26 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2008 11:28 AM by (Anthony_Jurus)

Grainy dissolve

Hi,

I'm relatively new with CS3 so please bear with me.
      I've been doing fairly well, but am perplexed by a problem that
      should not be happening.
      At the end of my video, when I place a dissolve in, it is
      grainy---not a clean fade to black.
      I noticed it looks fine when I export to tape, but it looks terrible
      if I export to Encore and burn a DVD.
      I have Windows XP with a Tb of hard drive space. The system has
      3 GB of RAM and the processor is 2.50 GHz.
      The hard drive is a SATA - 2 Mirror RAID.

The DVD is a lower quality, but the dissolves within the piece are fine.

I would appreciate any help that someone could provide.

Thanks,

AJ
        • 1. Re: Grainy dissolve
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Too low a bitrate is the only thing I can think of.
          • 2. Re: Grainy dissolve
            Level 1
            Jim,

Thanks for the reply. I use Progressive High Quality on my export setting. Under another export setting, I have the basic video quality
            at 4.0 (highest is 5.0)
            The bitrate settings are:
            VBR, 2 Pass
            Min: 1.5
            Target: 4
            Max: 7

I tried raising the max to 8.0 and it didn't make any difference.
            Should I try changing the minimum or target rates?

Thanks for taking a look at this.

Anthony
            • 3. Re: Grainy dissolve
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              If you don't understand encode settings let Encore do it for you. Export as movie and import into Encore. Encore will do the rest.
              • 4. Re: Grainy dissolve
                Level 1
                Thanks Harm---
                I tried the Encore method, but the grainy dissolve persists.
                I'll keep trying to figure it out.

AJ
                • 5. Re: Grainy dissolve
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  Can you post the last few seconds online somewhere, in MPEG2 format with those same settings? Maybe if we could download and see the result...
                  • 6. Re: Grainy dissolve
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Anthony,

Which Dissolve did you use, and exactly how is it applied, i.e. the Clips before and after the Dissolve?

Hunt
                    • 7. Re: Grainy dissolve
                      Level 1
                      Hi Bill,

I am using a cross dissolve at the end of the video.
                      I used it throughout the video between clips and it works like
                      it should. For some reason, the end dissolve is grainy.
                      I have no idea why this is happening.

If I output to tape, the dissolve works just fine. When I send it to
                      Encore to create a DVD, the result at the end is grainy. I wonder if there is a certain setup I am missing when Encore is involved......

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Anthony
                      • 8. Re: Grainy dissolve
                        shooternz Level 6
                        What does it cross dissolve to if it is at the end.

Try dip to Black.
                        • 9. Re: Grainy dissolve
                          Dag Norum Level 2
                          Shot in the dark, but...

Maybe you should try to cross dissolve to black video at the end?
                          (File, New, Black Video, which you put at the end of your timeline)

Dag
                          • 10. Re: Grainy dissolve
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            Dag,

You stayed up late and beat me to the punch. That is always how I end a Sequence - with 02 sec. of Black Video and either a Dip-to-Black, or even a X-Dissolve, but TO the Black Video.

Hunt
                            • 11. Re: Grainy dissolve
                              Dag Norum Level 2
                              Hunt,

>You stayed up late

No, that was early (well, not very) this morning, here were I live.

>beat me to the punch

Actually Craig beat me (if I just hadn't done the spell-check, then...)

>That is always how I end a Sequence - with 02 sec. of Black Video

That's what I do also, especially when I export to .wmv, which seems to never go quite to black unless having the black video at end.

>and exactly how is it applied, i.e. the Clips before and after the Dissolve?

You did beat both Craig and me, coming up with the right question!

Dag
                              • 12. Re: Grainy dissolve
                                Level 1
                                Hi Gentlemen,

Thanks for the ideas. I tried adding black and adding the
                                "dip to black" but same result. When I view it on the timeline, export it to tape it is fine.
                                Once I export it to encore to create a DVD, the entire video comes
                                through fine except the dissolve at the end which is grainy.
                                I wonder if there's something wrong with my system? Encore?????

This is such a simple transition and yet it's not working like it
                                should---at least on my system.

If anyone has any other ideas, I would welcome them.

Thanks again,

Anthony

PS Is there a way to post a short clip somewhere thereby showing
                                the grainy dissolve?????
                                • 13. Re: Grainy dissolve
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                  There are many upload sites. I like flyupload because it's free and you don't have to register.
                                  • 14. Re: Grainy dissolve
                                    Level 1
                                    Jim,

How do I upload a clip from a DVD? That's where the
                                    dissolve is grainy.

