14 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2009 7:27 AM by Jim_Simon

Export to QT Movie - flickering on right side

bojesen Level 1
      When exporting to "Movie", 1920x1080, various codecs,the right quarter of the images flicker in a "seperate" window. Have tried H264, DV PAL and Apple Intermediate Codec. Any suggestions, please?
      Sigurd
        • 1. Re: Export to QT Movie - flickering on right side
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          Details and more accuracy. DV PAL can never be 1920x1080. And refrain from double posting.
          • 2. Re: Export to QT Movie - flickering on right side
            bojesen Level 1
            Apologies for double posting - realised caption spelling error late.

Camera: Sony HVR Z7E
            Material imported: M2T files from Memory recording unit HVR-MRC1
            Premier Pro CS3 version 3.2.0 (374)
            Import presets tried: XDCAM HD 1080p25 and XDCAM EX 1080p 25 (HQ)
            Export settings: Movie/Millions of Colors, 1920 x 1080, frame rate 25.00, square pixels, recompress - maintain data rate

To view problem: http://www.tv-moen.dk/millaard.mp4

Have two more problems - 1) Premiere crashes far too often, 2) exporting to tape - any useful links, please?
            Sigurd
            • 3. Re: Export to QT Movie - flickering on right side
              bojesen Level 1
              Additional info:
              When playing in Program window, picture is fine but on stopping right side is black see http://www.tv-moen.dk/flickering.jpg
              Sigurd
              • 4. Re: Export to QT Movie - flickering on right side
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                Your trying to import HDV footage into an EX1 preset. That might cause issues. Maybe try using an HDV preset.
                • 5. Re: Export to QT Movie - flickering on right side
                  Iskanderdumacedon Level 1

Having the same issue with the same CF recorder and a different camera:

Using Premiere Pro CS3 v. 3.2.0
                  Importing .M2T files from Sony HVR-MRC1K recorded with Canon XH-A1
                  Files are 30F, 1440x1080 with a PAR of 1.333

I'm using the 30p HDV preset that comes with Premiere.

Footage appears fine when editing in Premiere or playing in Media Player Classic.

When I export at 1920x1080 (square pixels), my new files have an odd, flickering repetition of a part of the left side of the frame in the right third of the frame (see attached picture).

This problem is codec-independent: I get the same results exporting to Quicktime, .WMV, H.264, or Lagarith .AVI.

This problem does NOT happen if I export to a different size or pixel aspect ratio.

This problem does NOT happen with footage captured from tape through Premiere Pro (.Mpeg extension).

This problem does NOT happen if I "Interpret Footage" in Premiere Pro and select "Conform to Square Pixels (1.0)" and then scale my footage horizontally by 133.3% in the Effect Controls after placing the clip on the timeline.

The problem-area seems to me, to be occupying the difference in space that would be taken by 1440x1080 footage with square pixels and 1920x1080 footage with square pixels.

I'm thinking this problem is going to be hard to fix since it's so hard to describe.  Just my 2p.

• 6. Re: Export to QT Movie - flickering on right side
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

This problem does NOT happen if I export to a different...pixel aspect ratio.

There's your answer.  You're working with 1440 x 1080, export the same.

• 7. Re: Export to QT Movie - flickering on right side

Ah.  Forgive me, but that sounds more like a work-around than a solution.

I'm quite sure this should be well within the range of Premiere's

capabilities.  As I mentioned, Premiere has no trouble with HDV files

captured from tape, which are also 1440x1080.  I've already figured out my

own workarounds, but my workflow would be quicker and more efficient if I

could get Premiere to behave as it should.  Still, thanks for the input, I'm

glad to see someone's listening. . .

• 8. Re: Export to QT Movie - flickering on right side
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Sigurd,

There was a similar post, not too long before the forum changeover (2-3 mos. back?). I recall some replies, but do not know if the problem was solved.

Though most of the CS4 forum did get moved, I was unable to find that post, with a search. Maybe you'll have better luck, than I did. The title was actually similar to yours, but do not recall if user was on Mac, or PC.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Export to QT Movie - flickering on right side
                          bojesen Level 1

Hunt,

This is indeed a revival of my old post that you refer to (posted in CS3 and therefore not moved to CS4) and I apologize for not reverting at that time.

Iskan...,

Jim's latest answer is the solution and not a work-around - export as 1440/1.333 and the flickering should cease.

does NOT happen with footage captured from tape

M2T files and imports from tape have different structures.

Sigurd

• 10. Re: Export to QT Movie - flickering on right side

Oddly enough, I've tried that, too and I just get a pure black video file,

however, I think that may be the Lagarith codec that I'm using. . . I'll

have to experiment further.

Since I posted, I've been working on a project that is 60i instead of 30F

(30p), and I don't seem to be having the problem there either.

Additionally, I haven't had the problem at 24F.  Sigurd, I see you were

using a 25fps project setting.  Is this problem only with 25p and 30F/p

projects?  Seriously, thanks for your help everyone.  I guess I'm just

feeling to stubborn to accept that I have to live with this limitation.  I'm

sure I'll eat those words. . .  Thanks.

-Iskander

• 11. Re: Export to QT Movie - flickering on right side
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Oops! Well, I KNEW that I'd seen it before...

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Export to QT Movie - flickering on right side
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

Ah.  Forgive me, but that sounds more like a work-around than a solution.

I disagree.  If you're working with 1440 x 1080 media with a 1.3 PAR, you should be exporting at 1440 x 1080  with a 1.3 PAR as a matter of course.  It's not a word around, it's standard practice.

• 13. Re: Export to QT Movie - flickering on right side

Okay.  I'm phrasing this carefully so that (hopefully) no one will think I'm

saying something I'm not.  I agree that keeping your footage in original

format and PAR is generally going to be the best, and yes even the standard,

practice.  I'm not arguing that, and I'm not attempting to get into a

formatting-philosophy-face-off here.  That said, there are plenty of

situations in which one will find themselves needing to change the

resolution and the PAR of their output to fit certain devices, software and

other requirements (not all players support all PAR's).  Premiere normally

does this rather fabulously.  However, in this case, I'm finding myself

having to manually scale the width of each and every clip in order to get

Premiere to stretch the footage and interpolate properly.  That's why I'm

saying this "seems like a workaround."  In my case it simply doesn't work at

all.  Whether or not you feel like it's a good practice, it's the format I'm

having to produce for my deliverable here.  That's also why I'm looking for

a "solution" on these forums.  I appreciate the workflow advice too, but

it's just not what I'm after.

• 14. Re: Export to QT Movie - flickering on right side
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Well said, but I just don't know how to fix it the way you want.  My general advice in these matters is to use a player that will correcntly interpret the 1.3 PAR.