9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2008 7:11 PM by Jim_Simon

CS3 Wont accept mpeg 1 or 2

CS3 Wont accept mpeg 1 or 2 do you know whats going on?

Is there a way to make it accept all file formats? Why does premiere elements accept all file formats but pro cs3 not?
        • 1. Re: CS3 Wont accept mpeg 1 or 2
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          Elements is oriented towards editing such material and is the better solution. PP is oriented towards editing EDITABLE material, which does not include MPEG 1 or 2. Those are delivery formats.
          • 2. Re: CS3 Wont accept mpeg 1 or 2
            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
            Are you using the trial version? MPEG functionality is disabled in the trial.
            • 3. Re: CS3 Wont accept mpeg 1 or 2
              Level 1
              its the trial but its activated now but still wont work!

how do i enable it?
              • 4. Re: CS3 Wont accept mpeg 1 or 2
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                Get the full version.
                • 5. Re: CS3 Wont accept mpeg 1 or 2
                  Level 1
                  have the full version with serial and everything and its activated!

when i go to import it shows that mpeg is accepted in the list but it wont accept it! its accepts mpg but not mpg 2
                  • 6. Re: CS3 Wont accept mpeg 1 or 2
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    There are a great many variables with MPEG files (excepting HDV). That's why they don't make the best source material. Best not to use them at all.
                    • 7. Re: CS3 Wont accept mpeg 1 or 2
                      (Renee_Chevalier) Level 1
                      From Renee Chevalier after months away.
                      I came back here after my RANT at Adobe and still feel that Adobe has let users down.
                      And to the People who call them selves professionals let me say this.

You are a bunch of A-- H--- when you support a product with your type of attitude that it is a professional product dont try to import lesser quality MPEG video into it. Well I guess that leaves us professionals out that do make money making movies and also putting programs up on the PEG stations and doing Commercials. WE who do not sit in judgment on our laurels telling others that they are not professionals if they use an MPEG camera. We who take that footage of a Tornado or a Hurricane and get it ready for the big time news casts. We non professionals who make sure people get the whole story. OH so sorry we are not professionals because we use MPEG footage.

Well I guess my answer to that is sit on your high perch and judge others but every once and a while look at your self important position and kick your self in the A-- Because you deserve it. And if you want me to do it for you I will come and do it for you just give me the time and place.

Adobe has gotten too big for its own good. They are producing programs taking out things that were included in older versions and not including them in the newer versions. And the sales staff doesnt know what is in the program because they are in India and dont use the programs because they make 2 dollars a day.

If Adobe has so many money problems maybe they should take a page out of Toyota's way of doing business. Perfect, Perfect, Perfect, the product to the point where it doesnt have any operating problems at all. Then keep it around for 5 years before you change it again. Hire people who actually use the product and have put it through the paces to the point of making sure that it works in and on all TVs and computers and professional equipment. Hell that product CS 3 and 4 wouldnt even work with my JVC Deck. I have to import footage DV and mini DV footage from a camera or into MS Movie Maker. How professional is that. So MR Professional look at the pros out using the product before you start your rant about what should and shouldnt be used. Remember it isnt February 09 yet. And even after February 09 the PEG stations and even some others will still be broadcasting in non digital format. So the MPEG Format is just fine and is as good or better than the Transmitted TV signal.
                      So Mr. Jim Simon - 4:53pm Jul 13, 08 PST (#58 of 72) and Harm Millaard - 1:51pm Jul 13, 08 PST (#55 of 72)
                      Do you work for ADOBE? Is the only editing you do with a computer screen with a customer that calls with a problem?
                      Get off your high horse.

Adobe has many problems and one is that they are not able to do what is necessary to stay the course and stay in business.

After my rant I called Adobe and asked them about the fix I found on another forum not this one. They said that it would not work. They also said that it was not a sanctioned fix and if it did work by chance they could not tell anyone to do it.
                      • 8. Re: CS3 Wont accept mpeg 1 or 2
                        Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                        Did you have a question, Renee? Or is this just part 2 of your rant?

As I read through your post, there are a couple of things that you said that indicate that you have problems with Premiere Pro that are basic and that are not problems for everyone. Those should be solved before you try to do professional work with Premiere Pro.

Your choice: do you want help or do you just want to rant?
                        • 9. Re: CS3 Wont accept mpeg 1 or 2
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          >OH so sorry we are not professionals because we use MPEG footage.

You should take the "non-professional" comments are referring more to the media that the shooter.

>So the MPEG Format is just fine

As source material for editing, I disagree, as would many professionals. Which is why you find a lot more consumers using than professionals.

>So Mr. Jim Simon...Do you work for ADOBE?

No.