13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2007 9:22 PM by Ulf Laursen

Workflow reg. subclips in PPRO CS3 WIN

Ulf Laursen Level 1
      Hi,

I have a challenge regarding subclips. Here is what I do:

1. Put a DV PAL AVI file into my sourceviewer.
      2. Make in- and out-point
      3. Right-click and make subclip
      4. Name the subclip in the bin

I continue throughout the whole file.

When I use the clips with straight cuts everything is fine, but when I want to use transitions between the clips, it seems to me as if there is no lead media allthoug the subclip comes from the middel of the source file.

I find this workflow great, beacuse I can collect good parts and name them all along, and then put them in order on the TL afterwards.

Is there something wrong in my workflow here, do I miss something?

Thanks.

/Ulf
        • 1. Re: Workflow reg. subclips in PPRO CS3 WIN
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          No version of Premiere Pro has handled subclips correctly. 2.0 (and now CS3) has finally gotten the creation of subclips right, but both still do not handle them properly in the sequence.

It should be possible to simply drag the end of a subclip in a sequence, thus revealing media from the original clip. Premiere 6.5 did this right. This allowed for easy addition of transitions.

But with CS3, that media is incorrectly unavailable to the subclip while in the sequence, thus forcing the user of subclips to double-handle each subclip and create a second set of In and Out points leaving the required 15 frames available for transitions.

Others may have other work arounds, but it would be best if Adobe fixed the problem outright by making source media available to the subclip by default when in the sequence. This may require a Feature Request.
          • 2. Re: Workflow reg. subclips in PPRO CS3 WIN
            Ulf Laursen Level 1
            Thanks Jim for the explanation. Have made a featurereq. let's see if it makes it into a future version some day :)

/Ulf
            • 3. Re: Workflow reg. subclips in PPRO CS3 WIN
              Eddie Lotter Level 4

Frequently answered question

Cheers
              Eddie

Forum FAQ
              Premiere Pro Wiki
              - Over 250 frequently answered questions
              - Over 100 free tutorials
              - Maintained by editors like you
              • 4. Re: Workflow reg. subclips in PPRO CS3 WIN
                Ulf Laursen Level 1
                Thanks for this link, Eddie - have to try this out, looks good. :)

/Ulf
                • 5. Re: Workflow reg. subclips in PPRO CS3 WIN
                  Eddie Lotter Level 4

You're welcome. Happy editing. Happy editor

Cheers
                  Eddie

Forum FAQ
                  Premiere Pro Wiki
                  - Over 250 frequently answered questions
                  - Over 100 free tutorials
                  - Maintained by editors like you
                  • 6. Re: Workflow reg. subclips in PPRO CS3 WIN
                    Ulf Laursen Level 1
                    Now I had some time yesterday to do some testing reg. this.

Normally my workflow is so that I can just mark in/out in the sourceviewer and send the clip to timeline, either insert or owerwrite and then move along the clips in time. In this way I get clips that I can use transitions on if I want/need to.

If I have some media where I need different clips from different places in mixed order, I found it good to make subclips along playing the file and then name them. Afterwards it was easy to place them in the correct order in the TL. The only thing reg. this is the lack of ability to use transitions.

I saw the function 'Edit subclip', and it works to extend/narrow the clip in both ends. In this way I could extnd the clip to make 'transition media' if needed, but it is a bid complicated this way. First I should make the subclip. If I then needed a transition, I should extend the clip first and thn narrow it again in the timeline to get media for the transition.

I then tried another thing. I made a 'dummy' sequence. In this seq. I dumped the clips with correct I/O-points on directly from the sourceviewer and renamed them (without making subclips of them). Then I could copy/cut and paste them into my real sequence and use transitions if needed. I only tried this with a few clips from a small sourcefile. It worked ok, but I am not sure that Premiere was intended for this kind of workflow with constantly changing sequences, so I am not ure it will work with big projects.

How is your workflow if you would make a project like my described one?

Thanks.

/Ulf
                    • 7. Re: Workflow reg. subclips in PPRO CS3 WIN
                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                      Overlap your clips by the length of the intended transition when you place them in the timeline.

The benefit of PPro's current subclip implementation is that you cannot inadvertently add unwanted frames to a subclip by adding a transition.

The drawback is that you can't modify the length of a subclip in the timeline by dragging or adding a transition. You have to use the Edit Subclip options.
                      • 8. Re: Workflow reg. subclips in PPRO CS3 WIN
                        Ulf Laursen Level 1
                        Thanks Jeff - didn't think og that at first, but it makes it a bid easier even.

Well I will find a decent workflow for the time being - hope Adobe will put this in a future upgrade / version.

/Ulf
                        • 9. Re: Workflow reg. subclips in PPRO CS3 WIN
                          Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                          Adobe has the option to provide handles when trimming a project in the Project Manager. That same capability as a preference should allow you to do one of three things when creating subclips:

1. Provide handles in addition to the selected material
                          2. Provide handles by automatically trimming the selected material
                          3. Not provide handles

The bahavior could be modified using Modifier keys.

The automatic trimming would be a welcome addition to insert and overlay directly from the Source monitor or Project Panel.
                          • 10. Re: Workflow reg. subclips in PPRO CS3 WIN
                            Ulf Laursen Level 1
                            Thanks Steven, but I can not see it 100% - sorry..

Not sure where to set the "handle" thing.

I open my file in sourcemonitor
                            Select in/out
                            rightclick and select make subclip
                            name subclip

New I/O, rightcklick etc.

Can I somewhere tell PPRO to make handles of xx frames automaticly? I can of course go to my I/O points and move them manually with f.ex. shift + left/right arrow and make new I/O's but I'm not sure this is what you mean.

Did search the help file, but did not find much - sorry for keeping asking reg. this.

Thanks again.

/Ulf
                            • 11. Re: Workflow reg. subclips in PPRO CS3 WIN
                              Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                              Ulf,

My previous post was in the form that I used to submit the feature request. There is no way to automaticall provide handles.

You must manually allow for them. Adobe really needs to address this issue eventually.
                              • 12. Re: Workflow reg. subclips in PPRO CS3 WIN
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                If they would just correct the subclip issue and allow dragging beyond the ends while in the sequence, all would be well again. As it was in 6.5.
                                • 13. Re: Workflow reg. subclips in PPRO CS3 WIN
                                  Ulf Laursen Level 1
                                  Thanks a lot guys for all help. I realle apreciate it! :)

/Ulf