5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2008 5:42 PM by Dag Norum

Garbage matte not working!!!

I am having this problem where the lines and bounding boxes around a matte 4,8 or 16 point do not actually line up with the edge of the matte, making it virtually impossible to get the matte to the proper place. Furthermore in many cases the video will vanish completely when a matte is added unless the matte positions are left unchanged...

long story short, this severely limits what i can do with my projects!!!
        • 1. Re: Garbage matte not working!!!
          shooternz Level 6
          I feel your pain

Its a known issue (and a P I T A)

Supposedly fixed in CS4
          • 2. Re: Garbage matte not working!!!
            Dag Norum Level 2
            There are ways around it though. The bug is there only when the effect is selected, yes and therefor hard to see what you do, but it does work correctly when not selected.

- Put a copy of the layer that you need the garbage to line up with on top of the layer you are applying the garbage matte to.
            (I say "the layer that you need the garbage to line up with" because sometimes it can be the background layer, and other times the foreground layer.)
            - Select the layer with the garbage matte and select the effect.
            - Now you can adjust the garbage matte, yet still see the important layer (not being screwed up). You can also set the opacity down (to for example 50%) on the top (copy) layer if you feel the need to see through.
            - When done, remove the top copy.

Dag
            • 3. Re: Garbage matte not working!!!
              Level 1
              Wow... i just tried your suggestion of applying the matte to a duplicate layer, and it seems to be working... Thanks Mr. Norum!!! Although this is still a very annoying problem!!!

I had one more question, i have been having a problem, where when i place a still layer (.Jpg, .Psd) on top of a video layer it will not stay at the position that i designate... and will jump around by about 30 pixels on certain frames... i was just wondering, is there a workaround for this problem too?

thanks in advance.
              • 4. Re: Garbage matte not working!!!
                Level 1
                Oh actually the work around does not seem to be working... when i play the sequence the mask disappears again... Crap!!! Can anyone confirm that this has been fixed in CS4?
                • 5. Re: Garbage matte not working!!!
                  Dag Norum Level 2
                  >i just tried your suggestion of applying the matte to a duplicate layer

Not what I tried to explain.

New example:

Video layer 3: Copy of the clip (or background), NO garbage matte applied here.
                  Video layer 2: The clip with the garbage matte applied
                  Video layer 1: Background

Click on clip in Video layer 2, and then click on the garbage matte effect in "Video Effects".

Now do the adjustments to the garbage matte.

Deselect the garbage matte effect in "Video Effects" and remove (or click the eye-ball) in Video layer 3.

This (the above) works quite fine for me.

Your other problem I have never seen, but you should see if you somehow have managed to get keyframes when you have moved the still around when placing it to where you wanted it.

Some people have said that the garbage matte bug has been fixed in CS4.

Dag