4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2008 9:32 PM by Stan Jones

Can you turn Frame Blend off by default?

Webshark2000 Level 1
      I'd like to turn Frame Blend off by default. In most cases it seems to only blur the image and cause it to lose its sharpness. Is there a way to do this so I don't have to turn it off for every individual clip?

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Can you turn Frame Blend off by default?
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          No, but frame blending is only applied to clips with speed adjustments. It makes no difference on normal speed clips.
          • 2. Re: Can you turn Frame Blend off by default?
            Webshark2000 Level 1
            That's not the way it's been working for me. It's been automatically applied to every clip I put on the timeline. Or are you saying that even if it's check-marked on clips that have no speed adjustment it won't do anything to them?
            • 3. Re: Can you turn Frame Blend off by default?
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
              >are you saying that even if it's check-marked on clips that have no speed adjustment it won't do anything to them?

That's what he's saying. And that's what actually happens.
              • 4. Re: Can you turn Frame Blend off by default?
                Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                > frame blending is only applied to clips with speed adjustments. It makes no difference on normal speed clips...

This has been discussed before, and I still think it is misleading. "Speed adjustment" suggests that as long as the clip speed is 100%, frame blending has no effect. Help (CS3 and CS4 appear to be the same), says, "Motion in a clip may appear jerky when you change the speed of a clip, or output to a different frame rate. ...."

The "output to a different frame rate" appears clear, but it is not as clear cut as it appears. (Shaun, the relevance for you is if your clips/project/export are not exactly the same frame rates.) The forum links no longer work to the 2007 discussion in which I posted examples of frame blending problems in which the frame rate was the same (24fps) throughout. My examples (PPro2, but I don't think it matters) are still on my site:

http://www.videoandcomputer.com/test/test072307.htm

Other than my results, one factor that influenced my thinking was an even earlier thread that said that adobe support instructed a user working with a 24fps project (with 100% speed clips) to deselect frame blend and this helped. I wondered if frame blending had a different effect on non-DV frame rates.

A post by Don Andrews seemed to me to clarify. "If you are literally exporting from AE at 24fps (and not 23.97) then that could trigger the frame blend in Premiere. The 24fps preset in Premiere is really 23.97. ... Right now, I'm bringing 29.97 files into an HD 60fps project, which is really 59.94. ... Because it has to convert (double) the frames, it automatically puts on frame blend. This doesn't look right for my animation, so I have to manually turn off frame blending on every clip."

It doesn't "put it on"; as noted above, it is on by default. But it does have an effect, even though clip speed is 100%. And even though the nominal frame rate is the same in source, project, and export, there may be different actual frame rates, that may create problems.

My point is that complaints of blurring, etc, may be due to frame blending, and we should not just assume that clip speed is the only variable.