9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2008 5:31 AM by (tristan_wira)

How to convert 32 fps footage to 24 fps for slowmotion effect in premiere pro cs3?

Hi there,

Can somebody give me any advice on this?

Is there something specific i need to adjust in the preset? or can i just richt-click on the footage in the timeline and convert it to 24fps?

Is it best to always shoot at a higher frame rate then 24fps..lets say for this particular clip and subject 32fps?

i'm doing this for a videoclip and we thought that such an effect would be nice during the choris of the song.

I hope somebody can give me some advice on this. Thanks in advance for the effort. much appreciated.

grts. Tristan
        • 1. Re: How to convert 32 fps footage to 24 fps for slowmotion effect in premiere pro cs3?
          shooternz Level 6
          If you shot it at 32 fps, you simply import it into a project that is 24 fps or what ever. That will produce the slo mo result you desire.. If you need to slow it further...richt click>Speed-Duration.

What did you shoot this with ? (ie what camera?)
          • 2. Re: How to convert 32 fps footage to 24 fps for slowmotion effect in premiere pro cs3?
            Level 1
            @craig howard,
            tnx a lot for the advice

i haven't begun shooting yet, I'm planning on shooting the videoclip this week and will do that with a panasonic hvx 200 or a Sony HVR-V1e

regarding the sony: it depends if the cam can do a variable frame rate recording

but if i understood you correctly: in order to have some parts of the clip in slowmo, i reckon to import the desired footage into a project with 24fps right?

the other parts that has to be in realtime..what kind of projectsetting do you recommend if i have to export for the web and maybe tv broadcasting (pal region)?

thnx again, grtz
            • 3. Re: How to convert 32 fps footage to 24 fps for slowmotion effect in premiere pro cs3?
              Dan Isaacs Level 2
              But why shoot at 32 fps? Assuming you are using the HVX-200, why not shoot 25p or 50p -- assuming your target is PAL -- or 24p if you want to do "film-like" recording.

But to answer your question:

> in order to have some parts of the clip in slowmo, i reckon to import the desired footage into a project with 24fps right?

Yes, I suppose you could do that. Then go to "Interpret Footage" and set it to 24 fps. This will result in 75% of the original speed in a 24p project.
              • 4. Re: How to convert 32 fps footage to 24 fps for slowmotion effect in premiere pro cs3?
                shooternz Level 6
                Its simpler than that if you use an HVX guys

PAL region you need a base 25 fps project.

To shoot slomo on the HVX you should shoot 720pn which is HD at a frame rate higher than 25fps. eg 26 toi 50fps.

Note:You can not shoot slomo to tape.(ie miniDV)

If you need SD you dubb the 720pn from the P2 card to a minidv tape and you have slomo on tape.

No need to interpret footage.

Tristan - seems you need to do a bit of reading about how slomo works. Basically shoot at a high frame rate and play it back at a normal rate.
                • 5. Re: How to convert 32 fps footage to 24 fps for slowmotion effect in premiere pro cs3?
                  Level 1
                  @Dan Isaacs

tnx for your reply: reason why shooting at 32fps is because the audio on the set has been speeded up with 133%. I thought it's best to stay in the same ratio in order to have the lips sync on the audio (this is in realtime)cuz when slowing down the footage to realtime speed the lips must be sync with the audio which is also in realtime speed

If I make sure that when slowingdown the footage in the project,it matches the realtime speed of the audio...,

does it matter at which frame rate I shoot?

@Craig Howard

Well..I just got word of the rental company and there is a big chance that they have the panasonic HVX200 ready for me when i need it, SO i think that will be the one

So it will be as follow: shooting on a hvx200 at 32fps or if it doesnt really matter at 60fps for a better slowmo effect

of course i will shoot on High Def ;) and will need the p2 cards, after shooting I will capture/import the footage from the cards as you guys adviced me to do...

my main issue was thinkin I needed extra software for downconverting the framerate in order to get the slowmo effect, e.g.: cineform aspecthd

I think that i'm full circle now..or am i missing something?

hehe..tnx again guys!
                  • 6. Re: How to convert 32 fps footage to 24 fps for slowmotion effect in premiere pro cs3?
                    shooternz Level 6
                    You do not need extra software. Its nothing to do with down converting.

What you shoot is what you get.

Do some playbacks off the P2 card when you shoot. It will playback in slomo if you shoot at high framerate. Thats what you will get in the NLE as well.

Now ...I am not sure about how you are going about the shoot and the entire workflow you have planned.

Seems you are going to shoot to sped up audio and edit to slomo footage! Why?
                    • 7. Re: How to convert 32 fps footage to 24 fps for slowmotion effect in premiere pro cs3?
                      Level 1
                      tnx for your reply:

for slomo playback in the NLE i can shoot at any rate higher then 24fps?
                      and for realtime playback in the NLE (what is that exactly, the edit software?) i always have to shoot at 24fps? (in order not to have the whole videoclip in slowmo haha)

regarding workflow in short:
                      Ill do the high frame rate shooting scenes seperate from the standard frame rate speed (if that's what you mean)

but the main reason why shooting at 32fps is because the audio on the set has been speeded up with 133% (guideline for the artist). I thought it's best to stay in the same ratio in order to have the lips sync on the audio (this is in realtime)cuz when slowing down the footage to realtime speed the lips must be sync with the audio which is also in realtime speed

I can also shoot at 36fps but then i'd have to speed up audio on the set with 1,5. But i'm affraid that will be to fast for the artist to lypsync.

or do you have any other suggestion regarding the workflow in lypsyncing the slomo footage with the mp3 audio (the artists song)?
                      • 8. Re: How to convert 32 fps footage to 24 fps for slowmotion effect in premiere pro cs3?
                        shooternz Level 6
                        PAL region is 25 fps. (You keep mentioning 24 fps?)

'Slo mo basics'. You shoot more frames per second than the playback rate - which in PAL land is 25fps. Therefore any higher shooting frame rate than 25 fps will give you slomo.

The edit system (NLE) project would be 25fps for a PAL project.

You need to do your math based on 25fps to establish the frame rate to match the high speed audio playback. (NOT 24fps which of course is easier). Remember the final audio will playback in the NLE at 25 fps.

Tip . You can do a frame rate change to "adjust" the video to the audio in the NLE but I suggest you shoot very close to the frame rate that the maths tell you will be close to a match.
                        • 9. Re: How to convert 32 fps footage to 24 fps for slowmotion effect in premiere pro cs3?
                          Level 1
                          okey...tnx again for the advice...i keep learning from you..hehe..

i think that i got stuck with the advice i got from a forum regarding slowmo recording, they were talkin about a project based on 24fps,

in pal region it is 25fps your right. Then i don't really know why they would be talkin bout 24fps, maybe because the particular camera they were talkin bout doesn't reallly register 25 fps but 23,98 fps.

but assuming you're right (which i dont doubt) i'd have to basy my math on a 25fps rate in the project..

so therefore 25(project):36(on set) in same ratio that would be (devided through 8 ) 3,125:4,5 gives me an acceleration of 144 procent for the audio on the set...

correct me if i'm wrong...

tnx again mate..(Y)