4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2008 3:03 PM by Harm Millaard

get video AND audio into source editor window

Level 1
      Hello everyone,

I have some video which has a separate audio file.

.m2v file and .wav file

How do I get both video and audio into my source editor window ?

Seems I'm out of luck if the audio and video are not in a single file.

Thanks for any help gentlemen.

Dave.
        • 1. Re: get video AND audio into source editor window
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          That is only possible if they are linked.
          • 2. Re: get video AND audio into source editor window
            Mortimer IOU Level 2
            Try putting the two files in a sequence. Right-click the sequence in the project window and choose "open in source monitor." That might work.

I'm not sure which version of PPro you have, and I only tried this in CS4, but if the sequence does open in the source monitor then it is not necessary to link any of the video and audio tracks. In fact it should be possible to have multiple tracks of each in the sequence, and then toggle any of the tracks on and off to choose which play in the source monitor. Setting I/O points in the source window will then allow you to insert the sub-clip into a new sequence playing only those tracks that are toggled on. Then you'll have to export that sequence to a video file in order to save it.
            • 3. Re: get video AND audio into source editor window
              Level 1
              Hi Harm,

thanks for the information, can you elaborate on that,, do you mean "linked" as in a .mpg where the video and audio are in a singe file ?
              or do you mean linked in PP where I can then drag both to the source monitor ?

Thanks Dave

Jerry, maybe this is what Harm means ( ? ) thanks for your input.
              • 4. Re: get video AND audio into source editor window
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                Either that, so multiplexed, which can be MPG or DV, but also with DV where you have used SB or AU to 'edit original' and have replaced the sound part with a WAV file and relinked them. PP sees them as one even though they may be different files. I haven't tried it with MPEG/WAV combo's. Just think of it as a man and a woman, linked in holy matrimony, they are seen as one couple. Once divorced they are difficult to get together again, unless they are remarried (relinked).