19 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2007 11:04 AM by (Robert_P_Young)

Best Nvidia Video Card?

Level 1
      Anyone have any idea what the best Nvidia video card is for use with Premiere CS3?

From my research at the Nvidia site, and from a call to their customer service (408/486-2000), it seems two candiates are the GeForce 8600 GTS with 250MB of memory and the GeForce 8800 GTS with 320 MB of memory. Both cards have dual monitor outputs. The 8600 costs about $150 and the 8800 costs about $275. Is the extra money worth it?

I will have to purchase two of these cards (because I want to run 3 monitors so this will double the cost right away) and Nvidia says you have to use two of the exact same cards if you are running multiple monitors because SLT technology requires it.

James
        • 1. Re: Best Nvidia Video Card?
          Jeron Coolman Level 1
          SLT or SLI?

If you mean SLI, you can only run one monitor in SLI mode.
          • 2. Re: Best Nvidia Video Card?
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            >Is the extra money worth it?

You probably wouldn't notice any difference with Premiere.
            • 3. Re: Best Nvidia Video Card?
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              >I want to run 3 monitors

Why?
              • 4. Re: Best Nvidia Video Card?
                Level 1
                >Why?

Because once you've had three all at once, you will never go back. :)

James
                • 5. Re: Best Nvidia Video Card?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                  Have a look here: http://digitaltigers.com/zenview.shtml?gclid=CPGQxc2cxooCFSMmIgodKWVhdg

They have better solutions than just 3 monitors.
                  • 6. Re: Best Nvidia Video Card?
                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                    I operate two monitors now, and I am buying a bigger house, so I might have room for three. It is something I will certainly consider if I can find a third to match the first two, or find someone who wants a couple that match. I will sell these and get three perhaps.

I can just picture Premiere Pro on one, Soundbooth on one. and After Effects on one. Hmmm. With four I could fit Bridge on one.
                    • 7. Re: Best Nvidia Video Card?
                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                      >I can just picture Premiere Pro on one, Soundbooth on one. and After Effects on one. Hmmm. With four I could fit Bridge on one

And you'll get whiplash and a torn rotator cuff when you try moving your focus and your mouse from app to app. :)
                      • 8. Re: Best Nvidia Video Card?
                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                        I am staring at my two, and think about how I could curve them around me. No, I think four would work. Or eight if I went with two layers.
                        • 9. Re: Best Nvidia Video Card?
                          TradeWind Level 3
                          I think Steven raises a valid point on one matter...when it comes to a good thing, enough is never enough.

With those 8 monitors, consider an additional computer, and a KVM switch for all of them. :)
                          • 10. Re: Best Nvidia Video Card?
                            Level 1
                            >Have a look here: http://digitaltigers.com/zenview.shtml?gclid=CPGQxc2cxooCFSMmIgodKWVhdg They have better solutions than just 3 monitors.

Yes, thanks; I have seen this. Very nice, however these monitors would would not really work with my set up at this time. If you go to http://www.mecfilms.com/pdg you can see an assortment of photographs showing the editing set up I have devised over the years.

My setup is different from the usual edit room where one sits in front of a monitor or several monitors and edits, often with their back to the client, director and/or producer(s). I have set up my edit room such that it's also a mini screening room. The other parties are in the center and can simply watch the progress or actively participate.

This set up entails three computer monitors on an "L-shaped" console surrounding me: two 19-inch monitors to the left and one 17-inch monitor to the right. The two to the left are used for basic editing. The timeline is on the one most left and the project monitor/bins is on the other monitor.) The 17-inch monitor to the right is for effects and mixer panel. I also have a 52-inch high def NTSC monitor across the room, about 10 feet from the editing console. This allows me to see the show somewhat as an audience will see it in real time as I cut. In addition to the 52-inch monitor, I also have a close up NTSC monitor behind me. I use this to see details and for (color) timing. I sit in a swivel chair so I can spin 360-degrees and "monitor" my three computer monitors and my two NTSC monitors as need be.

Maybe some will find this set up excessive or even a little insane, but I absolutely LOVE it and can't tell you how much I enjoy editing here. I have cut everything imaginable in this studio: features, TV spots, multiple camera events, plays, documentaries, bands, sports, industrials, demo reels. My company, POST DIGITAL GROUP, rents out this studio for only $25 per hour and it's ALWAYS totally booked. When I am required to be there editing, they pay an additional $75 an hour. Our company is in process of building two more such edit suits, hopefully even more insane. Maybe we will incorporate some of these monitors you refer me to in our next setups but most likely my next immediate step will be to replace the 19-inch tube monitors with nice 22-inch widescreen Gateway monitors and the 19-inch tube monitor with a 19-inch widescreen monitor. Again, you can see what I have described at http://www.mecfilms.com/pdg Comments and suggestions welcome.

James Jaeger
                            • 11. Re: Best Nvidia Video Card?
                              Level 1
                              >I can just picture Premiere Pro on one, Soundbooth on one. and After Effects on one. Hmmm. With four I could fit Bridge on one.

Absolutely! Editing has finally become a spectator sport!

James
                              • 12. Re: Best Nvidia Video Card?
                                Level 1
                                >And you'll get whiplash and a torn rotator cuff when you try moving your focus and your mouse from app to app.

No actually, when you get frustrated editing, you can spin wildly around in your chair and watch your show (and universe) become a blur. It's a good release, especially when you also start screaming at the top of your lungs. Of course, if you're in a commercial building it helps for it to be between 1AM and 4AM when you're doing this ... but then, what other time would one possily WANT to edit?!

James
                                • 13. Re: Best Nvidia Video Card?
                                  Level 1
                                  >You probably wouldn't notice any difference with Premiere.

Really? So might as well just get two 8600 GTS cards?

James
                                  • 14. Re: Best Nvidia Video Card?
                                    Level 1
                                    >Really? So might as well just get two 8600 GTS cards?

I have the 8600 GTS 256MB DDR3 PCI express and it will stutter running uncompressed HDV - but I am not sure if that is a function of the video card or if I need more CPU and RAM (AMD 6000+ and 2GB Dual Channel 800 Ram). Or maybe a function of the data coming of a SATA3 500GB drive? Dunno, but, the 8600GTS works great on compressed video in any format.

Hope that helps.
                                    • 15. Re: Best Nvidia Video Card?
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                      Uncompressed stuttering is most likely a disk issue. It requires a very fast RAID array to work properly.
                                      • 16. Re: Best Nvidia Video Card?
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                                        >So might as well just get two 8600 GTS cards?

It'll save you money.
                                        • 17. Re: Best Nvidia Video Card?
                                          Level 1
                                          >...Dunno, but, the 8600GTS works great on compressed video in any format. Hope that helps.

Yes it does. Thanks.

James
                                          • 18. Re: Best Nvidia Video Card?
                                            Level 1
                                            > I have the 8600 GTS 256MB DDR3 PCI express and it will stutter running
                                            > uncompressed HDV

Likely due to disk performance. (you probably meant uncompressed HD).

Best,
                                            Christopher
                                            • 19. Re: Best Nvidia Video Card?
                                              I had the Nvidea 8800 for a while and could not configure it to output full screen PPro preview video to a TV monitor ("Full Screen Mirroring"). After digging around a bit I came to discover that this feature is unalterably disabled for all Nvidea 8800 cards. I ended up switching it out for the Nvidea Quadro 1500, which seems to work well.