2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2008 2:09 AM by (Rolf_Muggen)

Ambient noise problem

Hi,

I've been having problems with this weird noise. See, I went to an event a few weeks ago and I took one clip of an actor and recorded it on my Panasonic DMC-TZ5 camera and transferred the footage to iMovie. It seemed fine to me but when it reaches 2 minutes there's this noise that blocks out the actor talking and then seems to fade more into the background at over 3 minutes and you can hear him again for the rest of the video. Is there any way I can eliminate this noise problem and if so, what application should I use? I tried to "normalize clip volume" when opening up iMovie but that didn't really do anything. I've heard of Soundbooth and other audio aps but I have never used them before so I have no clue where to start.

I have uploaded the video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f5ewdeGwVo

I am assuming it's coming from the camera itself while it was recording and maybe the device was overworking itself or something. Any tips or suggestions? I checked some of the tutorials but all they really explain about is how to add audio, increase volume etc, but nothing on eliminating this noise thing.

I would appreciate any advice please! Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: Ambient noise problem
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I think you're screwed on this one. A reshoot may be your only option.
          • 2. Re: Ambient noise problem
            You can export only the sound an then import it into Adobe Audition. In it, there is the option Noise Reduction. If you have a little part where the actor is not talking and you can hear only the noise, it is possible to 'record' the noise so Audition can remove it from the rest of the clip.
            It works but voices can sound a bit funny afterwards. I would say it is probably better than not hearing the voice at all.
            Other then that Jim is right; cut it out or reshoot.