12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2008 11:56 AM by (chris_j_gearing)

slow timeline scrubbing ...even with a new hard drive ?

hi all,
      i have purchased an new 3gz quadcore Q9650 with 8gb ram on vista 64.I've also placed my scratch disk and project files on a 10k rpm wd raptor.
      I had my older pc running a 3gz q6800 with only 4gb ram on xp.
      My new pc has an even SLOWER timeline when scubbing hd projects.
      I'ev checked my raptor hard drive speed and is way above speed of my operating system 7.5k rpm samsung.
      CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME TO FIGURE...

WHY IS MY TIMELINE SCRUBBING SO PATHETICALLY SLOW ??
      (I know it's hd video but i am sure the relatively slow mouse movements should not cause a few seconds lag to find where I'm up to on the timeline?)

thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: slow timeline scrubbing ...even with a new hard drive ?
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          What else have you got in the way?
          • 2. Re: slow timeline scrubbing ...even with a new hard drive ?
            Level 1
            hello Harm,
            I'm guessing by what in the way you mean "what else in the system"?
            The MOB is P5Q and video card EAH4850 ASUS.
            The strange thing is that when I first built the pc, all was well as I loaded cs3 first up to see what benefit i had over the last pc.
            I'm pretty sure that all continued well till recently but as usual, not sure what could have caused this latest change?
            ... on an aside, I did notice and place in this forum, that the imported/captured hd video was "default saving" the file as a *.mp3 !!
            VERY STRANGE.
            I found the only way I could import it to the new hd project was to rename to mpeg and all went ok..... except pathetically slow !
            Could this have caused a problem.
            I think?? this recent problem with the mp3 file extension, has come about after I installed tthe latest "realplayer" software to obtain streaming downloads.
            Again,
            Thanks for your time and appreciate your comment.
            Chris G.
            • 3. Re: slow timeline scrubbing ...even with a new hard drive ?
              Level 1
              with PP CS3, the software would be screaming fast ! , it really seems Adobe has jumped the gun on CS4. Every forum I frequent is plagued with these same troubles.

Dave.
              • 4. Re: slow timeline scrubbing ...even with a new hard drive ?
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                How did you import/capture from what camera?
                Renaming mp3 to mpeg does solve anything. It is still the same codec. So what is the codec used?
                Try removing realplayer, recapture some footage in a properly set project and see what happens.
                • 5. Re: slow timeline scrubbing ...even with a new hard drive ?
                  Level 1
                  Thanks guys for your input.
                  Firstly Dave, It IS cs3 I'm using...? but never been happy with timeline lag. (thats why I went for 8gb ram and latest chipset and cpu)
                  Harm,
                  I opt for hd 1080i for my project setting.
                  I've an HC3 sony and use the cs3 interface to capture the tape onto disk.
                  As mentioned, it is extremelty strange that during this time of capture, even the heading during capture states "capturing untitled clip.mp3" (i can email the screen dump to look at if required)
                  I cannot see where there is any option to change the default import.
                  Nonetheless, as stated, if I change the file name to *.mpeg, all imports fine. (not sure if this is part of the reason the timeline is slow during edit of this captured file??)
                  The codec Harm, should be the mainconcept as I understand cs3 uses this.
                  I have also mainconcept hd plugin and this is ALSO slow scrubbing when using the same captured file.
                  Thanks again for assistanc.
                  • 6. Re: slow timeline scrubbing ...even with a new hard drive ?
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    Did you use an Adobe 1080i preset or the MainConcept HD preset? Are you sure it was not captured as .M2V format? Did you try capturing with HDVSplit?
                    • 7. Re: slow timeline scrubbing ...even with a new hard drive ?
                      Level 1
                      Very pointed questions Harm.
                      1.Did you use an Adobe 1080i preset?... YES. originally as per the last 10 years.

2.MainConcept HD preset... not for capture but tried for a new project and imported the captured ADOBE project file (the renamed mp3)
                      Normally the adobe or mainconcept captured file has been mpeg2.

3.Did you try capturing with HDVSplit?
                      Never used it. Should/Why would I?

I did however Harm, capture the same footage with ulead moviefactory that did capture the source tape info as a mpeg2. All worked well with moviefactory (it's obviously not my choice for hd video edits) but did work fine.

thank you again and look forward to your comments.
                      • 8. Re: slow timeline scrubbing ...even with a new hard drive ?
                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                        I can derive from your remarks:

1. The camera setup is correct. You can capture with Ulead.
                        2. The fire wire cable and connection is not at fault.
                        3. Something messed up with the PP preset while capturing.

and assume:

4. You did not capture audio only, which would cause MP3 files, for the simple reason that renaming them to MPG does show video as well as audio.

You could try the free HDVSplit to capture. It offers scene detection as the major advantage over PP. (Usually Adobe only takes three generations to offer scene detection that others have offered for years, so there is hope for CS6).

If HDVSplit captured files do not show this slow behavior, we have at least located the problem to the PP capture. If not, we'll have to look further.
                        • 9. Re: slow timeline scrubbing ...even with a new hard drive ?
                          Level 1
                          You are correct on all account Harm.
                          I've just downloaded and recording the same tape that I'm relating this issue with you.
                          I will tape it for the hour to try it imported back into cs3 and check it's scrubbing speed etc as a new pp 1080i project.
                          I will let you know as soon as it's finished.
                          I have already noticed it is saving the captured scene files as m2t's.

stay tuned and thanks again.
                          • 10. Re: slow timeline scrubbing ...even with a new hard drive ?
                            Level 1
                            hello Harm,
                            I'm back with news....
                            The hdvsplit worked flawlessly,!
                            yes, it is good to have the scenes split and also dated ?(didn't even know I could get this info auto named on a split file)
                            It imported in cs3 fine.
                            I used the same project settings ie. pp 1080i 25fps.
                            I did mimic cut n shut on timeline footage.
                            For the entire hour of timeline, I can now click anyway, have instant video response and zero timelag when scrubbing !!
                            WELL DONE !!
                            So I guess now, you are going to tell me to remove my real player and then if that's not fixed cs3, reinstall ??
                            It may be that whatever is causing cs3 to capture this wrong named mp3 is also causing me the problems...
                            never heard of this but I'll wait to hear from you prior to doing anything.
                            THanks again.
                            Chris G.
                            • 11. Re: slow timeline scrubbing ...even with a new hard drive ?
                              Harm Millaard Level 7
                              It works now with the HDVSplit captured files, even with RealPlayer installed. It looks to me there is no need to remove Realplayer then. So the question remains, what caused PP to misinterpret your source material, since that seems to be the cause of your problems. I dunno. It is weird. If you still have this MP3 capture issue after a reboot, I suggest you perform a repair installation. If it still does not work, then you can try if removing Realplayer and repairing PP again will solve it. If it still does not work, I would contact TechSupport, because I can't think of any other way to solve this.
                              • 12. Re: slow timeline scrubbing ...even with a new hard drive ?
                                Level 1
                                Hi Harm,
                                Thank you for your assistance with this problem.
                                You have provided a work around that for the time being will do me.
                                (I haven't got too much spare time to be playing and last time I played around with reloading cs3, all other adobe programs were affected)
                                I will however keep your recommendation available till next time I require a software rebuild!
                                THANK YOU AGAIN FOR ASSISTANCE
                                CHRIS G.