5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2007 8:08 AM by (natem)

exporting from PPro CS3 -- lots of trial and error - and Cineform?

Level 1
      Rather than showing up on this forum out of nowhere and asking, "what is the best codec for exporting HDV edited material from PPro CS3 when the desired presentation is standard definition DVD" I thought I would do my homework first, and post my results. Then, if anyone has any suggestions on how to improve or if their mileage has varied from my results, I hope to learn from your comments.

My camera is a canon HV20, filming in 1080/60i and capturing using HDVSplit (due to premiere's inability to keep my audio and video in synch). I am operating in Windows XP Pro w/SP2 with a dual core AMD 6000+, 2GB dual channel DDR2 800 RAM. Seems powerful enough for me.

My finalists in terms of visual quality when burned to DVD using Encore CS3, 7MB 2 pass VBR, came down to these:

1) H.264 max bit depth
      2) QT Animation Sorenson
      3) QT Animation Sorenson3

The H.264 takes a little longer to encode, but the visual quality wins out.

So, after doing this and reading posts on here about using Cineform AspectHD I thought I would download a trial and see what it does for me. The strange thing is, I don't seem to understand what advantage it offers, but surely it must be something since it costs $500!

After trying the Cineform trial for a couple of days, I'm not sure I understand what good it is doing. The CFHD files have to be rendered upon placing on the timeline, and they have longer render times when applying standard effects such as the Premiere color correction and time-remapping effects. No apparent difference in visual quality, but much larger file sizes to store. So why is it that folks use Aspect HD???

Hoping if you read this far you will share your preferred HDV-->SD export codecs and settings so I and others can learn from your efforts.

Oh yeah - and eventually, I will be purchasing a blu-ray burner so I want to export these same projects from Premiere into blu-ray format. But for now, it is standard def in 16:9 format.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

MS
        • 1. Re: exporting from PPro CS3 -- lots of trial and error - and Cineform?
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5
          mystroh,

If your CFHD files need to be rendered, then you must have failed to use a Cineform Preset. And without the Cineform Preset, you don't get the advantage of realtime and acceleration.

If you can't primarily use the Cineform effects, it will be less valuable, however, if you need to save out a CFHD and use it in another application like After Effects, the generational loss is not anything close to as severe as native HDV.
          • 2. Re: exporting from PPro CS3 -- lots of trial and error - and Cineform?
            Level 1
            >My finalists in terms of visual quality when burned to DVD using Encore CS3, 7MB 2 pass VBR, came down to these:
            1) H.264 max bit depth
            2) QT Animation Sorenson
            3) QT Animation Sorenson3
            The H.264 takes a little longer to encode, but the visual quality wins out.

I agree with you on these - my computer setup is nearly identical to yours and it works well putting out these formats. As for AspectHD, when I installed the trial, the preset folder when opening a new project was empty, so I had the same experience as you with respect to not seeing the benefit. Maybe I had a problem with the install and should try it again.
            • 3. Re: exporting from PPro CS3 -- lots of trial and error - and Cineform?
              Jeron Coolman Level 1
              The only way I've ever been able to install AspectHD properly involved manual registry tweaking and manual DLL registering. If you contact tech support they can walk you through it.
              • 4. Re: exporting from PPro CS3 -- lots of trial and error - and Cineform?
                My computer is similar to Mystroh and Esc in KC. I am not as picky and I want to work in standard definition, I've been making movies in Premiere since version 5.5. In Premiere Pro version 2 I have been making movies using 3 different Sony videocams, usually about 30 minutes long, and exporting to tape and DVD.

So, I splurged for CS3 Production Premium and installed it. No problem.

I composed my first movie called 'Swindle Part 1'and exported it to Encore, (direct to DVD - no authoring) and it bombed near the end of the transcoding phase with the following message:

PGC "Swindle Part 1" has an error at 00;29;46;09. Internal software error: %0, line Swindle Part 1, ref = Bpgc, time = 00;29;46;09

The referenced timecode is one second from the end of the sequence.

I tried again with different clips in a different project and got the same error message.

I can successfully export this movie to tape and to a movie.

Any ideas?
                • 5. Re: exporting from PPro CS3 -- lots of trial and error - and Cineform?
                  Level 1
                  Try exporting a muxed file using the MPEG2-DVD format from Premiere.