6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2008 11:46 AM by the_wine_snob

Rolling titles in Premiere Pro CS3

After many years on Premiere 6.5, I've migrated to Premiere Pro CS3. My first attempt to create a rolling title has been frustrating.

I tried importing an old .ptl rolling title. CS3 prompted for, and I approved, updating it. When I opened it, I could not scroll beyond what shows at the top, despite setting the Rolling Title option.

No biggee, create a new rolling title. Now I can scroll successfully. But in 6.5, I can highlight specific areas and specify a different font size. In CS3, any attempt to change the size of any text changes the size of all text.

Worst of all (and this is a deal-breaker if someone can't tell me what to do), the 6.5 text box handles define a mask area for the scroll. Text outside the top and bottom limits does not appear on screen. In CS3 the text box handles scroll along with the text, so I cannot limit the vertical display area.

I did RTFM, hardcopy, F1 help and web-based. None of this is covered anywhere. I can't believe the designers didn't think of these issues, if only for compatibility with 6.5. So it must be me. Any tips gratefully accepted.
        • 1. Re: Rolling titles in Premiere Pro CS3
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          CS3 does allow different font sizes within a title. Not sure why it's not working for you.

To create the same masking, use the Crop effect.
          • 2. Re: Rolling titles in Premiere Pro CS3
            Eddie Lotter Level 4

You will also find links to many free tutorials in the PremiereProPedia that will quickly show you how things are done in Premiere Pro.

Cheers
            Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
            - Over 300 frequently answered questions
            - Over 250 free tutorials
            - Maintained by editors like you
            Forum FAQ
            • 3. Re: Rolling titles in Premiere Pro CS3
              Level 1
              My thanks to both Jim and Eddie for their lightning response.

For Jim: I tried again to resize portions of text. This time it worked, as you thought. I checked a little further and found that when I tried to set a font size for a newline with no text in it (specifically, 24 pt. vertical space between 36 pt. text entries), it resized the entire body of text. Solution: Add blanks in the line, then resize that. I consider this a bug, but the workaround is straightforward.

The "Crop effect" took a little longer. In Premiere Pro Help, the "Crop effect" entry takes you to a discussion about migrating between After Effects and Premiere Pro, with nothing at all about cropping. But a little more digging turned up "Crop" within the Transform effect. That does exactly what I need. Though why I should need an external effect to do what the Titler ought to (and does, in 6.5) handle internally -- only the CS3 design team knows. It's certainly anything but intuitive.

For Eddie: The bulk of the video tutorials are for Premier Pro 2.0. Those are close enough to CS3, but the Rolling Title tutorial simply assumed (and accepted, by example) that text had to scroll from the true bottom of the screen. It was an interesting tutorial, but useless for my problem.

Thanks again guys. I owe you.
              • 4. Re: Rolling titles in Premiere Pro CS3
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Larry,

You font change happened because the Text Box was selected. If you work within that "box" with the Type Tool (or Select type with the Type Tool) the change will apply to text about to be typed, or in the case of the latter, to the highlighted text. I get aggrevated when I forget to de-select the Text Box and make a change, but the aggrevation is directed at the "operator" - me, 'cause I messed up. Ctrl-z is a wonderful feature, especially with me at the wheel.

Hunt
                • 5. Re: Rolling titles in Premiere Pro CS3
                  Level 1
                  Bill,

Nice try, but no go. I definitely was in the Type Tool with a properly-placed blinking vertical cursor.

As I wrote in my reply last night, I found that the en-masse change only occurred when the line with the cursor had no text (other than the newline). When there is text, even blank text, the font size change is localized to selected text. That's my workaround.

Thanks,
                  -Larry-
                  • 6. Re: Rolling titles in Premiere Pro CS3
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Larry,

I stand corrected. You are right. I guess that when I do it "correctly," I have my text highlighted, THEN change the font.

Sorry about the bad steer.

Hunt