17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2008 11:46 AM by (David_Zeno)

What to use for capturing online video

Avian Rand Level 1
      I just recently purchased CS3. I am only familiar with Photoshop, Dreamweaver and After Effects. And my knowledge of those is a bit limited. I don't know if this is the right forum but I want to know which tool to use and how to use it to capture online audio/video such as from a site like youtube.

Thanks,

Avian
        • 1. Re: What to use for capturing online video
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          > to capture online audio/video such as from a site like youtube.

That is about the worst idea I ever heard. Have you considered capturing used toilet paper for video productions? Possibly a garbage removal tool is what you are looking for if you seriously consider capturing from YouTube.
          • 2. Re: What to use for capturing online video
            Avian Rand Level 1
            Well thanks for making my first post to the Adobe forums such a pleasure. I'm trying to put something fun together for someone's birthday (not that that's any of your concern). Quality is not the issue here. People like you have no business answering anyone's questions. What a *******. If you don't have anything productive to offer, keep your mouth shut. I'm really not interested in your opinion on whether or not it's a good idea. I'm asking for help. If anyone nice has anything to offer, by all means let me know. Anyone who has to show how much of an jerk they are can go be a jerk somewhere else.
            • 3. Re: What to use for capturing online video
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              You are trying to use a tool for 'pro' use which is UNsuited for what you intend to do. Use any $ 50 consumer application or freeware to achieve what you want to do. If you want to hammer a nail into a piece of wood, you are not trying to use a CC 6-axis robotic machine for that purpose, you just use a hammer, right?
              • 4. Re: What to use for capturing online video
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                Whatever you think of his delivery, Harm has a point Avian. Premiere does often have issues with less than professional media. If editing a YouTube video is your goal, there are probably better programs for the task. VideoHelp.com is a good place to look for such things.
                • 5. Re: What to use for capturing online video
                  Level 1
                  Considering prime time bbc1 documentaries often feature extensive mobile phone video complete with ropey sound (url as reqd.) isn't banning youtube video from use in cs3 seems a bit over-purist?
                  • 6. Re: What to use for capturing online video
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    Only if you do not mind mixing HDV and 5-th generation 320x240 compressed footage blown up to HDV size in the same time line.
                    • 7. Re: What to use for capturing online video
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      >isn't banning youtube video from use in cs3

I don't think it's use it specifically prevented. It's just not specifically planned for, the reasons for which I can understand.
                      • 8. Re: What to use for capturing online video
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        Avian,

You might get some help on www.muvipix.com. Most of the people there are using Premiere Elements, but their "sources" should work in P-Pro. There is mention of several on-line capture programs and services. I do not have any particular articles bookmarked, as I have not used anything FROM YouTube, but others do. In that site, click on Community and the two main areas, I'd check would be the Tip & Tricks and the PE4 sub-forum. You could also post your request in the Premiere Pro sub-forum. A lot of people there are doing what you want to do.

Now, as has been stated, the quality will not be anywhere near DV-AVI, but might get you through.

Good luck,

Hunt
                        • 9. Re: What to use for capturing online video
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          Isn't that a paid site, Bill?
                          • 10. Re: What to use for capturing online video
                            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                            To capture the video: http://keepvid.com/
                            To edit the video: http://www.moyea.com/import-flv
                            • 11. Re: What to use for capturing online video
                              Matt Petersen Level 3
                              Avian, having used Ann's advice to get your video from YouTube and into PPro, you'll probably have to scale the vision (unless you transcode it first in something like Super or Stoik). Don't expect great quality.

Also, do keep in mind YouTube's copyright "guidelines".

News editors and documentary makers have to use sub standard footage (mobile phones, old VHS rips, amateur shot footage) in their packages all the time. Some of you guys need to realise that the story is more important than the format/source/number of pixels. Sure, bad footage isn't ideal, but it's better than a black screen.

MP
                              • 12. Re: What to use for capturing online video
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                I think the point here Matthew is that Premiere may not be the best tool for when you have to use less than professional media. I know there are amateurs out there who don't fully appreciate the complexities of editing certain minds of media, who want and expect Premiere to be able to edit anything, but that's just not the case at this point in time. Perhaps someday it will be, but for the moment, Premiere does often have trouble handling less than pro media. It's a reality we all have to adjust to for the time being.
                                • 14. Re: What to use for capturing online video
                                  Matt Petersen Level 3
                                  Jim, I hear you loud and clear, and I don't disagree.

But the point I'm desperately trying to make is that you can't just say to a news editor "oh, you need to get pro footage", as you simply have to make the best of what you have, whatever that may be.

I don't expect PP to support every kind of footage known to man and beast, I'm just saying it's not appropriate to accuse an editor of being "unprofessional" just because of the type of footage they're trying to include in their project.

If you get to play with well exposed SD or HD all day, then that's great, but not everyone does. Some of us just have to work miracles with what we're dealt.

MP
                                  • 15. Re: What to use for capturing online video
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                    >you can't just say to a news editor "oh, you need to get pro footage"

Quite honestly, I'd expect a news editor to know this stuff already. It's usually the non-professional we're saying this to.

>I'm just saying it's not appropriate to accuse an editor of being "unprofessional"

Again, those accusations should be seen as directed more towards the media than the editor.
                                    • 16. Re: What to use for capturing online video
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                      Jim,

Muvipix has a lot of free content, but you are correct in that it also has subscription content. I *believe* that all of the forums are free, as is some of the resource material, just not all of it. I really ought to know all of the details, but I'm still finding my way around it.

As there are more users of PE, and similar NLE's there, they have a lot more discussion on using more consumer Assets. I know that there have been recent discussions on doing what the OP wanted, and that recs. have been made for programs and services (Web-based) to Capture streaming material. I have never needed to, and do not wish to even think about it, but for others, well they might pick up some good tips.

Hunt

[Edit] Also, I believe that Ann has offered some of the apps, that were mentioned on Muvipix, though there were some others. Do not know what limitations any of these might impose.
                                      • 17. Re: What to use for capturing online video
                                        Level 1
                                        Avian,

If you want to save YouTube videos that you have viewed, use this website: http://keepvid.com

it's free, and it is very popular.

Go to the YouTube video in question, copy the url into
                                        memory ( Ctrl-c )

now go to the keepvid website, and paste the url into the website there ( Ctrl-V)

you'll then be given 2 options, save low res, and save high res.

the high resolution is a .mov I believe and the lower res is a .flv

After the file gets saved to your computer ( the low res file ) you must rename it to .flv ( flv is a flash movie format )

Now download a free viewer for Flv called FLV Player ( it is free and is also very popular )
                                        http://www.applian.com/flvplayer/download_flv_player.php

That's it, you are set to go. This is the easiest way to save movies from YouTube, and is great if you wish to watch a video from time to time, without reloading it from YouTube each time you wish to watch it.

P.S. - download both versions of some videos and see if you really see a bit diffrence between the low and high res movies, sometimes there is a big difference in quality, sometimes there is no difference, it all depends on how the uploader uploaded that video.

Dave.