6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2008 10:25 AM by Jim_Simon

Audio Compatability

I apologize at the onset for my lack of depth of knowledge, but I am hoping for a quick education. I make weekly videos of a marching band halftime performance. Now at the end of the season I compile them all into one project. This year I am encountering audio problems in that the audio of the last 3 shows is garbled as it is placed in the new project. I suspect that it may have something to do with the capture settings of the tapes or the project settings being different on these shows. Like maybe the 32000 vs 48000hz thing. Is there a way to make CS3 properly interpret each sequence I bring in or do I have to go back and redo something? These shows were shot with an XH-A1 and a GL2 16:9 as well as a small Panasonic 4:3, if that is of any consequence.
        • 1. Re: Audio Compatability
          Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          What does premiere say the audio streams are? Yes, settings could be a problem, but you need to examine the files to see what what format they are.

> garbled as it is placed in the new project.

I'm not sure what this means. Placed from where? Captured by what process? Does it play okay in the source monitor, but not on the timeline?

What are your project setting?
          • 2. Re: Audio Compatability
            Level 1
            The mismatched audio does play correctly in source but not timeline. Apparently the issue is 32khz vs 48khz audio sample as a project setup. I switched to 16:9 format mid-season and apparently stumbled into the wrong audio setup at that time. I had hoped to bring all of my completed weekly projects into one new project, but the mismatch seems to preclude that. I hoped there might be a work-around. I can divide my compilation into two separate projects, each with a different setup and bring the elements into the appropriate one. I end up with two DVD's anyway, so I can work it out that way, unless someone can suggest an alternative. By the way, I used Import to bring the old projects into the new one.
            • 3. Re: Audio Compatability
              You can test your thought about 32 vs 48k by converting (in Soundbooth or whatever) one of the audio clips to 48K (which I assume is your project setting). Note that the bits are probably 8 and need to go to 16. To change in soundbooth, just open, do as "save as," and, after naming the file, it gives you the options.

But I believe that Premiere conforms audio to the project setting and that you can mix audio formats. (There is no option to "interpret footage" for audio, which would be the equivalent for video that is a different frame rate.) I'm not sure what your problem is - I can't recreate it (CS3) using converted files to 32 or 44 in a 48 project. all of them sound fine. I wonder if soundbooth is doing something that makes the 8bit file more compatible.

I usually convert before bringing into Premiere, so I'm really not sure.

When you say you imported the project, you are sure that what you are looking at are the "original" captures, not files that have been processed or exported?

You can export as 48k, so it should not effect how you author the DVDs.

Since you say "apparently" the problematic clips are 32K, a) what does premiere say at the top of the project window or b) use Gspot or similar to check.
              • 4. Re: Audio Compatability
                Level 1
                I love it when I operate on the fringes of my understanding . . .
                Lets see, I don't have Sound Booth, so that is out of the picture. I find I must use the 32khz project option in order to 1/ click on import 2/ find a previously completed PP project and bring it in, then 3/ open its bin, find a sequence I call Final Cut which is made up of my multicam sequence plus some other stuff, then 4/ drag Final Cut to the new timeline. When I look at the info on that sequence, it shows it to be 32khz. (Oddly the clips that go into the multicam sequence are 48-16, 48-16, and 32-16.)So clearly I used 32khz in the setup for that project and it wants to be in another 32khz project to sound right. When I try to use such a sequence in a 48khz project, it is garbled from the timeline, but OK in the source monitor.
                • 5. Re: Audio Compatability
                  I won't claim to understand this either. I'd like confirmation from someone as to whether Premiere will mix audio formats on the same timeline. As I said, when I have multiple formats, I convert so I have the same assets. But my test of multiple formats was okay.

I made an error earlier; the standard project format for 32K is 12 bit, not 8, and I think the cameras I have used are consistent with that (when they shoot 32K, it is 12 bit).

To locate a clip that is not in a timeline, drill down in the imported project bins; they should be there. What is the format?

The easiest way, of course, is to open the original project and check the source clip. Did you capture in Premiere?

the other workaround is to export the sequence from the original project (as 48K) and import that to the combined project.
                  • 6. Re: Audio Compatability
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    >I'd like confirmation from someone as to whether Premiere will mix audio formats on the same timeline.

Has worked fine for me with 1.5 and 2.0. Can't imagine why it wouldn't for CS3.