outputting to DD 5.1 SS (Master Mix set to 5.1). There, I can locate the mono Audio anywhere that I want. Have not tried with a stereo Master, but will, just to see how I'd do it there. In my case, I'm usually locating mono SFX in my sound field.

Will get back after I set up a Stereo Master Project. Gotta' be simple, he says, never having done this...

Hunt

[Edit] I had to create a mono SFX, as all on my laptop happened to be stereo, but in the Audio Mixer, I could pan to full left, or right, using the "knob" just below the Sends drop-down. It worked perfectly. If your Audio Mixer is not open and tabbed to a Panel, go to Windows>Audio Mixer and open it. Choose your proper track and just adjust the pan "knob" to suit. Good luck. Hope I'm not missing something, related to what you need to do.
                    • 7. Re: panning clip audio?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      That technique works at the track level Bill. He may not want all clips in the same track to be panned the same way, which is why I suggested the Balance effect. (I just don't know if that idea is viable for mono clips.)
                      • 8. Re: panning clip audio?
                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                        Look up "Use a mono clip as stereo" in the help file and all your questions are answered if you combine it with the answer in # 3