24 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2008 3:03 PM by Eddie Lotter

Clip Audio issues

I have been using everything just fine and used CS3 to edit last
      night got pretty far along in the project and saved it and closed.
      When I came back this morning all my files were offline so I tried
      Linking the Media but was prompted that a problem existed. So I
      started over but now every time I try to drag a video clip down
      to my timeline there is no audio attached nor does it come up in
      the source preview. Files work fine on all other media players.
      Any ideas what is going on?
        • 2. Re: Clip Audio issues
          Level 1
          Not that you're not completely unhelpful but seeing how you didn't have any actual advice or ideas, which isn't surprising from someone without tact, why even post a reply. Now if anybody actually has a suggestion that could help me I would really appreciate it. I've been fiddling with the tools and trying to see if I could get the audio over to Soundbooth to edit separately but thus far nothing I've done has been effective. I would really like to not have to reinstall or clear the cache files if I could avoid it.
          • 3. Re: Clip Audio issues
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            I thought the following from Harm's link was useful advice, especially the last paragraph.

"Before asking a technical question by e-mail, or in a newsgroup, or on a website chat board, do the following:

1. Try to find an answer by searching the archives of the forum you plan to post to.
            2. Try to find an answer by searching the Web.
            3. Try to find an answer by reading the manual.
            4. Try to find an answer by reading a FAQ.
            5. Try to find an answer by inspection or experimentation.
            6. Try to find an answer by asking a skilled friend.
            7. If you're a programmer, try to find an answer by reading the source code.

When you ask your question, display the fact that you have done these things first; this will help establish that you're not being a lazy sponge and wasting people's time. Better yet, display what you have learned from doing these things. We like answering questions for people who have demonstrated they can learn from the answers."

Far too many people skip steps 1 thru 7 before coming here.
            • 4. Re: Clip Audio issues
              Level 1
              1. Try to find an answer by searching the archives of the forum you plan to post to.
              Have searched through these and nothing that I've found has been able to solve the issue.
              2. Try to find an answer by searching the Web.
              Have searched the web which actually brought me to this site also.
              3. Try to find an answer by reading the manual.
              I have read the email and gone through all the troubleshooting and help guides attached to the program.
              4. Try to find an answer by reading a FAQ.
              Can't find an FAQ that has my problem on it.
              5. Try to find an answer by inspection or experimentation.
              I have been experimenting as I said in both posts and used many of the suggestions I have found and thus far I can't seem to find the problem.
              6. Try to find an answer by asking a skilled friend.
              I actually went and asked my mentor on Premiere what he thought was the problem and we sat down for a few hours tinkering to try and figure it out and have thus far resolved nothing.
              7. If you're a programmer, try to find an answer by reading the source code.
              I'm not a programmer.

Now, I really am not an idiot, I get protocol for assistance with these sort of forums and I really am doing all I can on my end. I really was wondering if anyone had any further things that they thought this issue could be due to other than everything posted already in this forum for the last several pages of topics. My last attempt was to convert the file formats of the video I am working with to try and see if that would resolve the issue but it seems to be doing the same thing for every single file I put into the bin. When I drag and drop it onto my Timeline there is no audio and there isn't any when I preview it either.This is the case with M-PEG's, .movs, .avi's, and .mkv's which I had a horrendous time getting Premiere to acknowledge.

It really is an all of the sudden issue that happened within a matter of hours. Any ideas about what is behind it.
              • 5. Re: Clip Audio issues
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                Drive letters and/or incompatible media?
                • 6. Re: Clip Audio issues
                  Level 1
                  Checked both those. Drives are right all my Codecs are supported. The weird thing is that everything was working just fine until I saved the project and closed Premiere. When it reopened my files were offline so I tried Linking them but got an error that closed Premiere and when I reopened it I could see the video files again but all my work in the Timeline was gone and I could no longer see an audio bar attached to the video files. I have uploaded an mp3 and it shows up fine in the sequence and I can hear it fine; its just video for some reason.
                  • 7. Re: Clip Audio issues
                    Level 1
                    I just cleared all the cash memory for Premiere and Soundbooth to make sure. Now the other video files EXCEPT the ones I need to use are working fine. =P
                    • 8. Re: Clip Audio issues
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      >This is the case with M-PEG's, .movs, .avi's, and .mkv's