Thanks,

Anthony
                                    • 15. Re: Grainy dissolve
                                      Level 1
                                      I tried another video tonight (after 2 different
                                      pieces yesterday) and the end dissolve was clean.
                                      The only difference in the creation was a shorter video used to
                                      test the dissolve.
                                      Tomorrow I will create a much longer video to see if it
                                      is still clean.
                                      I've never seen anything like this before, not in Avid or
                                      Adobe......
                                      • 16. Re: Grainy dissolve
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                                        If you still have a problem, you wouldn't upload from the DVD. You'd upload the exported MPEG from Premiere.
                                        • 17. Re: Grainy dissolve
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                          Anthony,

That is odd. Same system, same NLE, same Dissolve, just different footage and you get two different results.

Tell us a bit about the original Asset, i.e. what format is it? Which Video Track (VT) is it on and is there anything on the VT's below it? Are there any Effects added to this Clip?

Another workaround might be to place Black Video on the VT below this Clip, and extending a few seconds past it. Then, Keyframe the Opacity of the end of the Clip from 100% to 0%. You could just Keyframe the Opacity, without the Black Video, but since you are having a problem, I'd add it below, just to be certain.

Good luck,

Hunt
                                          • 18. Re: Grainy dissolve
                                            Level 1
                                            Hi Bill,

I appreciate the tips. I tried using the keyframe method, but
                                            same result----grainy dissolve. This is basically driving me
                                            crazy at this point.
                                            My original video is mini-DV and I'm using VT 1 with nothing
                                            below it and no effects.

I created a short (8 sec) video last night and sent it to Encore
                                            and was happy to see a clean dissolve. Today I created a
                                            10 minute video and sent it to Encore the exact way and there's
                                            my grainy dissolve.
                                            HELP! My father-in-law will stop by this weekend to take a look.
                                            He might be able to assist.........

I'm a good editor with lots of experience in Avid---this
                                            dissolve issue is making me wonder about my system.....

Thanks for all of the ideas---if you have more keep them coming!

Anthony
                                            • 19. Re: Grainy dissolve
                                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                                              I had a really weird sound issue with fades recently. There was absolutely no logic to it. I can only guess something somewhere got corrupted. I found a way around to make it work, but never discovered a real why for the issue.

So far I see nothing 'logical' about your problem, so I have to wonder if something illogical is going on. A slight corruption in the project, some bad code, something.

As a test, select and copy all the clips from the problem sequence. Start a brand new project, and paste the clips into a new sequence. Try exporting from there just to see how things look.
                                              • 20. Re: Grainy dissolve
                                                Level 1
                                                Jim,

That's a good idea. Would I just "copy" the entire timeline
                                                and "paste" it into the new project? (Is that the entire process?)
                                                By the way, I exported the project tonight to the desktop
                                                and sent it to Roxio My DVD 9. It went in and lo and behold
                                                the end dissolve was CLEAN! I am so psyched that it worked.

That said, I still would like to have Encore work the way it
                                                should for me. It's nice to know I have a fall back option now,
                                                though. I would like to upgrade to CS 4 and hope that Encore would
                                                not be a problem.

I truly appreciate everyone's advice. It is really cool to be
                                                able to have access to this forum and have so many intelligent
                                                people help out with issues.

Thanks,

Anthony
                                                • 21. Re: Grainy dissolve
                                                  shooternz Level 6
                                                  Import the old project into a new project.
                                                  • 22. Re: Grainy dissolve
                                                    Eddie Lotter Level 4
                                                    >I'm a good editor with lots of experience in Avid

Some of your problems may well be your inexperience with PPro. You will find links to many free tutorials in the PremiereProPedia that will quickly show you how things are done in Premiere Pro.

Cheers
                                                    Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                                                    - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                                                    - Over 250 free tutorials
                                                    - Maintained by editors like you
                                                    Forum FAQ
                                                    • 23. Re: Grainy dissolve
                                                      Level 1
                                                      Craig and Eddie,

Thanks for the tips. I will enjoy the PremiereProPedia----
                                                      it should help a lot.

Anthony
                                                      • 24. Re: Grainy dissolve
                                                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                        >Would I just "copy" the entire timeline and "paste" it into the new project?

Yes.
                                                        • 25. Re: Grainy dissolve
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                          Anthony,

Maybe just keep the "grainy dissolve," and post it to Vimeo or YouTube. In a few weeks, people will be posting, "how did he do THAT?"

Good luck, and glad you do have a fallback.

Hunt
                                                          • 26. Re: Grainy dissolve
                                                            Level 1
                                                            Good one, Bill! I'm glad that I have a 2nd way now too.
                                                            I'm sure I'll come across a few more interesting scenarios
                                                            to ask the knowledge folks!

Thanks again for taking the time to look at the issue.

Anthony