6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2008 12:40 AM by Harm Millaard

EX1 wonders

Level 1
      Beeing nothing but a happy amateur, but I must shout out that I am totally , completely blown away by the outstanding quality ex1 footage delivers. 1080,720 - you name it , I'm impressed!
      Native format in ppro - with no need for cineform, cinethis or cinethat - provides a smooth workflow, even though my PC is not top notch.
      So - in summary : a happy user looking forward to work with this machine for many years to come!
        • 1. Re: EX1 wonders
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          Being an amateur it may be even more interesting than for a professional, who can charge the costs to the company to pick up the tab, to stay clear from the SxS cards, that are hideously expensive, almost in the same league as P2 cards (that are on a per minute basis even twice as expensive as the extravagantly priced SxS cards) and only use KxS cards. That will reduce your per minute recording costs from $ 15 to less than $ 1.

KxS: Kensington 7-in-1 media card reader and Sandisk Ultra II SDHC memory cards.
          • 2. Re: EX1 wonders
            Level 1
            I'm fully aware of the KxS solution and my order from BHphoto is just shipped(2x16gb). The KxS possibility was that "single joker" that made me jump to EX1 , otherwise it would have been too expensive as this is just a hobby to me.
            It seems like pansonic-hvx users suffer from lacking a similar solution (KxS), it's a shame and I feel pity for them.
            But I guess prices inevietably will drop on both fronts as this merely is data components , cheap to develop and cheap to produce!
            best..
            • 3. Re: EX1 wonders
              Level 1
              There is such a huge market for Express Card compatable memory, I think us EX1 people will see huge price drops for media. I'm not so sure I am as optimistic about the future of P2
              • 4. Re: EX1 wonders
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                I wish I could share your optimism, but Sony has a proven track record that they never lower prices for their professional products. That even applies to PD-150/170 models still today. They set a price on introduction and it is then cast in concrete. They never adjust prices in a similar way to consumer products. But even if competition heats up, I don't foresee a price drop for 16 GB SxS cards from $ 750 to anything resembling the KxS alternative, maybe if you are lucky, you will see prices around $ 600, but still way overpriced IMO.
                • 5. Re: EX1 wonders
                  shooternz Level 6
                  @Harm

> that are hideously expensive, almost in the same league as P2 cards (that are on a per minute basis even twice as expensive as the extravagantly priced SxS cards) and only use KxS cards. That will reduce your per minute recording costs from $ 15 to less than $ 1.

How does one work out these per minute recording costs?

Does it factor in that the P2 device is reuseable or does it calculate a single use only?
                  • 6. Re: EX1 wonders
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    16 GB card in highest quality is around 16 minutes on P2, 50 Minutes on SxS or KxS. Per minute cost in my example is based on single use. The fact that you can reuse them did not enter because of the simple reason that your investment need to be based on the longest shooting duration you need before offloading to PC. If that is 240 minutes you still need around 15 P2 cards or 5 SxS or KxS cards. Or $ 11250 for P2, $ 3000 for SxS or $ 200 for KxS. I also have not taken into calculation interest cost, depreciation, technical or physical loss of cards, insurance etc.

The simple fact remains that for people that need 240 minutes of recording time for shooting without a wall outlet for offloading, only KxS is interesting. Can you imagine how staggering the costs are if you are going on multi-day trips, say a safari, sailing offshore or mountain climbing?