The first and last aren't good options. The middle two aren't video codecs, their just file extensions. The codec used is critical information.
                      • 9. Re: Clip Audio issues
                        Level 1
                        well the extensions that are wacky right now are my avi files. They are working just fine in VLC and DivX. Everything else works fine now. Why do you think it would be an issue just with the one file format?
                        • 10. Re: Clip Audio issues
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          The codec. We still need to know what's inside the file. If it's Divx, that could very well explain the weird behavior. Ideally it should be DV media you captured from a DV camera. So try that and see how things work.
                          • 11. Re: Clip Audio issues
                            Ruud Blauw Level 1
                            You can find out which codec is inside your files with GSpot or MediaInfo .
                            • 12. Re: Clip Audio issues
                              Level 1
                              oh sorry. They're all M-Peg 4 with Mp3 audio. Nothing abnormal. Working fine with XviD
                              • 13. Re: Clip Audio issues
                                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                Peter,

Sorry to say this, but you're oh-for-three. MPEG4, MP3 and XviD are problematic source media no matter which program you use to edit.

-Jeff
                                • 14. Re: Clip Audio issues
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                  Jeff's right, Peter. The files you're trying to edit are almost certainly the cause of your difficulties. The solution is simply not to use those files.

Use DV clips that you captured yourself from a DV camera. (Or HDV, P2, XDCAM EX, etc.)

The main point is, Premiere is a professional level editor that works best with professional source media. Your trying to edit consumer media that was designed solely for watching, not editing. It's no wonder your having difficulties.
                                  • 15. Re: Clip Audio issues
                                    Level 1
                                    Yes this is true. This is a project for a friend and its becoming increasingly frustrating to accomplish. I may just have to convert these into different media sources to do this. I'm gonna charge him though. =P
                                    • 16. Re: Clip Audio issues
                                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                      > I'm gonna charge him though.

And if you use the free conversion tools that are widely available, your profit will be that much larger!

:D
                                      • 17. Re: Clip Audio issues
                                        hi there guys. My first time here und to save us all some posts, I just wanted to make sure that I did the all the things of the above - and YES - I have the same problem. Well, not the quite the same, but almost.

The problem here is, that my AVI-files (captured by Premiere 1.5 from my sony videocamera) don't work anymore. Well, they work, but there is no sound.

When I export them (the files that have no sound when used by Premiere), the sound is there. When I play them on media player, the sound is there - only in preview or any other view that Premiere 1.5 offers there's a problem.

I reinstalled the program - did not help.
                                        I checked "project - preferences - playback settings - and unchecked the "playback on dv device" opiton.
                                        I am completly lost here.

any help? since converting will not help - the files were captured by the program itself!!

cheers
                                        • 18. Re: Clip Audio issues
                                          Level 1
                                          I just checked the audio mixer.
                                          Is it normal, that I can't do anything with it?

and "audio hardware" says: Realtek Digital Output (...-1
                                          ... and is - of course - grey.

I'm helpless here ...
                                          • 19. Re: Clip Audio issues
                                            Eddie Lotter Level 4

You need to get ASIO drivers for your soundcard. Visit the manufacturer's Web site.

Otherwise, please provide these details to help us help you.

Cheers
                                            Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                                            - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                                            - Over 250 free tutorials
                                            - Maintained by editors like you
                                            Forum FAQ
                                            • 20. Re: Clip Audio issues
                                              Level 1
                                              he, wow - thanks a lot.
                                              That is the first useful comment I EVER found or got on the internet.

I found abut 20 threads on the net, with people having the same trouble and they all got no solution.

think, I'll try this, and - I'm sure it will - if it works, I'll revisit those forums, spreading the word.

thx a lot!
                                              cheers
                                              • 21. Re: Clip Audio issues
                                                Eddie Lotter Level 4
                                                >That is the first useful comment I EVER found or got on the internet.

Then we're not using the same Internet. :P

Cheers
                                                Eddie

Forum FAQ
                                                • 22. Re: Clip Audio issues
                                                  Level 1
                                                  Alright, let me rephrase that:

That is the first useful comment on this topic that I EVER found or got on the internet.

And it might well be, that we're on a different internet, since I'm from Austria, I usualy browse through the german-language forums first ... although I never really got any helpful comments there.

It's more like this (a few days ago concerning the same topic as above): "Use a Mac."

Very helpful, isn't it?
                                                  • 23. Re: Clip Audio issues
                                                    Level 1
                                                    by the way: It worked!!!
                                                    thx a LOT
                                                    • 24. Re: Clip Audio issues
                                                      Eddie Lotter Level 4

You're welcome. Happy editing. Happy editor

Cheers
                                                      Eddie

Forum FAQ